Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1986 190e, 2.3. I know the firing order is 1342, but mine will only start with 1234.
I have changed:
spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor and ignition coil.
I adjusted the crank to TDC and the rotor is pointing to the appropriate line. It takes a lot of tries but the car will start with the wrong firing order and run. I tried the correct firing order but it will not start.
Please help, I have been unable to find a thread to explain. Can someone please point me in the right direction.
Thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
Firing order

"I adjusted the crank to TDC and the rotor is pointing to the appropriate line. It takes a lot of tries but the car will start with the wrong firing order and run. I tried the correct firing order but it will not start."

It sounds like you're wiring the distributor cap in the wrong rotation. Check the direction in which the rotor turns.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

I had the wrong problem with the starting. I changed the PVC valve and the fuse on the ovp and the car started right up. I spoke to a Mercedes mechanic at my local shop and he said there was some problems with the a/c and the easiest way to fix it was to take out the distributor, when it was put back in it may have been put back not exactly right, but if it is running fine leave it alone. Its running great now so I'm not touching it. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I had the wrong problem with the starting. I changed the PVC valve and the fuse on the ovp and the car started right up. I spoke to a Mercedes mechanic at my local shop and he said there was some problems with the a/c and the easiest way to fix it was to take out the distributor, when it was put back in it may have been put back not exactly right, but if it is running fine leave it alone. Its running great now so I'm not touching it. Thanks for the response.
I thought these cars didn't have PCV valves?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PVC

They call it a Air Cleaner Connector. A $2.92 dealer part that made a hugh difference. Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts