Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1989 420 SEL, 2001 E55
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need another opinion. Found out the owner of the W210 E55 I'm looking at buying periodically takes the car out to the drag strip. Sounds like a fun time, but as a potential buyer, it worries me a bit.

Someone please tell me that the car was built for speed and exercising it once in a while doesn't mean that it's being abused. What do you think?

·
Registered
2000 E55 AMG
577 Posts
Food for thought: If I was going to the track, I would be looking for an optimum track time. If I was going for an optimum track time, I would maintain my vehicle at an optimum performance status. Get my drift here? Good luck.

·
Registered
1989 420 SEL, 2001 E55
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. Seemed like a bigger deal at 1am this morning. Thanks for the opinion. :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
I agree with rubenz. The majority of people that go to the track are already obsessive about their cars. Maintaining perfect tire pressures, synthetic oils, filters, and premium fuels to keep the car running in it's optimum form. Granted, I would be more worried if it were an autocross car, brakes, bushings and suspension all take a beating much more so then going fast in a straight line then slowing down.

That's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1989 420 SEL, 2001 E55
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bulletproof plus performance. Just the combo I'm looking for. I've committed to the deal, so I'll be an E55 owner soon! Gotta sell the 420SEL, but that should take care of itself soon.

RuBenz, at the risk of highjacking my own thread, what wheels are those? Size? They look great. I'll need winter tires, so I'm thinking about putting snows on the original wheels, and picking up some summer shoes...maybe like yours. Thanks.

·
Registered
2000 E55 AMG
577 Posts
...RuBenz, at the risk of highjacking my own thread, what wheels are those? Size? They look great. I'll need winter tires, so I'm thinking about putting snows on the original wheels, and picking up some summer shoes...maybe like yours. Thanks.
Brabus VI replicas: 18x8 ET30 Front; 18x9 ET30 Rear. Aftermarket rims for our W210 E55s is a bitch. Especially the front rims. A very tight fit. The only issue I had with these particular rims was the aftermarket lug bolts on the rear rim. These rims require a 12mm lug bolt with an acorn head (as opposed to OEM ball seat heads). I used 12mm X 1X 24mm, and the tire shop had to grind the rear 24mm lug bolts down to ~20mm. If you do indeed go to aftermarket rims, be prepared to deal with fitment issues. Go to an reputable shop. Here's a link to an identical set of rims on Ebay; dirty cheap:
eBay Motors: 18 mercedes benz c e cl clk s sl slk ml r wheels rims (item 350065768252 end time Jun-30-08 02:36:47 PDT)

·
Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
10,980 Posts
Need another opinion. Found out the owner of the W210 E55 I'm looking at buying periodically takes the car out to the drag strip. Sounds like a fun time, but as a potential buyer, it worries me a bit.

Someone please tell me that the car was built for speed and exercising it once in a while doesn't mean that it's being abused. What do you think?
WITH A CAR THAT RUNS IN EXCELLENT MECHANICAL CONDITION. I dont see why it would hurt with "A few runs at the dragstrip occasionally".
Matter fact, they say that you "should" open it up full throttle at least every now and then.

It keeps the motor healthier. (in general)

As far as wear and tear? Well mainly just in the tires or brakes

Just my opinion at least.

·
Registered
1989 420 SEL, 2001 E55
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Appreciate the input. Bought the car last Friday night, so the deal is done. No regrets, it's an awesome car and has been very well taken care of. I might have to get it out to the track myself.

I'll post pics when I get a chance.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Appreciate the input. Bought the car last Friday night, so the deal is done. No regrets, it's an awesome car and has been very well taken care of. I might have to get it out to the track myself.
I'll post pics when I get a chance.
Congrats! Welcome to the AMG family too... Enjoy the new toy!! We're eagerly awaiting pics.... :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts