Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
84 500SEL AMG, 90 560SEC AMG, 85 500SEC AMG Widebody
1,964 Posts
Sorry, but ANY 560SEL that costs $6,500 will need $5-$10k of deferred maintenance repairs. No matter how patient you are in your search. If you are able to pay the deferred maintenance costs over time as a project car, because you don't have $20k to spend on a sorted car, you can be successful. But do not think that you will find a solid driver 560 for your price point. A 420 is no different and will cost the same. These were top the line S Class cars from MB when new and the cars cost $70k and up when new. The price of parts from MB haven't come down over the years - they have gone UP. Find a car with the best interior you can find, because there are no interior parts with color that are still available from MB. Most mechanical parts for a 560 are still available, with notable exceptions like SLS rear struts and some of the vacuum pods for HVAC, but parts from MB are very expensive! Shop labor is $85/hour. Adds up very quickly. If you buy cheaper aftermarket parts, they will not last on these heavy cars. Your 33 year old fuel distributor needs a rebuild? That's $700 and you can't do that yourself. Have engine vacuum leaks? A full top end rebuild just for rubber parts is $2,500 with labor. Idle Control Valve needs replacing? New one is $800 or roll the dice on a used one that is just as old. These cars when new were just a expensive as a Porsche 911 or lower end Ferrari.

Reactions: wooky_chew_bacca

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,850 Posts
What a downer. :(

He kind of already bought one and has posted pics. It looks terrific and he may have found a good one. No doubt that he will find LOTS to fix. My advice is for the new owner to do a serious search and locate a good inde mechanic that can go through the car and give him a list of items needing attention. From there he can start addressing them, one by one, as cash becomes available.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 · (Edited)
Sorry, but ANY 560SEL that costs $6,500 will need $5-$10k of deferred maintenance repairs. No matter how patient you are in your search. If you are able to pay the deferred maintenance costs over time as a project car, because you don't have $20k to spend on a sorted car, you can be successful. But do not think that you will find a solid driver 560 for your price point. A 420 is no different and will cost the same. These were top the line S Class cars from MB when new and the cars cost $70k and up when new. The price of parts from MB haven't come down over the years - they have gone UP. Find a car with the best interior you can find, because there are no interior parts with color that are still available from MB. Most mechanical parts for a 560 are still available, with notable exceptions like SLS rear struts and some of the vacuum pods for HVAC, but parts from MB are very expensive! Shop labor is $85/hour. Adds up very quickly. If you buy cheaper aftermarket parts, they will not last on these heavy cars. Your 33 year old fuel distributor needs a rebuild? That's $700 and you can't do that yourself. Have engine vacuum leaks? A full top end rebuild just for rubber parts is $2,500 with labor. Idle Control Valve needs replacing? New one is $800 or roll the dice on a used one that is just as old. These cars when new were just a expensive as a Porsche 911 or lower end Ferrari.
There’s always one of these in every group . I guarantee u I spend nowhere near that amount on this car . But thanks for all the negative input Karen . I appreciate you bringing me down off my high - some people can’t stand to see anyone happy . #hater

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·

·
Registered
560SEL 560SEC E320 Cab. MB Metris Van ML 320 ML320CDI/gone 300TD 300TE 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406
2,594 Posts
There’s always one of these in every group . I guarantee u I spend nowhere near that amount on this car . But thanks for all the negative input Karen . I appreciate you bringing me down off my high - some people can’t stand to see anyone happy . #hater
Great color combo.

I think he could have been a little more diplomatic, and given you time to enjoy your new ride, but I can't really disagree with his assertions. I think you can get a well sorted 560SEL in the $15k range, but after alot of shopping. And, as I have posted many times, the more you pay in purchase price the less you will have to fix later at greater expense. But, you have the car now, so enjoy it. And, find that independent mechanic. The guys that work at dealers are only trained on cars three generations newer than 1987.

·
Registered
Too many to list
10,850 Posts
When buying a 30 year old car you really never know what you’ll get . It might be problem free for 10 years or might start costing money immediately .

even if you lay out $20,000 for a pristine example things still get old and fail . So just enjoy your new car , it made the 4 hour drive home so there is an excellent chance its a good car

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
917 Posts
Repairs are a perennial subject on this forum and there are always things to fix, no matter how good a shape it is in, as the miles increase. Also, as many opinions as there are readers. I think you have made a good deal. You have heard my story already, the car is worth it. If you begin to think it is not and it is no longer as much fun, stop doing it. Otherwise, enjoy.

Reactions: 14e350

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Just went to an indie and it turns out previous owner spent thousands on maintenance using all original parts . It has new shocks new brakes new upper control arms new ball joints new steering rack new tires new rear exhaust from what I can see and remember . I took some photos but they came out like crap
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Car Vehicle

Automotive tire Black Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
That car looks pristine underneath for being a northeast car . You found a good one !
thank you sir the gentleman who sold it to me was an honest fellow . never thought i would love this car so much . its not perfect by any means but its mine and thats ok . i hopefully dont have to spend 20000$ in maintenance. i was quoted 750 foe a basic tune up just now from the indie . made me throw up in my mouth a litle bit . lololol

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
6,150 Posts
what was quoted in your basic tune up?

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
917 Posts
That car looks pristine underneath for being a northeast car . You found a good one !
It looks like its been steam cleaned. Nice.

As for the tune-up, I would guess it's how many parts and how good; but $750 sounds in the ball part for a basic tune up (plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor,etc.) That is why it's better to be able to do your own wrenching.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
It looks like its been steam cleaned. Nice.

As for the tune-up, I would guess it's how many parts and how good; but $750 sounds in the ball part for a basic tune up (plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor,etc.) That is why it's better to be able to do your own wrenching.
ok i wanted to make sure he wasnt shooting a bean .

·
Registered
Too many to list
10,850 Posts
You need to find out exactly what parts are included with basic tuneup . For many shops it’s just spark plugs , distributor cap and rotor .

But if it includes spark plug wires , fuel filter , etc the $750 is reasonable . I would also change the coil as they are cheap and easy to change during tuneup and often overlooked

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
9,394 Posts
The front sway bar is attached to the upper control arms (this ain't no Chevy) Alydon is giving good advice, there are several here that work extensively on 126 cars, their own as well as others for business. It might be a good idea to do some serious research and reading up on your new car, the DIY thread would be just one so you can get familiar with it and it's various parts and assemblies

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
The front sway bar is attached to the upper control arms (this ain't no Chevy) Alydon is giving good advice, there are several here that work extensively on 126 cars, their own as well as others for business. It might be a good idea to do some serious research and reading up on your new car, the DIY thread would be just one so you can get familiar with it and it's various parts and assemblies
can you tell from my pic? i think im missing the sway bar

61 - 80 of 98 Posts