Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
560SEL 560SEC E320 Cab. MB Metris Van ML 320 ML320CDI/gone 300TD 300TE 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406
2,594 Posts
I think it is worth saying that the more you pay for a purchase the better 560SEL you will get. Of couse you can make a mistake or someone can be dishonest, but failing that you should double your budget, at least and get a really good car.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it is worth saying that the more you pay for a purchase the better 560SEL you will get. Of couse you can make a mistake or someone can be dishonest, but failing that you should double your budget, at least and get a really good car.
Thank you for you input sir . I figured I would search in the forums as people tend to be more honest in here . I hope I don’t get duped I’m not rich like that

·
Registered
560SEL 560SEC E320 Cab. MB Metris Van ML 320 ML320CDI/gone 300TD 300TE 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406
2,594 Posts
Thank you for you input sir . I figured I would search in the forums as people tend to be more honest in here . I hope I don’t get duped I’m not rich like that
I honestly don't think it is about that. There is a whole lot of potential cost to a 30 year old 560SEL. You won't have all of those costs but you will have some. The reason your car will sell for $6500 instead of $13000 is because you are going to have to fix a lot more of those items than you would on a better car. Seriously, it is not at all hard to spend $3000 when something breaks that you can't fix, or one of those expensive parts that only come from MB. The $13000 car will have 80000 miles on it or maybe a 100,000. The $6500 car twice that. If its a hobby for you to fix a lot of challenging parts, then go for it. If you want to drive a luxury car a lot on an economical budget, get the better car.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I honestly don't think it is about that. There is a whole lot of potential cost to a 30 year old 560SEL. You won't have all of those costs but you will have some. The reason your car will sell for $6500 instead of $13000 is because you are going to have to fix a lot more of those items than you would on a better car. Seriously, it is not at all hard to spend $3000 when something breaks that you can't fix, or one of those expensive parts that only come from MB. The $13000 car will have 80000 miles on it or maybe a 100,000. The $6500 car twice that. If its a hobby for you to fix a lot of challenging parts, then go for it. If you want to drive a luxury car a lot on an economical budget, get the better car.
im looking at a car w 91k on it for 6500 as we speak it looks mint i just dont like color

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,850 Posts
In September I paid 7 grand for a very nice 1991 350 SDL. A few weeks later I drove it down to Florida for Pierre Hedary to go through and the invoice came to $4500! Despite the prior owner being militaristic about doing maintenance shit needed to be taken care of (like an entire front end rebuild). Now I am into the car for BIG dollars!! :LOL: But hey, I knew going in I'd have to pay the piper. Right now the car is so fully sorted it pretty much needs nothing. In addition to the mechanicals I installed a lovely new radio, a HomeLink mirror and ceramic tinted the rear window. She's is ready to serve.

Expect every w126 to be the same. You will need to spend a ton of money unless it was recently given a full sorting.

Granted, I could have driven my SDL without going to Pierre. Nothing was critical. These cars drive pretty well even when needing a lot of work. But that's no way to treat a car. Especially a car you intend to drive daily (as I do mine).

Deferred maintenance just equals headaches down the road so understand what you are getting into.

Good luck in your search! For me nothing is as good as a w126. From the way they make me feel to the absolute comfort of the seating, they are the best Benz ever devised. I have a bad back and my Camry was giving me endless grief. I switched to the SDL and have 90% less back pain. Over a six week period I drove it to from NC to FL and back and then to NY and back with zero back issues. These cars are unsurpassed for long term driving comfort.

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Tire Car

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
917 Posts
Nice looking car (says he with a white SEL). Just think, you could have had a newer used Camry and the back pain for $11,000. I think you did good. But......, there will eventually be something

Reactions: 14e350

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Yeah, sh*t breaks on a 30 year old car. No doubt. But these 126's are genuinely reliable when properly cared for. With the Camry I had bake pain and a lease payment. Now I'll just stick that money aside each month for whatever comes down the road and drive pain free. ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In September I paid 7 grand for a very nice 1991 350 SDL. A few weeks later I drove it down to Florida for Pierre Hedary to go through and the invoice came to $4500! Despite the prior owner being militaristic about doing maintenance shit needed to be taken care of (like an entire front end rebuild). Now I am into the car for BIG dollars!! :LOL: But hey, I knew going in I'd have to pay the piper. Right now the car is so fully sorted it pretty much needs nothing. In addition to the mechanicals I installed a lovely new radio, a HomeLink mirror and ceramic tinted the rear window. She's is ready to serve.

Expect every w126 to be the same. You will need to spend a ton of money unless it was recently given a full sorting.

Granted, I could have driven my SDL without going to Pierre. Nothing was critical. These cars drive pretty well even when needing a lot of work. But that's no way to treat a car. Especially a car you intend to drive daily (as I do mine).

Deferred maintenance just equals headaches down the road so understand what you are getting into.

Good luck in your search! For me nothing is as good as a w126. From the way they make me feel to the absolute comfort of the seating, they are the best Benz ever devised. I have a bad back and my Camry was giving me endless grief. I switched to the SDL and have 90% less back pain. Over a six week period I drove it to from NC to FL and back and then to NY and back with zero back issues. These cars are unsurpassed for long term driving comfort.

View attachment 2720607
Thank you for taking valuable time out your day to respond to me . That was very informative w great insight . Your car is gorgeous btw . I will keep all of this in mind thank you . What are the major problem areas I should be looking for ?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Thank you for taking valuable time out your day to respond to me . That was very informative w great insight . Your car is gorgeous btw . I will keep all of this in mind thank you . What are the major problem areas I should be looking for ?
You're welcome. :)

Oh boy, problem areas. Where to being?! :LOL:

If the a.c. doesn't blow cold it's not "just a Freon refill." It never ever is. It's going to be a $2500 ac rebuild. Every time. :sneaky:

Front end stuff is almost always neglected so expect to need control arms, ball joints, etc. Buying a 126? Time to rebuild the entire front end!

Rust underneath the rear window is a big one. Pull the rear hat tray and also get in the trunk and inspect by hand. You typically cannot see it with the naked eye, even when it's catastrophic. You need to get in there and feel by hand. Plenty of threads here on this topic. Both of my 126's are rust free, but both were always garaged (one in CA and one here in NC) and never driven in snow.

One huge piece of maintenance that is always avoided is the timing chain, plus guides and tensioner. Again, lots of threads on this. If that has been tackled in the last ten years or 50k miles and genuine Benz parts were used that's a huge plus. If not you WILL need to do it. And expect to pay around 2 grand, depending upon where you are located. Absolutely NO non MB parts for this job! Non MB chains can snap and guides shatter or split. Save and buy Febi? Enjoy your engine when it grenades. Genuine MB parts for this and drive worry free.

The rear SLS suspension tends to get neglected and a lot of shops don't have a clue hot to fix it or even diagnose it. Lots of threads here on this.

$6500 is not much of a budget these days. Three years ago you'd be fine. You will no doubt need to spend thousands to sort out whatever example you find (unless you find one like mine that was just given a huge sorting). I don't want to discourage you, but I want you to be realistic and understand that you need to be patient and careful. Don't rush! It can take time finding a good car.

Being on the east coast makes it hard. Most of the good ones are out west.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts