Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
9,474 Posts
You're welcome. :)

Oh boy, problem areas. Where to being?! :LOL:

If the a.c. doesn't blow cold it's not "just a Freon refill." It never ever is. It's going to be a $2500 ac rebuild. Every time. :sneaky:

Front end stuff is almost always neglected so expect to need control arms, ball joints, etc. Buying a 126? Time to rebuild the entire front end!

Rust underneath the rear window is a big one. Pull the rear hat tray and also get in the trunk and inspect by hand. You typically cannot see it with the naked eye, even when it's catastrophic. You need to get in there and feel by hand. Plenty of threads here on this topic. Both of my 126's are rust free, but both were always garaged (one in CA and one here in NC) and never driven in snow.

One huge piece of maintenance that is always avoided is the timing chain, plus guides and tensioner. Again, lots of threads on this. If that has been tackled in the last ten years or 50k miles and genuine Benz parts were used that's a huge plus. If not you WILL need to do it. And expect to pay around 2 grand, depending upon where you are located. Absolutely NO non MB parts for this job! Non MB chains can snap and guides shatter or split. Save and buy Febi? Enjoy your engine when it grenades. Genuine MB parts for this and drive worry free.

The rear SLS suspension tends to get neglected and a lot of shops don't have a clue hot to fix it or even diagnose it. Lots of threads here on this.

$6500 is not much of a budget these days. Three years ago you'd be fine. You will no doubt need to spend thousands to sort out whatever example you find (unless you find one like mine that was just given a huge sorting). I don't want to discourage you, but I want you to be realistic and understand that you need to be patient and careful. Don't rush! It can take time finding a good car.

Being on the east coast makes it hard. Most of the good ones are out west.
An excellent rundown on critical issues with 126 cars. Let's not forget the old rubber fuel lines both under the hood and out back at the pumps. Several have lost their cars due to old rubber rupturing and the resulting Car-B-Ques weren't pretty. One of the biggest things about these 30-40 year old cars is/are they ARE old and if not properly maintained over the years they will eventually bite the current owners. I'll agree 100% that when properly sorted these TOP of the line road machines are a dream to drive and ride in. What other car can you do a 400-500 mile road trip and not be exhausted on arrival at your destination.

My present 560SEC came with a stack of repair/maintenance tickets but right off the bat I had to change the old rubber fuel lines, flex discs on the drive shaft, and several parts on the front end. I guess all told I've spent in 6 years almost what I paid to buy the car and it's very well sorted now. Not meaning to scare but just a heads up to find the best mechanical shape car you can afford and take care of any issues as they come up

Reactions: 14e350

·
Registered
9,474 Posts

·
Registered
9,474 Posts

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
That goes without saying, IF I had to rely on having a dealer or a shop to do all the work on my car(s) I wouldn't be able to afford them and certainly don't want any of these new ones that have computer and / or gizmo controlled everything. I even had a MB dealer service manager tell me once that "you couldn't afford what I'd charge you" for swapping lower ball joints, he obviously didn't hear that I had the knuckles in my truck outside, a 20 minute job at best

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
So any cars out there I’m in ny currently . Pm me or email me . I’m still actively searching and would like to get one before Xmas
You'll just have to keep looking using the same sources that we have available. I don't know of any sites that sellers actively seek out buyers of anything, cars included. Folks list what they have and wait for you to find them. When I was looking for a coupe I was looking coast to coast with the reality of just a State or two away to drive one home, turns out mine was a mere 50 miles away

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
Anyone have palomino foot rests for sale ?
Those are but one of the many coveted items on these cars. Good looking ride right there, Congrats. In the morning before you put a lot of miles on it DO check your rubber fuel lines under the hood and also out back at the pumps. Just one of several overlooked items that especially due to age needs to be taken care of. Did it come with any service records ? Those would tell you a LOT of what has or needs to be done. Check the flex discs on the drive shaft also

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
I don't know how thorough a dealership will be, especially as wilson an Stewpot said about them. My own experience with one, the service manager told me "you can't afford what I'd charge you" when I asked about swapping lower ball joints, and that was after I told him I had the knuckles outside. I don't know if he was even listening to that last part or just "assumed" that this long haired old man with grease under his fingernails couldn't afford it

I was giving YOU a heads up on what to look for and now to possibly point out to them some common issues with your new ride. These ARE old cars and the "new guys" aren't familiar with them because they are older and not nearly as many around anymore

Reactions: 14e350 and Stewpot

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
Thank you for all the kind words and wisdom . I am writing this all down and will be on it as soon as possible . I definitely need front suspension work . A bit expensive i see geez lol !!!
Yes, these cars CAN be quite expensive to keep up but remember this also the LABOR can be higher than the cost of the parts and you don't know what quality of parts they use (yeah, dealers will use MB parts). The 126s were the last of the DIY cars and are fairly easy to work on once you figure out how they were put together (and read the manual on any particular repair) If I had to rely on a shop to maintain and repair mine I'd have to sell it. Just sayin'

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
All you need now is a driver and the hat to Chauffeur you around LOL

Drive up, roll the window down and ask "pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon ?" 😁

Reactions: Stewpot and 14e350

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
what do euro bumper look like ?
Well these are from / on my SEC but the Saloons will look similar

Rear "diving board" (oh, and this was before the wheel swap)
Vehicle Car Wheel Tire Hood

Euro rear
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

Diving board front (again before the parts SEC)
Car Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light

Euro front
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

See how tucked in the Euros are ? the way Herr Bruno Sachs designed them to be

Reactions: Stewpot and 14e350

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
The front sway bar is attached to the upper control arms (this ain't no Chevy) Alydon is giving good advice, there are several here that work extensively on 126 cars, their own as well as others for business. It might be a good idea to do some serious research and reading up on your new car, the DIY thread would be just one so you can get familiar with it and it's various parts and assemblies

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
Look here

Attachments

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
Part 32 is the upper control arm, part 33 is the steering knuckle, part 10 is the front sway / stabilizer bar. It would be a good idea to get a manual and get familiar with your new car, like I said, it ain't no Chevy. It's relatively easy to work on BUT you gotta know what you have in front of you and how it's put together, a LOT of wrench turners have no clue but will charge you according to the star on the hood. Just sayin' and not to slam you at all, just the facts

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
Yeah, here is a better pic of the bar in place, part 7 the purple bar is it and it's mounting location. To get it out requires removing a boatload of parts, not an easy task

Organism Font Auto part Engineering Parallel

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
DUDE, the sway bar AIN'T at the bottom of the assembly. Take this from someone who has spent a LOT of time under 2 of these cars. The sway bar is at the TOP connected to the upper control arm, KRH posted the perfect pic along with the diagram I posted last night

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
Ok, that can be taken care of easy enough, your engine won't fall out with them missing but I know I mentioned 3 times where the sway bar is located (with pictures) and you kept on about it missing. Most here on the forum have been here a while and know these cars. I'M still learning and readily take advice and I'm a 16 year owner between two different models. I'll suggest again, got to the DIY thread and learn about your car there, where parts are located, what they are called, and how things go together

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
There’s always one of these in every group . I guarantee u I spend nowhere near that amount on this car . But thanks for all the negative input Karen . I appreciate you bringing me down off my high - some people can’t stand to see anyone happy . #hater
To use your own words and then I will gracefully bow out of this thread. I guess I can be considered as one of these too. YOU kept saying your sway bar was missing, even asking the forum if it was, and the picture you posted wasn't even of the correct area of the car. I mentioned 3 times where it was, even posting diagrams and another posted a pic with the bar clearly showing. And NO, it didn't hurt me in any way to say this but you kept on and on and on. I wish you luck on your car and getting it sorted. If you aren't car savvy (your words) then there isn't much we can do to help here, leave it to the shop you choose to do the work

Adieu

1 - 17 of 17 Posts