Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Mercedes 300TD wagon
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the hell happened to my transmission? Granted it has something like 255,000 miles on it or approximately the distance between the earth and the moon plus 16,000 miles back towards earth. Not bad but all of a sudden it's leaking like a sieve and the transmission is flarring between gears here and there. Well the transmission is only really leaking a few tablespoons worth of ATF each day. Right now it's pretty rarely flaring but what the hell?

One thing that makes me nervous is that I'm driving the car about 1200 miles this tuesday-thursday. Yeah, that's a lot isn't it? I'm driving Los Angeles-Phoenix-Tucson-Phoenix-Los Angeles. I think it will make it....right?

My mechanic says pratically every seal on the transmission is leaking at this point. As long as the AFT levels are ok, I think I should be fine. He says he can rebuild the tranny for about $1500. Anyone know of where I can buy a rebuilt transmission cheaper than that and just pay my mechanic to install it?

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Are you sure the cooler lines are not the culprit? Easier to replace, and I hope that's all!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, unfortunately it's definitely leaking from underneath right under the transmission.

·
Registered
'77 6.9, 74 240D, 96 Ram 5.9L Cummins
2,654 Posts
Is the level low or is it still full and flaring too?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The ATF has been filled when Mike and the mechanics last looked at it. He said it's leaking from all the seals. He has a history of throwing in the shop towel a little prematurely though. The transmission appears to be leaking from several locations underneath.

·
Premium Member
1977 240D
475 Posts
I think you'll be fine as long as you keep the fluid level up. A really good time to check the level, actually, would be about two hours into your drive to Phoenix. That way you make sure the fluid is really warm. If need be, add a little bit at a time, like one cup every two hours, during the trip until it's at the top line when you pull over to check it.

Also, for what it's worth, I had a pretty significant leak from my 300D's transmission that was fixed with a new pan gasket.

Good luck!

·
Registered
81' 300D, 82 300TD
393 Posts
my tranny started leaking big time and it was from a couple of places, where the tranny dipstick mates with the pan, and there was a seal on the input shaft that was leaking big time and that was the main problem, that involved taking the tranny off and when i did i found that the seal was fine but a metal ring fell right out in pieces which ment a lot more trouble than i ever thought.

·
Registered
2007 S550
1,165 Posts
weoner said:
my tranny started leaking big time and it was from a couple of places, where the tranny dipstick mates with the pan, and there was a seal on the input shaft that was leaking big time and that was the main problem, that involved taking the tranny off and when i did i found that the seal was fine but a metal ring fell right out in pieces which ment a lot more trouble than i ever thought.

Please expand on this weoner, what did the broken metal ring lead to?

And Benzoid, what do you think you'ld have to pay your mechanic to R/R your tranny? I'll bet he'll want a pretty penny for that as well. I'll bet you'ld be money ahead to have him do the rebuild providing he gives you some sort of warranty.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My mech says he'll rebuild the transmission for $1500 for everything. He should cut me a deal since he walks away with 1 out of 4 of my paychecks each month! Ok, so I'm exaggerating but I have given him a lot of money since August of 05'.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts