Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of talk about quality problems on this board. If you could return your SLK350, 200 or SLK55 to the dealer for a full refund would you??

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
Sure I would return it and then get another new car, with rain sensing wipers this time, straight away.2 months free motoring, good deal.
I think we need to assume there would be some discount for depreciation, and then my answer would probably be no, but I would take a couple of other cars out for a drive before making a final decision.

·
Registered
R171 200K
115 Posts
No!

I really love the car, though its not perfect. The only reason i might consider returning it is because i am now in a better position to afford a larger engine, though that would really just be spoiling myself and not for any real problem with the car.

All in all i still have never wished i had bought a different car instead for my budget.

·
Registered
'05 SLK350
73 Posts
You know, it's funny, but if you had asked me this question a few months ago I would have wanted to return it. But now the weather is warming up and I can drive my SLK nearly every day and I'm getting happier and happier. Plus I have gotten my Porsche out of storage and I can get my sports car fix, too.

So after four months of ownership I'm finally coming around to thinking I made the right decision.

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
gdewitt - 4/27/2005 10:59 PM

I have gotten my Porsche out of storage and I can get my sports car fix, too.
So, the Porsche is the sports car, how do you classify the SLK??

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Woolly - 4/26/2005 3:10 PM

To me, definitely not a sports car but I might feel differently if I had a manual. I thought I really liked the look of the car initially but now I don't think it looks that great. (I am the "Maybe" vote above). I really like the old body style of the SLK better. Definitely do not like the automatic transmission. It is my first and my last. It just feels like a luxury car with no sport to it. I should have (dare I say it?) purchased the new Boxter[:0]

·
Registered
SLK350
834 Posts
Definitely would not return it. I'd say stock for stock, the Boxster S is sportier (I slaughtered a base 2005 Boxster on the 110 this weekend). With a few upgrades (primarily suspension, chip, better/wider tires), I'd say it can run neck-to-neck with even the new Boxster S. Plus the hard-top is amazing. I have the SLK350 in the manual and I have to say that the transmission is decent for Mercedes' attempt at a semi-sports car. I can pull even from a drag start with a SL500. I'll give you guys more of an opinion after I track my car next month at Streets of Willow Springs (along with my friends' E46 M3, S4, 350Z, Boxster S, 911 Turbo, etc). I'm pretty sure I can hang with them. If I can, I'll be happy.

However, that stock suspension is pretty horrible. The ride is nice and smooth but the cornering produces so much body roll it's like I'm trying to corner an American sedan. Otherwise, my only other beef with the car is the tremendously expensive and painful process you have to go through to upgrade the audio system. I'd go back and get the Nav/HK Logic7 system for $3000 extra.

·
Registered
SLK 200, Golf V GTI
269 Posts
Of couse I would!

Hell Yes!

but I'd trade up to a 55![;)]

Seriously though, I love my car, especially in this beautiful autumn weather with the roof down. However, I have this constant desire beating away inside me to own an SLK55! It's only a matter of time I hope!

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
in a simple reply....absolutely not....10,700+ miles and loving it....[:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
'08 SLK 280
133 Posts
Even though I do not have my car yet, and this opinion probably doesn't count... I believe the positives FAR outweigh the negatives with this vehicle. Being that this is a new model, during the FIRST production run, with a new drive train, I think that the handfull of problems being reported does not completely represent the entire manufacturing run. I am quite certain that MB will honor all warranty issues and make the "problems" right with this fantastic automobile.

Optimistic????...maybe, but i believe in patience and the manufacturers ability to make things right when they go wrong. Remember...there is no such thing as completely trouble free technology.

Just my humble opinion...

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
My COMAND unit bit it today. Very lame for a $70K car that's only 2000 miles young.

So yeah, I'm going to option out a 997S Cab tomorrow... and ponder selling the benz. But I do love my SLK so I'm sure I'll change my mind when they get it fixed.

Just upset that I have to deal with an unscheduled service visit when my dealer is 30 miles away. Dealer nearby only gives loaners to owners who bought from them.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
Reading about the seat problems and the COMAND issues, I am kinda glad I went with the KISS principle and kept it simple...manual seats (although with heating package), basic stereo and no problems to date with 10,700+ miles...let me knock on wood...[:eek:)]

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
malibuite - 4/26/2005 7:08 PM

To me, definitely not a sports car but I might feel differently if I had a manual. I thought I really liked the look of the car initially but now I don't think it looks that great. (I am the "Maybe" vote above). I really like the old body style of the SLK better. Definitely do not like the automatic transmission. It is my first and my last. It just feels like a luxury car with no sport to it. I should have (dare I say it?) purchased the new Boxter[:0]
I can't speak for other set ups, mine is manual with sports suspension, and its nicely balanced. I can throw it into a corner and my confidence in doing that is growing over time. So with the sun shining here today, when I drop the top and find some twisting open road, you can be sure I am either in a wreck that I just crashed badly or in a sports car. Based on having survived this same experience in the past I know I was driving a sports car.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
I would not return it. I've had zero problems to date.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
joyfulheart - 4/26/2005 11:17 PM

malibuite - 4/26/2005 7:08 PM

I can't speak for other set ups, mine is manual with sports suspension, and its nicely balanced. I can throw it into a corner and my confidence in doing that is growing over time. So with the sun shining here today, when I drop the top and find some twisting open road, you can be sure I am either in a wreck that I just crashed badly or in a sports car. Based on having survived this same experience in the past I know I was driving a sports car.
Yes, that is my problem...no manual transmission....no sports suspension....I feel like I am driving my grandmother's Mercedes[^]

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
Sorry to hear that Malibuite.
You can still get the suspension changed, but at a cost.
As for the Auto, surely if you floor the gas in S mode isn't gonna make your granny swallow her teeth?

No offence intended.

·
Registered
2005 SLK55
45 Posts
I think cars are like relationships (or as my bitter buddy would want to call it relation-rocketships). While we would all like to get back what we put in and there are always things that bugs us the question is will you dump your significant other because they have some flaws out of the factory.

Wow... I can't belive I just wrote that, I guess I really love my SLK55!

·
Registered
2000SLK-2005SLK
57 Posts
SJCrash,
Stay in therapy, keep taking your meds and buy a Porsche. Then you will really have serious things to worry about.[:)]

·
Registered
SLK 350
155 Posts
NO F***ING WAY would I give up this car. Already did the Porsche & BMW thing and the only place to go is Ferrari.

I love my Ben-ZEE and plan to keep it till the next generation comes out and then buy another!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts