Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes Benz SL500
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on the 101 freeway yesterday here is southern California when I see the exit I am about to take backed up, I take it anyway. After about five minutes I see the reason why, a black SL had rear ended a late model Mitsubishi Lancer. It was a pretty substantial hit, and both cars were pretty messed up. Everyone appeared to be out of the cars and okay. My first reaction was sadness, I love these cars and it was painful to see one like that. Then I felt a little joy in thinking one less SL in existence a little more value to mine in the future. I know its bad to think that when someone just lost their car like that. Is that flawed logic? Once our cars bottom out and start to appreciate will the number on the road affect how much and fast that happens?
BTW it was a black SL500, looked to be a 96-98 model (driving by, quick glance). If it was anyone on the forum I really am sorry for the accident.

·
Registered
SL-LESS (for now) and 2002 Jaguar XJ8 Executive
270 Posts
A very peculiar way of thinking! I don't vote for that one.....

·
Registered
'96 SL500, Triple Black
1,650 Posts
The logic may not be flawed, a little dark but probably not flawed. Values do differ depending on the available units.

I am glad it appeared everyone was OK.

·
Registered
'91 500SL, '92 300E, '65 Mustang
305 Posts
a little evil. haha. if anything, you should be joyful that its not you!
glad everyone was okay though.

Hmm, maybe a new parts car avaliable?
Where was this exactly on the 101 by the way?

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,813 Posts
Allow me to voice my opinion, as I find your reasoning irrational.
Your SL has already entered the modern classics arena. With time, it will gain collectible status.
And that's a lot of time to wait for.

Mileage, authenticity, overall condition, will mostly determine its value.

Not the number of other's trashed ones.

The R129 is not a C111.

·
Registered
'96 SL500, Triple Black
1,650 Posts
Mileage, authenticity, overall condition, will mostly determine its value.

Not the number of other's trashed ones.

The R129 is not a C111.
Ah, I might disagree a little given extremes. If there were only 100 R129's left, it would be more valuable than if there were 200,000 around. However, with the number originally produced it probably isn't a big factor. ;)

·
Registered
05 C215 CL 500, 96 SL 500 PANO,96 W124 220CE,03 Smart 450 Cabrio, 96 W124 220CE, 07 Ford Transit!
431 Posts
if my car was of 2,000,000 it would not make a difference. It's special to me because i've wanted one since 1989. in our recent snow I've had some hairy moments but been willing to wait hours before i moved the car. TBh the only thing i see every morning are the scratches on my pano. Who else hears the creaks, or sees the missing bulbs. Hans, i realise that things will never be the same for you, you've had more than most losses but if i have to go, it will be where i am happiest and we all know where that is. Ulrich is special, one of a kind, we all have that kind, who can say that their car is finished/ready? My latest fad is to have my car concourse. €800/$1073 to waxoil and seal,€4.29/5.75 per day government tax, €1.32/$1.77 litre gas, €600/$804 insurance etc etc etc etc etc etc! The first thing i realised when i bought mine was that it was a better car, than i was a driver, 2 years later I'm still courting it, knowing that it will bite. Why else are we here? talking to all these strangers who understand why we go nuts over rough idle (Darragh) or dodgy stereos. It is what it is; an SL: road car, road demon

·
Registered
2007 911 GT3 RS, 1990 420SEL, 2007 S550, 1994 SL500 6.0, 2011 Aston Martin DBS
522 Posts
If you own a Gullwing SL, you should be happy. The value of your car shot up, but ALSO, the world has one less Gullwing. If a random calls me off this forum and tells me he needs help with his R129 I'll see what I can do. I'd be depressed to see a R129 be abused let alone totaled however..

·
Registered
97SL500R129, 01ML320W163, 94E320W124 & 93500EW124
2,921 Posts
Is that flawed logic?
Your logic may not be flawed if you focus on the material side. But, I think the value of our SL is nothing compared to the trauma experienced by the drivers of both car. I would rather loose all of the value of my SL than to see a fellow owner wreck his.

This is just my (unsolicited) opinion, I mean no disrespect nor imply that you are wrong. But, I feel sad that you'd find joy or benefit from someone's misfortune.

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes Benz SL500
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys,
I think the post may have come across wrong. I should not have put happy in the title. When I first the the SL I was truly sad. It hurt to see what has become to me a passion destroyed and sitting there in that condition. I usually don't look at accidents (can't stand rubbernecking), but being a R129 involved I did look. If it was me I would be devastated. I don't wish that on anyone, I just thought later that as our cars age less will be road worthy, and this is an example of that. I was interested to see if that will reflect the value of the vehicles left.
This was amplified in my head later that day when I went to my local body shop to drop off a old set of lockers to be refinished. There were 2 129s there. One was getting completely repainted. The owner of the shop (a friend of mine) told me it is owned by a former player for the 49'ers. The top had been slashed and a gallon of paint was thrown on it! The other sat in the corner looking really neglected. Being a '98 like mine I was shocked to see the difference from a cars like the ones that we own on this forum, and truly appreciate, and others that are neglected.
BTW Andrew the accident was off the Topanga Canyon north exit.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
I have a friend that ones told me....
During the war they were pined in a ditch with other soldiers.

A bullet goes right through the helmet to the soldiers head right next to him.

The first thing he felt was happiness that it was not him.
Then he felt sorry for losing his friend.
Strange?
I don't think so.

Does that explain the SL accident feeling?

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
'96 SL500, Triple Black
1,650 Posts
What kind of bothers me is that these costs to rebuild following an accident can fairly easily total the car. The insurance company takes it and we are out. There are possibilities to buy them back from the insurance but it isn't always successful.

MEH! Maybe I should just go with what relatives tell me... "quit bugging me about how I drive, maintain this car, when it breaks I will buy a new one"... haha :) but but but there are no more new 129s?! "Then I'll buy a 230." Needless to say I lost that argument.

·
Registered
'93 SL500 (sold), '88 GMC Sierra 360,000 miles, '86 Yamaha FJ1200 (criminally fast)
770 Posts
Where I live, there must be 10 SL's within a 6-block area.

One crash won't change the value of the car. These cars are valued, based on, all the reasons which we own one.

The SL is not a practical car, when someone like me has one, & my income is not as much as an owner who has one, with a high income, and can service it properly. It's the cost of pleasure. This car IS pleasure! And pleasure has a cost.

·
Registered
1999 SL500, 2004 CLK500, 2006 Cadillac SRX
873 Posts
Ah, I might disagree a little given extremes. If there were only 100 R129's left, it would be more valuable than if there were 200,000 around. However, with the number originally produced it probably isn't a big factor. ;)
Your close here, as the original number of R129s total produced is 204940, one less compared to this number would increase the "value" of your car by 0.00048%. Of course, the one you saw was not the first one to bite the dust, so even if there were 1/2 the number produced -102470, that makes the percentage change to 0.00097%. I highly doubt that our cars will ever exceed their original cost from the factory (okay - maybe be in 100 years, but none of us will have to worry about that!)

·
Registered
'93 SL500 (sold), '88 GMC Sierra 360,000 miles, '86 Yamaha FJ1200 (criminally fast)
770 Posts
What are you waiting for to get all of those tow hook covers? :confused:
Very funny..... Ha.... I actually have MY tow hook cover wire-tied......

Also, most people around here don't bend that low, anyway!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts