1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEC
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I
I

I was eager to do some suspension work this weekend only to find that I believe the dealership may have sent the wrong front sway bar bushing for a '91 SEC --- all appears correct w dimensions, etc., but the part number "64" may have significance to the obvious issue. It is not going to slide over the bar and I think I could put a correct cut into the bush to fit it but would just as soon have the correct part and can move on to other items in the mean time. Has anyone had the same sitch? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I hate to see someone’s posts go unanswered. I I did my on my 91 560sec last year and don’t remember that little “flip” in the bushing. If I were home I could help with the part number I ordered but sadly I’m not for the next two days.

Perhaps someone will chime in and help if I don’t see any progress in that area I’ll post you again when I get back home

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEC
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Alvin-E and I agree...This is the part number from the MB diagrams on the dealership sites and confirmed for my VIN. I'm thinking this belongs on another model and have them checking it out --- can't imagine MB would have us filet their bushings before they can be installed. This will be the 2nd incorrectly listed rubber suspension part I have received from them in as many weeks. C'mon man!

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
5,245 Posts
It is the correct part. However it looks as though the cut wasn't done.. All the images I've looked at in the last minutes have the needed cut.
Your supplier should source you another set.

Good luck,

MBL

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,667 Posts
I have a new bushing in the for sale section and I just looked and it has a cut

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,906 Posts
I wonder if anyone who has changed this bushing (Stutz) can tell us if the old ones deform and wind up looking like the new? I'm thinking there is space in the clamping mechanism and MB has redesigned the bushing to fill those spaces rather than to let the bushing squish into them over time, reducing the density of the bushing somewhat.

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,667 Posts
Ok, my old one was deformed and the center hole was elongated. I thought it would be a simple job to replace both of them especially since I was doing a front end refurbish. Please forgive me since the below comments are from memory. On the passenger side it was fairly straighforward. Well I think the false firewall had to come out, the battery box, and a few other goodies. Dont forget to grease the sway bar so you can slide it in place. There is a clamp that surrounds it and tightens it up.
The drivers side no f——-g way. The fuse box has to come out, all the wiring under it and maybe the engine!,,, I have been willing to tackle most things but even me not that one. If someone has conquered that please let me know

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,906 Posts
Ok, my old one was deformed and the center hole was elongated. I thought it would be a simple job to replace both of them especially since I was doing a front end refurbish. Please forgive me since the below comments are from memory. On the passenger side it was fairly straighforward. Well I think the false firewall had to come out, the battery box, and a few other goodies. Dont forget to grease the sway bar so you can slide it in place. There is a clamp that surrounds it and tightens it up.
The drivers side no f——-g way. The fuse box has to come out, all the wiring under it and maybe the engine!,,, I have been willing to tackle most things but even me not that one. If someone has conquered that please let me know
I helped a friend conquer the driver's side years ago. What I remember is that the fuse box could be loosened and lifted up in place. This gave clearance to do the work. It is also important to have the front wheels at the same height, either on the ground or off, otherwise the sway bar is twisting and makes life very difficult. I won't say it was easy but we did get it.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,906 Posts
By the way, the factory manual says to not lubricate the bushing but as I recall, we did on that tough one under the fuse box.

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEC
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a new bushing in the for sale section and I just looked and it has a cut
Thanks and I may take you up on that depending on the dealership's response and agree with everyone that the driver side bush replacement looks hellish.

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEC
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is the correct part. However it looks as though the cut wasn't done.. All the images I've looked at in the last minutes have the needed cut.
Your supplier should source you another set.

Good luck,

MBL
Here is what MB Dealership says along with the MB Classic Center....Sounds like they DO want us to modify their parts if they are not manufactured to Spec😂 Also the comment on removing the sway bar is CLASSIC!🤣

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
5,245 Posts
They don't fit.

Vote with your pocketbook & return 'em.
Get your money back.

Fellow member STUTZ has what you need. Or aftermarket...

M

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEC
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They don't fit.

Vote with your pocketbook & return 'em.
Get your money back.

Fellow member STUTZ has what you need. Or aftermarket...

M
Yup, they are going back and I'm going to STUTZ if I have enough posts to PM someone. Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts