Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
2008 ML350 (Me!), 2010 GLK350 (Wife), 2003 ML-350 (Deceased)
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last week we had a cold snap and I noticed my ML wasn‘t starting in the morning with the same “gusto” it used too. It would now do a slow “rarr“ before starting up. I put my battery load tester on it, and it tested borderline “weak”. Now I know people have had good luck with aftermarket batteries, but that’s one of the few things I go OEM on along with fluids; except oil. ( Mobll1! ) I figure, you rarely if ever have to replace it, the size is just weird, spend a little extra and get the real deal for the right ”fit in the pit”. So I stopped by the dealer today and picked one up. No core charge, which I and the parts guy thought was weird.

When I pulled the old battery, I was shocked to see it was the original! Date code 06/08. That’s gotta be some kind of BenzWorld record! 😆 And it was still starting the vehicle, it had just lost it’s mojo. A helluva run for sure. The new one cranked like it used too, so all is well. If this new one lasts half as long, I’m still ahead of the game. I believe the alternator is original as well. That’ll go next I bet.

·
Registered
2009 ML350 164.186 / 272.967 / 722.9
41 Posts
Pretty impressive. How much did it cost? I'm sure mine is original (no carpet cuts)...delivery was Sept 4, 2008.

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
$257 😵. Two year full warranty (no pro-rated bs). My truck has the “High Capacity Battery” code 673, why I don’t know exactly. Xenons maybe? Anyway, they gave me the same 95Ah, 850cca heavy hunk of lead, but new part number. Man that things a pain to muscle out of its cave!

I will say this. That 12yr old battery still looks new. Terminals were clean and shiny, no hint of corrosion anywhere. Even though the mid-ship battery box is a royal PIA, I will hand it to the engineers. It sure does keep the battery well isolated from the elements. I wonder if that is one of the keys to its longevity?

·
Registered
2008 ML350 (W164)
114 Posts
Wow. I think I'm on the 3rd battery in my '08.

The location makes so much sense considering the damage heat does to batteries.

My OEM battery didn't offer extra life compared to the rest, BTW.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
CLK 280 Ponton 190
27 Posts
The battery from my 2005 CLK is now in my Ponton and never had a problem starting.
CLK did not like the original one, instruments, indicators, seat belt presenter would not work after starting from cold..

·
Registered
2007 E320 Bluetec, 2008 320ML CDI
2,455 Posts
Last week we had a cold snap and I noticed my ML wasn‘t starting in the morning with the same “gusto” it used too. It would now do a slow “rarr“ before starting up. I put my battery load tester on it, and it tested borderline “weak”. Now I know people have had good luck with aftermarket batteries, but that’s one of the few things I go OEM on along with fluids; except oil. ( Mobll1! ) I figure, you rarely if ever have to replace it, the size is just weird, spend a little extra and get the real deal for the right ”fit in the pit”. So I stopped by the dealer today and picked one up. No core charge, which I and the parts guy thought was weird.

When I pulled the old battery, I was shocked to see it was the original! Date code 06/08. That’s gotta be some kind of BenzWorld record! And it was still starting the vehicle, it had just lost it’s mojo. A helluva run for sure. The new one cranked like it used too, so all is well. If this new one lasts half as long, I’m still ahead of the game. I believe the alternator is original as well. That’ll go next I bet.
Be sure to replace the smaller auxiliary battery too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Be sure to replace the smaller auxiliary battery too.
I actually changed the AUX battery in 2018. It did die completely, giving the white battery warning. When I changed it, I didn't pay attention to the main battery. It looked so clean, I never once thought it could be original. BTW, the date on the AUX was also 08 so it lasted 10 years. Maybe it's just luck that I am on the far end of the curve?

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,235 Posts
I was buying genuine MBZ batteries, too. One reason was because they would send out roadside assist for free and replace the battery for the price of the part, but they no longer do that unless you are covered by roadside assist. After the last two I bought only lasted two years, I switched to using the Advance Auto Autocraft Platinum AGM. I can get one of those for under $200 (tax and all, using their online ordering coupon). The dealer is now over $300 after tax. I've bought 5 of the Advance batteries and never had one fail, though with two of them, I only had the car a few years after replacing the battery. I have two in the SL, and the consumer battery is now about 4 years old and still going strong, even though I only drive it about twice a week.

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
3,668 Posts
Each to his own but I have never understood those who want to run their battery until the car dies or...worse.

Have a friend with an ML500 that had the weirdest electrical issues - dealer told them they need an "AAM" - All Activities Module - which they couldn't get anymore.

Took it to my friend who is an indy and the problem?

Battery was too old. It was going below 12 volts with a load.

I replace them as soon as the warranty is up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts