Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
The screw is spring-loaded and shouldn't be messed with unless you know what you're doing. And your post indicates that you don't know what you're doing.

Read cbc's link carefully before you do anything or you could cause big, expensive problems.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Yea, if you push down and cannot engage and turn the adjusting screw then replacing the tower would be necessary. It does not take much pressure and you will know when engaged with hex wrench. You shouldn't need to jam it in there.

If on the other hand you can engage and turn the adjusting screw then you would only want to turn it a small amount at a time - like 1/8 to 1/4 turn. And keep up with where it starts out so you can put it back, because it can lead to a no start condition.

Those two screws holding the tower on really are screws. They just need a little configuring to make them work; like cutting a line across the top with a dremel big enough to insert a flat head screwdriver.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for helping out. And just to make sure white smoke indicates that the engine is running to rich correct?

Has any one ever had a problem with there MB where it starts good and drives good but, after the drive it doesn't idle and dies and wont start for a while after words. Its just strange this car has been nothing but problems. I have already checked the CSPS(Crank Shaft Position Sensor) and the Idle Control Valve replaced the Ignition control module.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I have looked into the problem more. I checked the oil and all that and it was really thin it has a lot of gas in the oil is there any think I should take a look at?

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
I've never moved the adjustment so much as to disengage it, so I don't know how to correct it. I have read about people turning it until it runs as rich as what you

It's not advisable to turn the screw unless you have a duty cycle meter connected to the diagnostic plug on the driver side fender well pin 3 to ground. The engine must be warmed to operating temperature and adjust the screw for 50% duty cycle.

It is touchy and difficult to get right. The result you have seen is not a completely uncommon outcome.

Sorry I can't tell you how to correct it, but it sounds like there are posters here that have dealt with this before.

BTW, you really need to stop driving this car until the extreme rich condition is corrected. You are already seeing the dilluted oil and the catalytic converter will be ruined QUICK.

Best of luck with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts