Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 1999 SLK230 I just started noticing the headliner was becoming more wrinkled along the edge. I'm suspecting a possible leak of hydraulic fluid but the roof works flawlessly at this point in time. Has anyone experienced the wrinkling of a headliner and what the cause was? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 SLK230 Sport
84 Posts
I believe you're on the right track. You're lucky to have caught it before oil began pouring into the interior.

My advice would be to avoid using the top until you can create a plan of the repair, at which point you'll need to open the top. Best idea would be to cover the interior plastic before doing so.

I'm far from an expert on Varioroofs, but I have a decent amount of experience with automotive hydraulics. When one seal in a system fails the others will not be too far behind. If it's a decent car that you (or the owner) plan on keeping, my suggestion would be to do all of the cylinders at once and be done with it.

HTH and good luck!

·
Registered
1998 , SLK 230
224 Posts
Roof locking cylinder O rings needs to be replaced. Lots of info on this on the various R170 forums.

I used a kit from the US ebay which had comprehensive instructions included. Watch you don't scratch the piston shaft during the replacement process.

When the hydraulic repair was completed, I cleaned up the headliner board and had it recovered in black fabric to match my seats. Cost $50 for a motor trimmer to do it as I'm no good with fabrics. The fabric will let me see immediately if the leak starts again.

My other cylinders haven't failed yet - the roof cylinder is exposed to the heat from the Australian sun. I hope the other cylinders keep functioning as repairs on them are much more difficult than the roof one.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like you were able to repair the cylinders on the vehicle. Was it just a matter of opening the roof a bit to remove the headliner? How many cylinders are accessible this way to repair? Thanks

·
Registered
1998 , SLK 230
224 Posts
There are comprehensive instructions with photos on the forums. I have only done the roof locking cylinder -which is the one causing your problem.
The job is done with the roof about half open, from memory I also braced it with a stick , even though it seemed to be about balanced.
There is no need to disconnect the flexible hydraulic lines, just set up a work table next to the drivers door (RHD vehicle).
Headliner removal instructions are on the forum, you need to remove something like 5 or 6 screws. The old headliner I carefully cleaned of hydraulic oil using engine cleaner and water.
It's not a hard job if you follow the instructions supplied with the O ring kit and provided on the forum.
The kit included O rings for the other cylinders but my policy with these items is-" if they aren't broke don't fix them". The other cylinders are also pretty well protected from the Australian summer sun and seem to be OK.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On a 1999 SLK230 I just started noticing the headliner was becoming more wrinkled along the edge. I'm suspecting a possible leak of hydraulic fluid but the roof works flawlessly at this point in time. Has anyone experienced the wrinkling of a headliner and what the cause was? Thanks
I ordered the o ring kit and it worked flawlessly! The biggest challenge was just to start the project but as per instructions it was pretty easy once the cylinder was removed. Thanks for everyone's input and now I have a working roof again! The liner wasn't too bad so sometime I may replace or repair it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts