Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1994 S420
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought 1994 S420 w/60k miles and have the chance to buy extended warranty/service package for about $3000. Program is good for 5 years or 100,000 additional miles.

Program covers majority of mechanicals ; typical drive train (engine, tran, differential, axle, brake system) plus electrical mechanicals (no modules or chips), AC mechanical components and windows. $100 copay and documented oil changes at 4000 miles.

How likely am I to have $3000 or more of mechanical failures in the next 3-5 years ?

The items I can think of are......
AC compressor or evaporator could cover over $1000 or more.

water pump or alternator failure would be another $500 or more each.

Following items are excluded as far as I can tell....wiring harness, heat/AC controls, engine controls, valves of all things, radiator,

What other major repairs and costs are likely for mechanical items from 60k to 160k ?

timing chain ???....is that a preventive maintenance item (not covered), or likely to stretch and get sloppy and chatter before scheduled replacement ?

transmission ??? is this a common failure ?

front end , tie rods, rocker arms ???

The ONLY negative is there are component limits...roughly $3,000 per major mechanical group and $2,000 for some minor groups like AC or front end and axles.

·
Registered
1994 S420
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Lot's of Looks, No Advice

After three days, 80 views of the original question/post, and not one reply with advice, counsel, precautionary statements, or anything good or bad about extended service plans.

So....does anyone have knowledge, experience, or suggestions regarding extended service plans for a MB mid to late 90's vintage ?

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 & 1999 S500
892 Posts
The oil changes every 4000 miles is excessive. My 99 S500 says every 10K miles At $95 a change, your warranty is going to cost you 2.5 times as much on oil changes. I have a warranty which covers a little more than yours, and I got them to change the oil change requirement. My warranty was $2400. If interested, I can send you info when I have more time. Yours seems to elliminate a lot of stuff.

·
Registered
ML550/Corvette C6/Land Rover Disc
4 Posts
What company are you looking to purchase from? Did you do a search to read reviews from warranty holders? I have a year left on my factory warranty and if I don't upgrade my vehicle I will purchase an extended warranty, repairs are to costly..

·
Registered
93 500 sel - 95 s500
612 Posts
IMO I would not go for it. The 140 has pretty low miles, 60k. In my case most my running cost has gone into the suspension. Your suspension (shocks, bushings, links, arms, etc.) should still be good for years to come. I did not see much problem with mine until 250,000km (155,000 miles)

Seeing how no modules or chips are covered in electrical mechanicals does not sound good. There any many modules and chips that in theory can go at anytime and be in 1000's.

If the car has been driven properly trans should also be good for tears to come.

I do not like how they have classified front end, AC as "minor" and have that $2000 limit. That amount could be spent in those areas in a heart beat.

With all this said a little bit of peace of mind can be worth $3000 if cash in not tight. But then if cash is not tight... find a 140 for 3 grand more and with lower miles!? lol

This is tough call, I believe it all comes down to how you feel about the current mechanical situation of the car. Is she pristine.. in "normal" condition for 60k or was she beat bad by her old owner.

Kevin

·
Registered
1999 S500 GRAND EDITION (32,800 Miles)
269 Posts
NO!!!

Let's see....if your A/C goes out, as they are well known to do, you will have paid $3000 for the policy, which will give you a $2000 return, thus costing you only $1000 for the policy---or put another way, leaving you with a $1000 loss. Then since, the repair of the A/C generally runs $4000-$5000, you will pay an additional $2000-$3000 to repair it. Thus factoring in the $3000 for the policy, the $2000_$3000 for the uninsured repairs, your cost with the policy would be $5000 to $6000 for $4000-$5000 repair. Seems to me that it is a losing proposition to pay someone $3000 to get $2000 back.

I researched many policies when I bought my car and found all of them lacking. I didn't buy one. I have had the car for almost exactly 4 years and so far have expended money for Oil, Plugs, a steering dampener, wiper refills and a head light lense. Only the steering dampener and the headlight lense might possibly be covered (though they would probably be called normal maintenance and thus excluded), nevertheless the $100 copay for each would return to me about a $1.98 for that $3000 policy.

My car may be exceptionally maintenance free, but I would be fascinated to hear from members who have had a good and rewarding experience with these Warranties/insurance policies.

Telechronos:):):)

1999 S500 Grand Edition
1984 380SL
1955 MG TF1500
1969 Factory Stick, Factory Tri-power Pontiac Grand Prix SJ

·
Registered
1994 S420
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Oil Changes Drive Up Total Cost of Policy

The oil changes every 4000 miles is excessive. My 99 S500 says every 10K miles At $95 a change, your warranty is going to cost you 2.5 times as much on oil changes. I have a warranty which covers a little more than yours, and I got them to change the oil change requirement. My warranty was $2400. If interested, I can send you info when I have more time. Yours seems to elliminate a lot of stuff.
I saw the oil change requirement similar as you

100k miles at 4000 miles means $2500 in oil changes.
100k miles at 10000 miles means $1000 in oil changes.

There is an additional $1500 of oil change costs to add to the cost of the service policy.

It really boils down to what are the expected costs over the next five years vs what the policy covers and costs.

Transmission has now been ruled out, thanks for that input.

I haven't seen too much else reading through the various forum threads which is a chronic problem in the mechanicals besides the AC components.

I've got a week to figure it all out.

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
The oil changes every 4000 miles is excessive.
that statement is full of shit

as to the op and the lack of comments, 99% of all warranties are a scam. the other 1% are called manufacturer warranty.

you are welcome.

·
Registered
1993 W140 500SEL Black/Black, 12014 Ford Fiesta ST Blk/Blk
1,128 Posts
I work at a dealer and part time at a Mercedes speciality shop. Forget a warranty, they'll leave out in the wind first chance, bullshit salesmen who know nothing. Reimbursement, forget it!

Best is when they go bankrupt and sell your policy, the nice elderly couple with their 7 Series was delighted to get that end of the stick.

AC repair no longer cost so much, few people out there with actual hearts will do it for less, without breaking everything along the way, I thought about one myself when I first got my W140, no need for it. Delighted to have many connections, blessed, I don't worry about the car, I fix it myself, IF it needs it. The tranny? probably the ONLY thing I'd ever worry about on these cars, but seeing others with 100s of thousands of miles on them, why worry.

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes Benz S320 SWB
274 Posts
I work at a dealer and part time at a Mercedes speciality shop. Forget a warranty, they'll leave out in the wind first chance, bullshit salesmen who know nothing. Reimbursement, forget it!

Best is when they go bankrupt and sell your policy, the nice elderly couple with their 7 Series was delighted to get that end of the stick.

AC repair no longer cost so much, few people out there with actual hearts will do it for less, without breaking everything along the way, I thought about one myself when I first got my W140, no need for it. Delighted to have many connections, blessed, I don't worry about the car, I fix it myself, IF it needs it. The tranny? probably the ONLY thing I'd ever worry about on these cars, but seeing others with 100s of thousands of miles on them, why worry.
The Andrew and all are right.

With the limits and exclusions in the policy, I would decline.

Cost of the policy versus its possible benefit: self-insure; set aside money each month into a "MB Repair" sub-account at your bank, say $400.00 a month.

James Combs,
Retired Allstate Insurance Agent,
Salt Lake City, Utah USA
1997 S320, 88,100 miles ($2,500 Homeowners deductible)

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,639 Posts
I just board anther MB and when they offer'd me the Warranty, i said NO, i dont need it , i fix it my self , they didnt like it ,i spoiled there Chrsitmas Spending Spree,LoL.
You need to be a Self judge to here you know ,look at the Car Properly ,look at the parts etc.., condition of them .

Here is my or Part of my Warranty Save and it is so much Fun to do.
( My Car has been standing in the Garage for the last 2 & half Month & yesterday i took her out "finally" she didnt sound to good and stalled at 1 intersection ,but i knew she only needed fresh Petrol and infact after filling her up with the best Petrol i can find here (Shell V-power ) & with a bit of High Speed Highway she cruised along as normal just the way she was before .
On the Weekend i still give her Sparkplugs /Coolant flush maybe /Oil/Filters/Transmission oilchange+filter and whatever she wants to make her Drive the way she should ,spoiled Brat )

Dont be scared working on these Cars you learn as you go ,depends what it is & if you have the knowledge & tools to do it ,3000$ buys a lot of tools you know .
Ciao :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1994 S420
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the Feedback and Information

Thanks to all for the various ideas and suggestions.

At this time I agree with the idea of putting money aside and doing as much work as possible myself. I've already done window regulator, ESP pump, mirror control switch which are all relatively easy take apart and parts swap.

The only thing I am not prepared for is transmission and engine internals and those look to be low risk of failure at this stage if I can handle the timing chain.

I am not excited about tearing about a dashboard to get to the guts of the AC system, but that will be quite a learning experience.

Or...more truthfully, my wife is not excited about me taking things apart.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was driving our e 320 2000 along the free way at about 85.Kids make trouble in the back my wife turns around to reach back.She knocks over a bottle of water in the cupholder I did not see that.The car locks the rear wheels ,rear end jumps up and down side to side I do get control of the car and as speed is slowed it eventually gets into limphome mode which is first gear.
I pull over and checks my pants.Two kids and a wife in the car if it had been in a curve we would have spun for sure.
She had spilled water into the pc board that sit below the gear shifter and controls the transmission.
Car was towed to MB after my failed on the road attemts to dry it out.
They replaced pc part and did a bit of checking I remember about $2000.00
I drove home it ran decent but 4 month later it needed a rebuild. Not done at MB but still $4000.00.How MB has not been suied for this I do not know since it has happend to others and is darned dangerous.On later models the pc board was moved up by the steering colum.
The point is a cup of water may cost $6000.00
Give your wife piece of mind buy inshurance and at least you did what was possible to avoid big bad stuff like before mentioned.
Best
Nobogie

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
I was driving our e 320 2000 along the free way at about 85.Kids make trouble in the back my wife turns around to reach back.She knocks over a bottle of water in the cupholder I did not see that.The car locks the rear wheels ,rear end jumps up and down side to side I do get control of the car and as speed is slowed it eventually gets into limphome mode which is first gear.
I pull over and checks my pants.Two kids and a wife in the car if it had been in a curve we would have spun for sure.
She had spilled water into the pc board that sit below the gear shifter and controls the transmission.
Car was towed to MB after my failed on the road attemts to dry it out.
They replaced pc part and did a bit of checking I remember about $2000.00
I drove home it ran decent but 4 month later it needed a rebuild. Not done at MB but still $4000.00.How MB has not been suied for this I do not know since it has happend to others and is darned dangerous.On later models the pc board was moved up by the steering colum.
The point is a cup of water may cost $6000.00
Give your wife piece of mind buy inshurance and at least you did what was possible to avoid big bad stuff like before mentioned.
Best
Nobogie
I drove my car into the lake the other day.... i blame bugatti for not moving the lake in time

·
Registered
2001 ML55
69 Posts
No, don't buy it. I did and the warrantee company went out of business. It was one of the largest, if not the largest warrantee company. The dealer said tough luck buddy. If it's a mercedes warrantee, check the fine print. It's a gamble, if you don't buy it you're already 3k ahead.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts