Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
917 Posts
In addition to the driving, there is the happy feeling when you pull up to the light and realize you have the only good looking "motor" around (and perhaps there is even a touch of shadenfreude) as you look at all the square and oblong boxes and the squished jelly-beans that are all the other cars, SUVs, and mini-vans around you. Yes, its self-indulgent, but I have spent enough in care and maintenance to enjoy it. :)

Reactions: 14e350

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Thank you for all the kind words and wisdom . I am writing this all down and will be on it as soon as possible . I definitely need front suspension work . From what I can tell I’m going to need bushings control arms ball joints and all that good stuff . Are their any rebuild kits that you guys can recommend or do I just have to wait and see what list is provided for me by a mechanic ? Again thanks in advance guys . And many great thanks to the gentleman who found me the foot rests !!! A bit expensive i see geez lol !!!

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
2,174 Posts
MB dealers in the Seattle area have an hourly rate of $198.50. Knowledgeable and seasoned indie's are around $100-120 per hour.

Reactions: 14e350 and Stewpot

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
917 Posts
I decided that dealers were not for me 20 years ago when the white coated "techs" that took down my work order at EuroMotors of Bethesda would not let me talk to the mechanics actually working on the car.

@Eth727 If you are in the northern (Vienna) Virginia area I would have a recommendation for an indie.

EDIT: Clearly above note was intended for @14e350 and I had not had my second coffee.:oops:

·
Registered
1986 W126 420 SEL
157 Posts
Hi. I'm San Diego. There aren't any indies here that would do a timing chain,guides job. Which is okay since I can't afford their rates anyway. When buying a classic benz you must become your own indie .

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
9,394 Posts
Thank you for all the kind words and wisdom . I am writing this all down and will be on it as soon as possible . I definitely need front suspension work . A bit expensive i see geez lol !!!
Yes, these cars CAN be quite expensive to keep up but remember this also the LABOR can be higher than the cost of the parts and you don't know what quality of parts they use (yeah, dealers will use MB parts). The 126s were the last of the DIY cars and are fairly easy to work on once you figure out how they were put together (and read the manual on any particular repair) If I had to rely on a shop to maintain and repair mine I'd have to sell it. Just sayin'

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
All you need now is a driver and the hat to Chauffeur you around LOL

Drive up, roll the window down and ask "pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon ?" 😁

Reactions: Stewpot and 14e350

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
917 Posts
All you need now is a driver and the hat to Chauffeur you around LOL
Sometimes I put on my chauffer hat when picking up "she who must be obeyed" and put her in the back seat. Especially if we are somewhere like Fresh Market. She loves it.

·
Premium Member
87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
4,423 Posts
That is a cool looking SEL and well done in your search with a great outcome!!!
Welcome to the SEL club and enjoy the journey as it is very addictive - haha
See if you can source a pair of the Euro style more orange colour front indicators to swap out the US style yellow ones - it makes a big difference
Usually on ebay or someone here on the forum, Bob Youngman who runs FB page MBZ W126 Midest : MBZ W126 Midwest
Over your way on the east coast will have them along with anything else you might be chasing like Euro Headlights etc

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
6,150 Posts
you have easily the best color available for a mercedes... congrats.
try to find some euro bumpers and it will clean up nice

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
what do euro bumper look like ?
Well these are from / on my SEC but the Saloons will look similar

Rear "diving board" (oh, and this was before the wheel swap)
Vehicle Car Wheel Tire Hood

Euro rear
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

Diving board front (again before the parts SEC)
Car Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light

Euro front
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

See how tucked in the Euros are ? the way Herr Bruno Sachs designed them to be

Reactions: Stewpot and 14e350
41 - 60 of 98 Posts