Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1988 560 SEL - Black
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am interested in buying a set of AMG wheels for my 1989 560 SEL. I just rebuilt the front suspension, and put a Weitec lowering kit (40/30) on with new Bilstein sport shocks. I do not like the look with the stock 16 Inch MB wheels whatsoever though....so I need something period correct to go with the more aggressive rake set up.

Essentially either of these two options would work for me:

OZ 3 Piece AMG

8,5J x 17 ET18 (2X)
10J x 17 ET17 (2X)

AMG Aero I (Hammer)

8 x 17 ET 28 (All 4) or ET 11

(My mechanic buddy in Germany said both offsets work for the w126, depending on how big the tire is (especially in the front), and he s seen both mounted. Actually the lower offset often supposedly comes to rub at the fender, ET 11 that is. Maybe any of you guys has some valuable info on that.....
In the rear I habe no problem anyways, using 10mm spacers,....I am worried about the front as I remember something max like ET25. I do not like to use spacers on the front, so any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks!

The wheels should be in good condition (no cracks/bents), and preferably non chrome, but can refinish if need. With or without tires depending on age/wear and the price incl. shipping.
Located in St. Louis MO....

Any help/offers are appreciated!
Thanks

·
Mercedes
9,043 Posts
The 3pc AMG wheels were designed for both the W126 and R129 cars and do not need spacers.

The Aero I Hammer wheels in ET28 were designed for the W124, and may need spacers to get the look just right. However, the ET11 versions were made specifically for the W126 and fit the 124.036 (E500/500E) as well as other models in the W123, W116 and R107 chassis.

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
1,978 Posts
TNX Dr. Grillz

The 3pc AMG wheels were designed for both the W126 and R129 cars and do not need spacers.

The Aero I Hammer wheels in ET28 were designed for the W124, and may need spacers to get the look just right. However, the ET11 versions were made specifically for the W126 and fit the 124.036 (E500/500E) as well as other models in the W123, W116 and R107 chassis.
Thanks for the design background on these wheels, interesting information.

For the buyer, it sounds like you have a good idea what you need, good choices, but with a big price difference.

You should be able to pick up a Hammer set easier than the Aero 3 piece, maybe at half the price as well.

But if ya got the cash, 3 piece Aero's rocks, love that look on a 126. 2 or 3 sets were up for sale here recently, and they will come around again, sooner or later.

I also agree with your view on spacers, if you choose Hammer wheels wait for the ET11 set to come along.

If ya get a chance, throw up a picture of your SEL.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts