Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the Wanted / For Sale section, but would like to notify the true target audience of W210 owners. Please keep an eye out for a trunk door that's totally rust free, with glass that's not worn in a half moon from the wiper blade, in green with beige interior. I can pick up between NJ and NH and am willing to ship it in from a salt-free region. Thanks.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
3,240 Posts
You might be looking for a while... Green is a very rare color, and that combined with wagon, means you might need to settle for any other color and then paint it.

·
7,943 Posts
What you do not know Mr FireFox

Ohhhh Mr FireFox........

What you do not know :laugh

There is a GREEN ONE in your state for $200 :thumbsup:

Check these guys out:

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

This is where I am going for my blown M112 engine..

Hope you find a winner there...

Martin

·
3,240 Posts
If that's true, I'm going to eat my words.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
During my first search of eBay, I found this rusted green door in Florida. When I last looked in to this years ago, there were tons of W210 doors for sale in CA and NJ. Now there are few. I talked to the NJ seller and he is no longer buying W210 to part out, instead stocking much more W211 parts.

MAVA, thanks for the recommendation! I tried a few of those junkyard search engines, but they were way too general to find this door. car-part.com gave me a list of local doors on the first try, as you promised. I'll be in touch with the local seller. The site says it has damage, probably rust, but I will use this search to scour the country for a nice example.

Good luck finding the used engine. I got one for my Volvo almost ten years ago and it's been running fine the whole time.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
MAVA was right, the trunk door near me is green. Unfortunately, it has light rust and a large dent. My body shop said it would cost about $300 to remove the dent, bringing the door up to $500. Its rust may hold out for many years, but still it would be preferable to get one rust free.

My body shop also estimated it would cost $500 to repaint a door. That doesn't include touching up any surface scratches, but does include $70 for new decals. I can't pay that much, so I'll keep looking for a green one.

The real question is, what can be done to prevent light rust like this from getting worse?

Attachments

·
3,240 Posts
99% of the rust prevention advice boils down to "sand it to bare metal and paint over it".

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't pay $200 for a door, $500 to repaint it, plus whatever it costs to repair the rust. Body shops never guarantee their rust work, so the burden falls back on me in the future.

Maybe I'll think of these trunk doors as consumables. Buy the $200 used door with a little rust, use it until that rust entirely cracks through the paint, then replace. Problem is, a door with minimal rust is hard to find in green now, so it will be much harder to find in years to come. I'm trying to find old pictures of my wagon to determine how its rust progressed over time.

I'll keep looking over the coming months. Maybe I'll find a green door with no rust.

·
7,943 Posts
I found one in Sunny California in Green with no rust or dents. I will post pictures by the weekend.

Martin

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm back in the market for a green 2002 E320 4Matic wagon trunk door. The one which MAVA found for me in my state has been crushed. In the past six months, I was unable to make time to go get it. I didn't know junkyards crushed their cars that quickly.

I need a ton of parts from a donor car, especially the green trunk and sections of wheel arches. Makes me want to buy one at auction, strip what I need, then scrap the rest. Or even buy it on AutoTrader; can't cost that much.

If any of you see a green wagon for parts or for sale cheap, let me know. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts