Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any idea where I can find a replacement flap, which is part of the lower front end below the bumper, and which covers the tow hook? Mine must have fallen out.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
98 SL500
516 Posts
You can try ebay but I have searches for parts sent to me daily and I haven't seen one of those. You might try p.m.'ing the vpower he seems to have a hand on a supply of parts. Then again you could try performanceparts.com they should have it but be prepared to spend a little and have it painted.

·
Registered
98 Brilliant Silver
98 Posts
Having just been through this, I can tell you that there is no good news. The dealers are about the only source for the 98 and older SL tow hook covers. That's the bad news, the worse news is that they are currently asking about $350 for that stupid piece. I got mine for 245 because I had my body repair shop buy it for me while they were repairing the front bumper. On a side note, when they repaired the bumper, they added a piece of metal to the bottom lip where it attaches to the chassis. The result is that the bumper no longer drags when I enter my rather steep driveway. And it looks even better.

·
Registered
SL500, ML320, E320
538 Posts
I got one from a junk yard - - -er, `scuze me . . parts recycler and got it painted. Lost that one when I got hung up on a parking bumper and got the next one from the dealership for about $150 . . .paint added another $75.

I tied the cover to the tow hook with some stout braided wire and figured I'd learn from my mistakes. If you do a search within the 129 forum, you'll see what others have done as a remedy.

$350 seems pretty steep, but it's been a couple years since we bought the part.

Regards-

·
Registered
97 e320, 94 sl320, 99 mustang, 90 & 91 300zx twin turbo
91 Posts
hey, i decided to cut everything in that area and added an custom billet grill $45 and some piaa fogs, now i have to get the front lip painted. why you ask? because the bumper was crack from steep driveways and was missing the tow hook cover,i did not want to spend that much repairing the bumper and buying a tow hook cover for $120

·
Outstanding Contributor
2003 SL500, 2003 SL55, 1998 SL500, (2) 1991 300SLs
4,564 Posts
I bought a tow hook cover from Phil at mercedesshop.com for less than $100 just a few years ago. And Caliber Motors probably has it cheap as well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
bobterry99 said:
I bought a tow hook cover from Phil at mercedesshop.com for less than $100 just a few years ago. And Caliber Motors probably has it cheap as well.
bobterry99, caliber motors want $129 for the cover,but they didn't have it in stock and nor did they have my color. I will share some pictures of my conversion

·
Registered
95 E320 Cabrio (just got this one)
29 Posts
I'm in So Cal and will be redoing the bumper again (thanks to Ex). Fletcher Jones priced it at $119. Then add paint.
I'm also interested in the conversion pics. Please post.

Onash
98 SL600

·
Registered
91 Posts
i'm almost done with the front grill conversion, so far i have painted the top grill the same color as the car and left the big chrome star alone, installed a billet grill and piaa fog lights to replace the factory fogs on the bottom, all i'm waiting for is the chrome upper grill insert. other convertion i'm working on consist of, all red taillights, euro side blinkers, chrome exhaust tips, blinking side mirrors(using original housing) and modifying the non-sport sideskirts.

·
Premium Member
Black SL 500 1994
1,026 Posts
interior-magic said:
i'm almost done with the front grill conversion, so far i have painted the top grill the same color as the car and left the big chrome star alone, installed a billet grill and piaa fog lights to replace the factory fogs on the bottom, all i'm waiting for is the chrome upper grill insert. other convertion i'm working on consist of, all red taillights, euro side blinkers, chrome exhaust tips, blinking side mirrors(using original housing) and modifying the non-sport sideskirts.
Sounds good, can't wait to see some pics! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts