Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'73 450SL, '83 300CD, '01 E320 4matic
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am located near Syracuse NY, and am looking to buy a good condition diesel Benz. I've had a few, and they've been great cars. I'd like to find a W123 300D, 300CD, 300TD (N/A or turbo is fine), or 240D (manual only) in good condition. A 617T powered W126 300SD would also be considered.

300D's and 240D/MT cars are preferred:thumbsup:

Most in NYS are plagued with rust, and people are looking to get in excess of $3500 for rusty cars with 300K+ miles. I have owned rusty 123s and have driven them for years and many miles for $600-$1000. A reasonable price for a rusty car. I have traveled all over NYS this past week looking at 'diamonds in the rough' advertised on CL and elsewhere. Each has just been simply rough. I've accumulated over 1000 miles looking for a good car, and I've come up empty handed, so I thought I'd see if one could come to me. The best cars I've had were ones that I was not looking for. The good ones seem to always appear when I don't need one.

SO... I'll just be honest about what I'm looking for, and hopefully somebody has a good one.

I'm looking for minimal to no rust, under 250K miles.

I don't mind minor mechanical problems. These cars are approaching or exceed 30 years old.

The occasional faulty window or power lock, or even screwy climate control doesn't bother me.

Excessive leaks of any kind are bad. Defective glow plugs and valves which have not been adjusted in anyone's recent memory suggest a lack of maintenance to me.

I am happy with an automatic transmission if it functions correctly. Slips and flares, burnt fluid, and slow engagement in forward or reverse could be minor or major, and I'd like to avoid that. The manual transmissions are, of course, pretty much indestructible.

I can live with a ding here and there, or a minor glass chip. The last 300D I had had over 300K miles and the interior still looked and smelled like new. Some wear and tear consistent with a 25-30 year old car is acceptable. Torn seats, missing carpets, severely damaged headliners, or obvious long term water leaks/mold and horrible odors are not. I have seen a lot of that in my travels recently- each time being told what was normal for such an old car. I have owned 7 old MB's, none of which had horrible interiors or rotten smells. Some showed more wear than others, and that is ok.

So if anyone has a good one with in a 200-250 mile radius of Syracuse NY, please let me know. I've had a couple of PMs from my message in the 123 forum, and I'm looking forward to seeing some nice cars, owned and properly taken care of by BW members, rather than all these old bombs that looked like someone dragged them out of a lake that the general public is selling out there.

I've done business with BW members in the past, and I have had nothing but good luck. I'd rather continue the tradition of dealing with people who know what these cars are.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

·
Registered
77 280E, 78 450SEL, 86 300E, 87 300E, 90 300E, 92 400E & 4 scooters
233 Posts
OMG, you just described my 1978 300D that I'm planning to list on EBay later this week. It does have 254,000 miles but the engine and fuel pump where rebuilt at 250,000 miles. No rust, but 2 little paint blisters, the interior is sweet, excelent wood, new seat cushons and springs, no tears, no cracks in dash, carpet is great.

It really is a sharp car.

Last year I changed all the fluids (brake fluid too) and glow plugs just for good measure. I adjusted the valves while I was under the hood and replaced the hood pad so everything everything would be fresh and new. Also replaced the windshield a year or two ago.

The A/C compressor seized, so if you want cold A/C grab your wrenches.

New headlight doors. So, the car is sharp but it's no show car. If you look closely at the factory paint you can see spots that have been toutched up. But standing next to the car it looks very nice.

It's "Silver Green" in color. I live in Cleveland Ohio (330 miles away) and would like to see $3,500.00 for the car. I think it's worth $4,000+ in todays market, but.......

I stumbled accross my new love last fall, a 1977 280E W123 on this forum. And my wife says 9 Benz's in the garage is retarded. SO, I'm selling my lil Diesel to prove that I don't need some intervention program.

PM me with your e-mail and I'll send you pictures if interested. I'll give you first crack at it if $3,500 is a fair number for ya.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wow, sorry, after over 1800 posts and a few years on BW, I've finally upset someone. It's not like I'm trying to peddle something I can't sell. I'm looking to buy something. People don't usually search for someone buying something, they search for someone selling something. So I threw this up here in the hopes that I could maybe get some attention. I bumped it once. I've only posted a couple of times in the classifieds section, and I guess I won't be doing it again on here.

• Bumping your posts will earn a lockout. If people want your stuff they will either see it, or search for it. Repeated bumping will earn you a holiday of varying lengths depending just how shitty a day we have had. WE WILL NOT PM YOU TO GIVE YOU A HEADS-UP THAT YOUR THREAD WILL BE LOCKED

Foul language is pretty unprofessional in the rules section of a forum. I've been on here a long time, and although I've had a few heated disagreements with people, I've done it in a respectful way with out getting into any big verbal pissing matches. My deepest apologies if I annoyed you.

·
Registered
'04 G500, '00 E55 AMG, '90 300TE 4Matic, '82 240D
1,951 Posts
I don't really see what's so bad about bumping, I mean as long as you don't over do it what's the problem? some people really need to sell stuff and a lot of people only check the front page or don't know they're looking for something until they find it for the right price...just my two cents! :D

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good call. I forgot to mention that I've got a lot of great leads, but still no car!

·
Registered
'04 G500, '00 E55 AMG, '90 300TE 4Matic, '82 240D
1,951 Posts
have you posted a wanted in the w123 or w126 section yet? worth a try

1 - 9 of 9 Posts