Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1992 300e 220k miles daily driver
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again,

I wonder if the experts can tell me if theses wheels and tires will fit my stock 1998 ML 320. The measurements are as follows:

18 x 7.5 Enkei wheels
5 x 112 bolt pattern
Offset is et35
Tires are 235/40/zr18

Any assistance and/or suggestions are appreciated in advance.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
Just from being on and searching this Forum I know the following:

ALL mercedes have a bolt pattern of 5 x 112

Offsets are different for different wheels - For e.g. my factory ML55 Wheels have an offset of 52mm - Check your truck manual for the offset of the ML320.

Spacers (preferably hubcentric) can be used to make up the difference in offset.

For example IF the aftermarket wheels you want to purchase have offset of 35mm (as in this case) and your ML320 original wheels have an offset of 52mm you will need hubcentric spacers of at least 12mm to make it fit as stock.

porschenut is widely acknowledged as one of the members who has done this right - He usually helps if he is PM'd.

ps.

Madsleg is right about those size tyres - They are too narrow (skinny) and wrong height (they will leave a massive gap in the wheel well) - Madsleg knows a thing or two about that!:D

But most importantly, I'm not sure that those wheels are rated for the ML.

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
2,095 Posts
ET & spacers

For example IF the aftermarket wheels you want to purchase have offset of 35mm (as in this case) and your ML320 original wheels have an offset of 52mm you will need hubcentric spacers of at least 12mm to make it fit as stock.
I beleive you have this backwards, correct me anyone if I'm wrong, but here is my understanding of Offset and when spacers can help.

1 - Offsets with high positive numbers push the centerline of the rim width closer to the suspension, 54 is a high positive offset.

2 - Offsets with a lower positive number, (or negative number), push the centerline of the rim width closer to the outer fender, 35 is a lower positive offset.

So if your car is designed to fit wheels with a 54 ET rim, and you purchase et 35 rims, and mount them, they may possibly rub the outer fender, or in extreme cases actually stick outside the wheel well.

With this example, adding any spacers will only make the wheels stick out farther, the lower the positive number the more they move outwards. ET 35 and 12mm spacers = new et of 27

Spacers would work if you purchased rims with an et of say 66, then a 12mm spacer moves the rim outwards and effectivly gives you a new et of 54.

So spacers only work in one case, when the new rims are too far inside the wheel well. (You don't add the spacer width to the wheel et, you subtrack it from the wheel et)

A real life example is my CE, it takes et 40ish wheels, wheels in the low 30's, 20's and teens rub the outer fender or actually stick out of the wheel well.

Monoblock Wheels from a W126 are often et in the teens, and are usable on only a few other cars, they will never fit a car designed for et 40, 50 or 60, they will stick out like tires do on some of the jeeps and trucks you see running around.

On the other hand I could take one of your et 54 wheels, put a 12mm spacer on and effectively have a new et of 42, which would fit fine as long as they aren't too wide.

The width of the rims also add another dimention, as you widen the rims, in general the et required is now a lower positive number.

Finally, the use of spacers gets mixed reactions, some swear by them, others think they are unsafe, and if you do get wheels that require spacers, you will also need longer stud bolts.

Comments welcome..

·
Registered
05 ML500 SE
1,482 Posts
Zero Offset
The plane of the hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive Offset
The plane of the hub mounting surface is shifted from the centerline toward the front or outside of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front wheel drive cars and newer rear drive cars.

Negative Offset
The plane of the hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheel's centerline.

·
Registered
05 ML500 SE
1,482 Posts
P.S. Those are ricer wheels. I see those on civics, subies,and scions all the time. They are very light and perhaps not strong enough for truck use.

·
Registered
2001 ML430 Sport bought in very nice shape despite 156K miles in August 2010
540 Posts
^ +1 on the ricer factor. Are you planning to drift your truck??

·
Registered
1997 W210 E320, 1999 W163 ML430, 2002 W203 C240
761 Posts
Just from being on and searching this Forum I know the following:

ALL mercedes have a bolt pattern of 5 x 112

Offsets are different for different wheels - For e.g. my factory ML55 Wheels have an offset of 52mm - Check your truck manual for the offset of the ML320.

Spacers (preferably hubcentric) can be used to make up the difference in offset.

porschenut is widely acknowledged as one of the members who has done this right - He usually helps if he is PM'd.

ps.

Madsleg is right about those size tyres - They are too narrow (skinny) and wrong height (they will leave a massive gap in the wheel well) - Madsleg knows a thing or two about that!:D

But most importantly, I'm not sure that those wheels are rated for the ML.
Hate to correct you bro, your such a cool dude who has helped me on my truck.
Your actually incorrect about the offset bro.
If a wheel is 35mm offset and you add a spacer of 12mm, then you will get a 23mm offset. Shops have to shave the center mount of the wheels in order to increase the offset. I called a few shops while searching for new wheels for my ML, and they explained the entire process to me, this is after I insisted that if you add a spacer you increase the offset. lol

So far I have learned that 52 is the correct offset for our ML's but you can get away
with using a 40mm - 52mm . The center Bore (hole) also has to be sized to fit.
5x112 is the bolt pattern.
you can use smaller tires (hight) and be safe. But you will feel every bump and crack on the road. Im looking at getting 22"x10" wheels soon.

·
Registered
05 ML500 SE
1,482 Posts
@detane - 22's in LA are gonna murder u dawg! Btw how u like that rakaa album that dropped (I think its mad proper)?

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
Hate to correct you bro, your such a cool dude who has helped me on my truck.
Your actually incorrect about the offset bro.
If a wheel is 35mm offset and you add a spacer of 12mm, then you will get a 23mm offset. Shops have to shave the center mount of the wheels in order to increase the offset. I called a few shops while searching for new wheels for my ML, and they explained the entire process to me, this is after I insisted that if you add a spacer you increase the offset. lol

So far I have learned that 52 is the correct offset for our ML's but you can get away
with using a 40mm - 52mm . The center Bore (hole) also has to be sized to fit.
5x112 is the bolt pattern.
you can use smaller tires (hight) and be safe. But you will feel every bump and crack on the road. Im looking at getting 22"x10" wheels soon.
Many thanks for the correction Detane and ohollenbeck - One learns something new every day.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts