Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am in the market for a W124 wagon

I have seen one that looks nice and is described as having the 4MATIC light on because "it needs front wheel bearings"

Is this understaing the severity of this light?

From what I have read, the 4MATIC system can be really problematic

Thoughts on 4MATIC's reliability?

thanks, Chris

·
Registered
95 E320 Cabriolet, 140K
1,332 Posts
What light is on? I doubt it needs new wheel bearings for a number of reasons. For one, if that's all it needed, the present owner would have had this simple problem taken care of to get rid of the light. I've never heard of bad wheel bearings cause a light to come on, except for a bad wheel sensor or related tone wheel. He's just tossing in any old excuse to downplay the problem, which is undoubtedly more serious. Assume the worst. Ask to have the "light-on" condition properly diagnosed.

I'll have others address the common problems with 4Matic reliability.

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
I've had no problems with my 4matic, but from what I've read, it is the Achilles Heel weakness of my wagon.

I would avoid one "with a story" - there are too many bargains out there these days without stories.

That said, I love my 4matic wagon. I do not get out much in snow, but I won't be the guy stuck on the hill.

My previous SUV cost 10 times more, but I only liked it a little more.

·
Registered
1991 300TE 4MATIC, 1984 300TDT, 1971 Datsun 510 wagon, 1969 VW Squareback
31 Posts
So I am in the market for a W124 wagon

I have seen one that looks nice and is described as having the 4MATIC light on because "it needs front wheel bearings"

Is this understaing the severity of this light?

From what I have read, the 4MATIC system can be really problematic

Thoughts on 4MATIC's reliability?

thanks, Chris
I assume you'r talking about the one on Ebay that is going to end in a few hours?

I'm thinking of bidding on it.... I'm with the others as far as bearings being the culprit is unlikely... but if it's cheap enough :)

·
Registered
1991 300TE 4MATIC, 1984 300TDT, 1971 Datsun 510 wagon, 1969 VW Squareback
31 Posts
I assume you'r talking about the one on Ebay that is going to end in a few hours?

I'm thinking of bidding on it.... I'm with the others as far as bearings being the culprit is unlikely... but if it's cheap enough :)
Well, I bought it. Flying to Ohio Tuesday to drive it back down to Atlanta.

Ordered $400 in parts yesterday (front wheel bearings, front rotors, front pads, neutral safety switch, a few other odds and ends).

We'll see if it is that simple :)

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
Could you add a link to the closed sale? I never looked at it...how many miles, how much? :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could you add a link to the closed sale? I never looked at it...how many miles, how much? :)
Here is the link to the vehicle:

eBay Motors: Mercedes-Benz : 300-Series (item 270240572662 end time May-30-08 12:29:17 PDT)

111,000 miles and it went for $3,550

QUote from the description: "-It also needs front wheel bearings. It still can be driven but i would recommend getting them fixed quickly. The 4matic light is on because of the wheel bearings, There are 2 sensors around the wheel bearings causing the light to be on. When the light is on the car drives in Rear Wheel Drive so there is no damage to the all wheel drive system."

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts