Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,206 Posts
Things other than a MAF could be causing the misfire. Does it have it any stored or pending codes?
Even if the CEL is not on there could be codes. (A misfire should trigger a CEL and a code)

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,206 Posts
Conditions can vary, but routinely these Bosch made MAF's from the factory can last 200k miles.
If you were in my old home town of Charleston I am more inclined to think MAF due to salt air, but
inland in Columbia that is not a factor.

If you are committed to the truck which I am to mine also then a MAF is not a waste of money, I just
do not know if it will solve the slight lump in the idle.

·
Registered
'02 ML500 (Kleeman headers, tune, AMG ML55 wheels,3.09 diffs, 3rd row seats);
272 Posts
No codes whatsoever, my mechanic used a fancy scanner... it's barely a misfire more a very slight "out of round" idle when warmed up. I had the motor mounds checked and they look ok.
I recently took the MAF insert out and used CRC MAF cleaner and the wire is nice and shiny.
I don't want to throw money after a problem I don't know the cause of but at 107k I thought replacing the MAF would be one option. I am planning to keep the truck, almost looks like out of the factory and people are amazed it's a 99.
MAF is a consumable, but like sparkplugs, can last a long time before degrading.

If you use MAF cleaner and saw NO change, then unlikely a bad MAF. A cleaner will usually show a short term improvement.

However, they shouldn't be that expensive (haven't priced it lately), so if it makes you feel better, go ahead and replace. It isn't going to hurt.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,146 Posts
Wiley, I don't know where this term "consumable" originated (probably some invented internet term), but there is only one consumable in a motor vehicle and that is gasoline. Everything else, fluids and parts, are replaced accordingly.

MAF sensors are replaceable parts just like any other part, but just to replace it because of a ridiculous term is foolish. You might as well replace everything your eyes can see and rate it as "consumable".

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,146 Posts
"A consumable is, according to the 1913 edition of Webster's Dictionary, something that is capable of being consumed; that may be destroyed, dissipated, wasted, or spent"

This clearly applies to a MAF. Nevertheless isn't there a schedule for replacing the serpentine belt even if you don't see any severe usage or damage? So that would be a "consumable" item that needs to be replaced.
Or I can just change the headline to: Would you consider to replace the MAF at a certain age if thats less confusing.
I wonder why you chose the 1913 definition of "consumable" but the word is used, and has been used on this and other forums incorrectly. People just keep using a word because is sounds good or meets their need/s.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 Ml430
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I give up... I use a simple example because I am asking for help and I am being berated about grammar and words that I shouldn't use... thanks for all the help
Whoever is in charge here please deleted this post since it apparently doesn't live up to the high standards of this web site.. You may want to add a warning that you have to be a member of Mensa to post here

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,146 Posts
I give up... I use a simple example because I am asking for help and I am being berated about grammar and words that I shouldn't use... thanks for all the help
Whoever is in charge here please deleted this post since it apparently doesn't live up to the high standards of this web site.. You may want to add a warning that you have to be a member of Mensa to post here
Wiley, in no way did I berate you. Your original post asked, is a MAF sensor a consumable item. And the answer was no it is not and I gave the reason why.

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430
1,802 Posts
These are not new vehicles. You will be replacing parts and many are quite expensive.

I believe the old adage applys to the MAF...... If it ain't broke don't fix it.

·
Registered
Current 2017 GLE350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320 Deceased 74 240D, 92 400E, 97 E420, 13 GLK350
1,915 Posts
I give up...
LOL :D Wiley - you gave me a good laugh this morning. Also, I think your avatar was perfect for this thread. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 SL500; 2003 E320; 2001 ML430 Sport; 1999 E320 Wagon
404 Posts
It is my understanding that the device actually does consume itself during normal operation (like a spark plug gets consumed) and is thus expected to fail eventually, requiring simple replacement. Mine went at ~100K miles and the cleaner only restored it for a few K miles, so I just replaced it.
There is quite a bit about this topic here in the archives.

·
Registered
2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
875 Posts
No, I do not consider the MAF to be a consumable item in the sense that one should expect one day (or several days) to replace before the entire vehicle is ready for retirement and recycling.

MAF sensors fail much more often when a K&N air filter (or similar oiled gauze) is used than for any other reason.

·
Registered
2002 ML320
323 Posts
Why ask such a low level question? I mean you are yourself a consumable item? Are you not?. :)

Everything has a half life, and it all comes from nothing. Who cares, I try to think positive about the cars I drive and so far the only thing that has damaged them has been me :)

I have never had a MAF cause me issues, I also never pushed a car past 130K. I believe in the ole Italian Tune Up.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3, 2019 Honda Odyssey
2,982 Posts
Yeah right... let this idiotic thread become philosophical... I was pondering every day why the intelligent quotient of the entire Mercedes work force in Alabama is about as high as the janitor in the German factory in Stuttgart...
Give me a freaking break with your lecture... my transmission broke at 46k miles and had to be replaced, both front cooling fans broke at 50k, the transfer case broke around 60k miles... and on and on and on.. of course that was all my fault!!!
"and so far the only thing that has damaged them has been me".... means I should have NOT put the key in the ignition and drove it out of the garage because my sensitive German engineered piece of wonder is to prissy to be driven by a wild man in his sixties who dares to take of from a green light at over 30 miles and stomps the gas pedal to the ground and flies down city streets at over 50 miles.....

Please somewhere here delete this thread it is becoming ridiculous!
No, if you don't like your thread anymore, stop reading it.

Where have you been the subject of any lectures or beratings in this thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
First look at how the maf works in that they heat the element in the maf (that's the tiny wire between the posts) so that means it is resistive. As the intake air flows over it cools it and the voltage changes. The problem is being resistive is that as resistors age if they don't crack they go high. Their resistance increases and that means they get warmer or eventually given enough power will just about burn through boards. Most small ones just give off a puff of gagging smoke. In the maf I would bet it is self calibrating. So as it ages and goes higher it compensates up to a point where it would start to act abnormal. That would be where the resistance isn't a nice linear change as the air flows over it. It get unpredictable in how it changes as the air flows over it.

So I would say the maf is a long term consumable ie used up. It slowly degrades and the rate of that is going to vary just from something like how hot the intake air is or how much you idle. Would think idling would be the worst thing while driving with your foot welded to the floor would prolong the life of the maf anyway...:)

Hope that gibberish explains why it degrades over time. I did stumble across just the new maf module or insert for about $80. Was on one of the parts places lice autohausaz but can't recall which one.

Dave

PS Wiley no pm's?

·
Registered
2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
875 Posts
I only partially agree with Wragie's hot resistor failure theory. What he says is true for carbon film resistors but much much much less so for wirewound resistors or even bare metal heating elements where 100,000 hour MTBF is common.

The electrical circuit driving the hot wire failed in the MAF's I have fondled. That could explain why cleaning the wire only temporarily helped others, it got closer to operating range, into a range the circuit could still handle.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
613 Posts
N4HHE I think the key thing is the wire sensor is going out of allowable range not actually a total failure. Even a wire sensor changes ever so slightly with every heat cycle. All it has to do is change enough to go out of range or become non-linear and you have problems.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts