Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1986 560 SEC
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I can say is wow. I started driving my car a couple weeks ago, and WOW! This thing is sooo smooth, and powerful, and nice, and, and...

Well coming from the old farm truck to this, I expected to be impressed, but this is a beautiful ride. I really like the Webasto heater leaving the interior and engine warm at -20 Celsius. That is niiiiiice. I haven't really pushed it yet, but the other day on the highway I gave it some legs, and when it hit 3000 rpm - a whole new beast emerges. Too much gravel still on the roads so I take it easy, but I can't wait to see how well it handles.

It seems to have a bit of trouble starting when it has been sitting. It only cranks for 10 seconds or so, and then it rumbles to life slowly - just not as smooth as I was expecting, I guess.

Now I fully understand the attraction to these cars.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,394 Posts
To help take advantage of all the forum features (search etc.), please re visit the 'Welcome to the Forum' tutorial sticky on top of our W126 page

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
Glad you like the car. The real enthusiasts for them hang out here, and also at Welcome to MB Coupes! (the first SEC-specific site for them.)

What looks like a diplomatic flag holder might in fact be a parking aid accessory.

If I recall, the actual flag holder mounts on the front fender for these, whereas the parking aid mounts by the front bumper, I think.

Either are a very rare factory accessory, and are found mostly on W126ers that were delivered to Japan in LHD guise, and within the last few years finding their way to Canada.

Is yours such a vehicle (ex-Japanese?)

Run the vin # through the free Russian vin# check website and see what comes up, country to where delivered when new, list of options, and so on

·
Registered
1987 300SDL
1,609 Posts
yep, you got that spot on my friend :thumbsup:
that is precisely the reason we love our beasties so goddamn much, but yeah one does appreciate these automobiles after a while, acquired taste is what I call it.

·
Registered
1986 560 SEC
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes cascade, there is a Santa Clause

From the previous ower I have been told that his brother, in Vancouver, BC, Canada was at an auction where they brought a block of three vehicles out that were said to be ex-diplomatic services vehicles from Japan, and he purchased all three. This one the brother purchased and brought to Alberta, where he kept it for a few years, and decided he wanted a newer Jag (his loss - my gain).

The Russian VIN sight says it went to a dealer in Germany, but I can't remember which one. It also says the car was painted a deep blue, but there is no evidence that the silver on it now is not the original color.

The flag pole is deffinitely a flag pole as near as I can tell. It has a plastic sleeve/cover to protect it, and there are rings on to hang a flag from.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts