Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230 Silver
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the 230 in the garage and a neighbor called me at work and said my alarm keeps going off so I went home and shonuff, its going off every few minutes. Just went off again. Frequency is about every two minutes. Advice? Toubleshooting? WTF is up with this? Will it shut up after I get back to the office?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
Do a search, it seems that this happens fairly often. As I recall, it is often caused by a leaky trunk seal or something allowing water into the trunk which in turn damages the PSE unit that sits to the right of the spare tire. The PSE unit is the Pneumatic pump and controller for the door locks and alarm I think. There have been other causes as well but I can't remember. I haven't had this problem myself...any first hand experiences out there? If you have your radio code (to reset the radio) you can always disconnect the ground on the battery so you can go back to work.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
143 Posts
There's a pump buried behind the trunk (PBS, PDF, can't remember the exact name at the moment -- sorry). When it gets wet, it shorts, setting off the alarm at odd times. When it gets really bad, it will lock/unlock doors, etc as all the locks are hooked up to it.

MB replaced mine under warranty and the problem went way.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
No shit, do this, I had alarm issues too right after I bought mine. Deathy tipped me off I think to it.

Go into the car, put the key in the ingnition and turn off and turn off the alarm with the key in to just ready to start position. Seemed to work fine for me. It went off for 3 days in a row for no reason, once I did this, it never went off again.

Its like, you can't reset the alarm once it goes off unless you put the key in the ignition and turn it on and off for a few times.

If you do this, you might have luck.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
493 Posts
What you're saying makes sense, johnboy. The way you program your car to autolock upon driving is by doing an incantation something like you described...ignition on, push buttons, ignition off, etc. That probably resets the module everyone is referring to that controls both the locks and alarm.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Point of interest, if you don't have the radio code....

Your closest dealer can look up the code on their computer. Easy for them to do.
If you happen to have a spare Benz radio, you can get the code for that too. You need to give them the S/N of the radio and the VIN of your car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts