Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1984 300TDt
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I rear ended someone last night (antilock brakes can stop shorter I guess LOL). Anyway my bumper totally missed hers and my hood/grill and headlights took the impact. It also broke my oil cooler. Anyway I am going to try and get a feel for what parts might be wanted before I send it to the scrapyard.

Car has 231,xxx miles on it.

Engine runs well when warm but is kind of hard to start. (I contribute this to most likely glow plugs. Also most likely in need of valve adjustment.)

Transmission shifts somewhat firm from 1st-2nd then feels normal there on out.

14" Bundt wheels need refinishing but I have 5 of them.

Seat springs seem to be in working order (drivers seat cover is pretty worn)

Front fenders are still in good condition, as well as the drivers side doors and the rear passenger door. The passenger front has some damage from a previous encounter. All 4 power windows work but I think the passenger rear door window regulator is getting weak (its choppy when rolling up).

Thats about all I can think of at the moment feel free to PM me with any questions.

Btw the car is an 84 300TD with a burgundy paint (paint is toast though)

·
Registered
1981 240D
185 Posts
CRAP! That sucks. Hopefully the frame is not bent. If the frame is straight, you should be able to repair the body damage, have an alignment performed, and repaint the car. You have to determine if it is worth it to you to revive her. Some members might say you are better off buying a replacement. I know if it were me, I would probably restore her. Fenders, grilles, headlights, they are not too crazy expensive.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey, Don't lose hope yet.. Same thing happen to Me last week.. I pulled off the munched hood and front end parts , tweeked the core support back in place and it looks as good as new.. I'm sure you can find body parts at a scrap yard..

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
too bad you're not closer. I have an oil cooler on the parts car if you need it, perhaps other stuff too like an aux AC fan, etc.

sorry for your loss. I concur with the frame bending comments... if it's not bent, fix it.
the car I'm parting out looked like the damage was really light, but the lf frame horn is bent a fair amount.

·
Registered
84 300TD, 2004 E320 wagon, 2006 CLS55,
1,051 Posts
while your at it install genII w126 brakes so you can stop in time next go around. :)

·
Registered
1984 300TDt
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually contribute my long stopping distance to bad tires. Ive been meaning to replace them for a while, but funds have been short.

·
Registered
1979 Mercedes-Benz 240D
675 Posts
I'd say definetly fix her.. she's worth it as long as the frame isn't bent, which I doubt. If for some reason you decide not to fix her and get another car, I would like to see some pictures of the interior woodtrim, ashtray and assembly and the glovebox depending on condition and color of interior... thanks...

·
Registered
1984 300TDt
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the wife Veto'd my request to buy a parts car and fix it... so it indeed went to the scrapper in january. She didnt want a car parked in the yard long enough to part it out either.

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo Diesel
1,799 Posts
damn that really sucks! i'm sorry for the loss of the wagon!

·
W201, W212, W221, & W222 Moderator
'84 Euro 500SE, '85 Euro 2.3-16, '51 Euro 170S, '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport, '15 G63 AMG
8,509 Posts
Well the wife Veto'd my request to buy a parts car and fix it... so it indeed went to the scrapper in january. She didnt want a car parked in the yard long enough to part it out either.
Wives, always against us, every step of the way!! Good thing I'm not married yet, or planning it anytime soon. But when that day comes :surrender:

·
W201, W212, W221, & W222 Moderator
'84 Euro 500SE, '85 Euro 2.3-16, '51 Euro 170S, '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport, '15 G63 AMG
8,509 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts