Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 SL500 SPORT SLVR
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 SL500 Sport. Discount Tire in Crestwood, IL. sold me 275/30/19 Falken Azenis ST115 19x9.5 Zenetti Stella Rear - 235/35/19 19x8.5 Front.
The lip of the wheel is wider than the damn tire on both front and back! Even though the width of the tire on paper is wider according to the Discount Tire size calculator. What the hell????
This was my first set of custom wheels so i had no idea what i was getting. I noticed how narrow the tires were, and even that the rim protector on the tire was not over the rim, but the Discount Tire guy said it was fine. This was purchased back in 11/2005. I rarely drive the car. I have only put on 8,000 miles since purchased. Now the car is pulling to the right and the alignment wont help. I put the car up on a rack and could see how bent the lips were on the inside of both front rims because there is nothing covering them. What should i do. I feel Discount Tire sold me the wrong tires!!!!

·
Registered
96 SL500, 97 E420,
1,098 Posts
After 3 1/2 years about the only thing you can do is

a. buy some more tires and keep the same rims (replace in 3 1/2 years)

b. buy some Mercedes 18's and the recommended size tires. (you still may have to buy tires every 3-4 years, but your ride will improve over the 19's)

Evidently you were happy in Nov '05?

·
Registered
98 SL500 SPORT SLVR
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car pulled to the left from the beggining. They told me i needed to get an alignment anytime you get new wheels. I figured i would wait as an alignment wast $140 bucks. When i got one it did not help. Does not pull to right with the stock 18" AMG.
Im thinking i will sell the 19's and just get a set of 18's and use my stock Kuhmo's.
Its uncomfortable dodging potholes all damn day!!! lol

·
Registered
1992 300CE
667 Posts
The car pulled to the left from the beggining. They told me i needed to get an alignment anytime you get new wheels. I figured i would wait as an alignment wast $140 bucks. When i got one it did not help. Does not pull to right with the stock 18" AMG.
Im thinking i will sell the 19's and just get a set of 18's and use my stock Kuhmo's.
Its uncomfortable dodging potholes all damn day!!! lol

The tires you are referring to are called stretched, there is nothing wrong with them and if you notice, alot of cars are doing it nowadays for style. Changing tires has nothing to do with alignment. Alignment has only to do with ride height but its good to do alignment every so often to keep your car in check.

Stretched tires are all about style, and if your dodging potholes, youve got mad style

·
Registered
1992 300CE
667 Posts
After 3 1/2 years about the only thing you can do is

a. buy some more tires and keep the same rims (replace in 3 1/2 years)

b. buy some Mercedes 18's and the recommended size tires. (you still may have to buy tires every 3-4 years, but your ride will improve over the 19's)

Evidently you were happy in Nov '05?
Buying new tires could be bad. If you do get the recommended specs then they may be too big, and your going to end up rubbing your tires on the inwalls. Worst case scenario, go through your tires in a month.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts