Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1986 560SL
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it was nice this past week, I decided it would be a great time to dismantle the grill and refresh the plastic pieces that were so faded. In order to be thorough, I decided the plastic piece that the emblem mounts to should also be painted. Little did I know that the adhesive holding the emblem to that piece could be used to hold an airplane together. There could be a screw hidden in there for all I know.

Needless to say, I suffered some deep cuts in my fingers and managed to bend the emblem trying to remove it from it's base, so I'm looking for a replacement.

If anyone has a parts car available I'd love to purchase the emblem (and plastic base) from the grill. Thanks! :)

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,494 Posts
Since it was nice this past week, I decided it would be a great time to dismantle the grill and refresh the plastic pieces that were so faded. In order to be thorough, I decided the plastic piece that the emblem mounts to should also be painted. Little did I know that the adhesive holding the emblem to that piece could be used to hold an airplane together. There could be a screw hidden in there for all I know.

Needless to say, I suffered some deep cuts in my fingers and managed to bend the emblem trying to remove it from it's base, so I'm looking for a replacement.

If anyone has a parts car available I'd love to purchase the emblem (and plastic base) from the grill. Thanks! :)
I'll sell you mine.

But it comes with the car.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts

FYI Vic, the '72 and very earliest '73 models had a one piece metal star in the grille, and it will retrofit.

·
Registered
2006 SL65 AMG, 2003 S55 AMG, 2003 S600, 1979 450SLC (and many other 107's)
299 Posts
I have a good one on one of my parts cars. PM me for info.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1986 560SL
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
sorry, didn't see the date.
Not a problem, somebody just recently bumped it so it's easy to miss.

I have a good one on one of my parts cars. PM me for info.
Hurray! YGPM

I just taped my star emblem carefully w/painter's tape and it came out nicely.
In retrospect, this is by far the best way of doing it. The adhesive on mine was already 80% deteriorated so I figured I would just remove it and re-apply. It was a bad idea.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,320 Posts
In retrospect, this is by far the best way of doing it. The adhesive on mine was already 80% deteriorated so I figured I would just remove it and re-apply. It was a bad idea.
My '86 is like that. I will learn from your mistake and try to glue the loose part.
Thanks for posting. Glad someone came through.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1986 Mercedes 300SL r107
179 Posts
My '86 is like that. I will learn from your mistake and try to glue the loose part.
Thanks for posting. Glad someone came through.:thumbsup:
I used a tiny screw driver and gradually pried the star and plastic apart, then sanded the old glue off and put on some new stuff, worked great :)

·
Premium Member
1998 SL 500 - Sport & Pano : 2014 E350 4Matic - Luxury : 2015 GLK 350 4Matic
301 Posts
I have the same problem on my 86, the star is partially hanging loose from the plastic base. What kind/brand of adhesive would work bets?
David

·
Registered
1986 Mercedes 300SL r107
179 Posts
I have the same problem on my 86, the star is partially hanging loose from the plastic base. What kind/brand of adhesive would work bets?
David
I just used a two part epoxy, I can't remember what brand but any good quality brand should suffice

·
Premium Member
1998 SL 500 - Sport & Pano : 2014 E350 4Matic - Luxury : 2015 GLK 350 4Matic
301 Posts
Thanks for the info....I assume this would work.

"3M Scotch-Weld DP190 Epoxy Adhesive 1.7 oz Duo-Pak 3M Scotch-Weld DP190 Translucent is a flexible, two-part adhesive that cures at room temperature and provides high strength bonds with good performa"

David

1 - 18 of 18 Posts