Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!

I really like the look of the W124 wagon but I don't know where to start buying one

Is there a beginner's guide out there? Do I assume that non-wagon W124 advice is the same for a wagon?

What should I look for when I get to view a car? What are the typical things that go wrong with these cars? I want to keep the car for a long time and take care of it so buying the right one will be essential for me.

I appreciate any advice that you can give,

thanks!!

Chris

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,466 Posts
First year for the wagon in the USA was 1987. All were turbo diesels. For 88 the diesel went away and was replaced by the same 3.0L I6 gas engine found in other US 124s. They got the 3.27:1 final drive, presumeably for hauling capacity. Otherwise unchanged from 87. 89s were the same as 88s inside and out. I'll let someone else more familiar with the 90-up examples take over from here.
All the 87-89 had the full array of electrical equipment as standard fare. 3rd seat was optional but 99% had it. Leather is almost never seen but just about everyone thinks his/her car has it. All were rear wheel drive only with self-leveling hydraulic rear suspension (SLS).
The same demons plague the wagons as plague the sedans: rust around the jacking tubes and general uncarriage rot. For rust belt cars anyway. If you want to keep one long term buy it down south or out west unless it's been pampered. The a/c evaporators are notoriuos for leaking but none of my 88s have had the problem.
They're really great vehicles but take your time and get a good one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great site, thanks!

Would anybody be able to take a picture of a W124 engine bay and PhotoShop on there some indication of where I can find the:

Head Gasket
There is an area near the right rear of the engine-block mating area where an oil channel and a water channel run close together, and also the oil channel is very near the outside edge. Over time, the original head gasket tends to seep a little in this area. Sometimes the gasket material between the oil channel and water channel gives way. Look for a slight oil film in the wather reservoir. Look oil leaking on the right side of the block near the back

Top Timing Chain Cover
Look for oil on the engine block near the front on the right-hand side between the block and the alternator

This would be a huge help to me, thanks! Chris

·
Registered
85 300 TDT
2,260 Posts
My advice is to go slow and do your research. As you can see from my avatar, after a year plus looking up and down the eastern U.S., my research paid off nicely (actually found it in my home town...). Start with the Hampton area, then maybe go up to Richmond. DC isn't all that far either. One thing you have down there is a huge military presence, Look in and around the bases. I'm thinking that excellent examples are becoming quite rare. Your plan B might be to get an acceptable wagon for a decent price and put aside a grand or so to get all the systems up to speed. What to look for? Do a search on this site (top left of the page), which I have found to be excellent. Good Luck. Your perfect wagon is out there.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz 280TE 1993
114 Posts
Don't forget to check the rearmost windows for rust.
All you have to do is lift the rubber seal from the cargo area. That allows you to see the metal lip where the window seal attaches. My car is right now in the bodywork shop to have that sorted. If it is too far gone you would be looking at major surgery to have it corrected.
Another area to look at is the aerial's (antenna) hole in the bodywork which tends to rust under the rubber seal.

Good luck.
Fernandez

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
Fenandez, My wagon is also in the shop getting that rust area cleared up...and some monoblocks. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your plan B might be to get an acceptable wagon for a decent price and put aside a grand or so to get all the systems up to speed.
Thanks for the responses - well said about the plan B....

I saw a listing for a wagon that "needs an a/c overaul and a new water pump"

They said the symptom of the water pump issue is white smoke coming out of the exhaust... could this be true??

How much would an a/c overhaul cost me?

I will start searching through the forums to get to know the vehicles better

Chris

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
A/C can be very expensive. If they have to replace the evaporator they have to remove the dash. Say $2000. I would hold out for one that has working AC.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts