Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im lookin for a heater fan control for a 91 190e i just bought it as a little project and seems to me that the heater control likes to work when it wants to so im lookin for a used one so i dont have to pay alot of money..by the way im located in boise id so if someone on here is there with that part please let me know thanx

·
IR MODERATOR
9,228 Posts
contact rjb aka bob hes parting one

·
Registered
234 Posts
Is it stopping intermitentily when you have your heat on and does it seem to run all the time when you have it set on the cold setting or a/c running. did you just notice it this winter. The reason I ask it may not be your fan, switch or relay give me more of a discription of the problem you are having

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it stopping intermitentily when you have your heat on and does it seem to run all the time when you have it set on the cold setting or a/c running. did you just notice it this winter. The reason I ask it may not be your fan, switch or relay give me more of a discription of the problem you are having

well i bought the car just recently and the guy said that the heater didnt work and he didnt want to take it into the shop blah blah blah so i figured i got the car for 1500 il deal with it myself and fix it my self just takes a little research. thats how i found this site..anyways i got a wild hair and took the center consol off and was like maby theres a bad connection (after i checked the fuses under the hood, wich were all fine, with good connections) so i was like ok ill check the connections on the back of the fan control and vent control yada yada yada and so im looking at it all and checking the connections and put everything back together and i just said F it im going back to work and when i comeback out to leave i turn the key and low and behold its blowing like a mother!!! and i got so excited and checked it all good A/C nice heat all that and then when i get out of work i get in the car to let it warm up and let the heater heat up and nothing no heater AGAIN so i pulled the fan control seeing thats what ive narrowed it down to and i took that apart and cleaned all the connections with rubbing alchohol and everything..and now im here typing this..sorry for itbeing so long too but thats the a-b on it

·
Registered
234 Posts
try this and see if your fan comes on before you replace the switch. On the right front frame rail next to the engine is a small pump it is the auxillary water pump for the heating system unplug it and see if your fan works now. When this is bad the cars are equipped with overlaod protection and it shuts the system down. It may not bee the problem but I like to try and help cover all bases before someone spends money on parts. I have a guide here that might also help http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w201-190e-d-class/1358590-troubleshooting-mercedes-benz-190-e-d-210-tempmatic-climate-control-system.html

Auxillary Water Pump

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
man you are a god send!! i love the DIY stuff here..im guna try that first thing in the morning seeing its dark outside...i dunno if i said this befor but i noticed today when i was puttin the center console back when i push the vent select buttons i can hear the clicking in the fan switch part and i can hear the vents opening up and closing when i choose diff ones...anyways ill try this first thing in the morning thanx man

·
IR MODERATOR
9,228 Posts
change all the fuses your car will thank you. doesnt matter if they are still good or not

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so i tryed the aux motor and checked the relay behind the battery and nothing :crybaby2: so im going to try a few more things and see if they work when one thing goes wrong in the system does the entire thing stop working??

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so i didnt get to try anything elese on that DIY list of troubleshooting stuff but i did call a local benz repair shop and asked them if they knew and he had me try a few things and nothing and then ofcourse he said just bring it down and make an appointment blah blah blah but im still stuck wow wish you were closer or you cud just call me lol

·
Registered
234 Posts
Not always when something in the system such as the auxillary pump going bad draws to much power the system shuts down to protect its self. If you dont have it get the w201 manual it has a section on the Tempmatic system it will help you familuarize yourself with the system and come in handy later.

Modified Technologies, Inc | Enthusiast Gear

I am beginning to think you are correct on the switch being bad. Replace it and see if it works if it dont then something else is bad causing it to shut down. There is some real good testing procedures in the manual for the system. Let me know what you find

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ya know i would love to just jump out and switch that thing out but i dont have the money to do that right now...i took out the switch and took the housing apart and cleaned everything off real nice and made sure that it all looks right but is there a way to test it or to test the relays that are in there next to it? or is there a way to cross those wires and bypass the switch for now and just to check to see if thats the problem?

·
Registered
234 Posts
yes you can test it get the manual above it is a large file. I messed up and posted the wrong link before now I fixed it. There is testing proceudres for just about every part of the system alog with wiring diagrams that will show you what should be hot when the switch is in a certain position. Did you check the fuses in the top of the OVP relay behind the battery. Its a long shot but might as well make sure there good they can cause lots of problems. You might also try starting the vehicle turn your fan on and the wiggle your key switch around even turning it back a little sometimes the ignition switch goes bad and can cause a problem with the other electrics in the vehicle.

Also check this if you have not. on some models there is an auxillary fuse box seperate from the main box it is located on the same side as the fuse box just further forward see pic it will house a fuse for the blower and it should be 30 amps. I also attached a wiring diagram for your car below

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
checked the relay behind the battery and there bolth fine i checked that this morning hmm lets see i will look through that guide again i already downloaded it today once and it seemed to be a little messed up when i tryed installing it so i had to go into it and find the single pdf files on there own and sift through them all but ill look through again..and the fuses in the aux fuse box are all fine i checked them there are two red fuses and then the plug style fuses (relays?) i dont know how to check them but they looked fine as well

·
Registered
234 Posts
you can search those files in adobe reader just open adobe and click on edit and then go to search then select the file where the pdf's for the manual are and type in a word for what you are looking for. Remember in this search sometimes less is more.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I would check to see if you are getting any power to the switch. If power to the switch test to see if power is leaving the switch and use the scematic to tell you what it is going to. if you have no power to the switch then you will have to back up to the protection relay and fuses. then you may want to do an ohm test on the resistor behind the battery it is what tells the fan how fast to go. I am not sure how many ohms it should carry. You might also try a direct power test to the blower motor and check blower motor connections.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
well i grab a light tester from my dads garage and checked the wired behind the switch and im getting power to all of them so i belive i need to check the blower motor next if im not mistaken? and then i got a voltage meter with ohm test and continuity but how would i check the ohm load on that resistor im new to this kindof conplex electrical thats why im a little hesitant to things like this but i wanna do it myself befor i BLOW a shit ton of money in a shop for them to do some little gay trick and then charge me the alldata time for it lol but i wont be able to get to that till monday i work all weekend and monday is my day off cuz im guna do this right and right the first time so ill take it to my budys shop and use all his tools and what not

·
Registered
234 Posts
I would start by testing the motor. In the tempmatic tutorial is the process for removing the blower. I am not sure if you will have to take it all the way out to test it but it is not a hard task if so. let me know what you find at the motor and we can go from there

1 - 20 of 33 Posts