Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a recurring throttle body fault code, P1580/P1581. I recently sent them out to BBA-Remanufacturing who returned them without work saying their bench testing showed no faults with either of them. I just want to see some further evidence that it's not something else with my car causing a problem because I have some other accompanying faults that are confusing the matter.

Anyone close to San Diego with a 1996-99 S600 sedan or coupe? I'd give you the throttle body to put in (or come over and we can do it together). I can provide a new throttle body gasket. You drive the car for a while and see if you get the same codes popping up (and maybe an ESP fault and limp home mode). Or, if you trust me, let me drive the car a few days... The fault is intermittent and does not strand the car. If it goes into limp home mode the car is driveable, but the throttle plate is limited to something like 20% opening (so no power). The car can be restarted to clear the limp home mode and restore full operation.

If not close to San Diego, I'm willing to send it anywhere. Just one of the two throttles that appears to be the problem child.

Brett

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Have you contacted z?

Then again, he would cry seeing his 600 limp around town LOL :p

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
1. Using a Mercedes-Benz fully functional compatible scanner read/record/clear DTCs in all other control modules for engine including Diagnostic Module(DM), Fuel injection control module (LH-SFI), Distributor Ignition/Knock Sensor System (DI/KSS) module, Base Module (BM) and Transmission Control Module (ETS/EGS) if so equipped.

2. Using scan tool, view data stream for EA/CC/ISC system and observe Parameter Identification (PID) for closed throttle switch S29/3 which is the throttle switch located on the gas pedal. It should indicate 'ON' Key On Engine Running (KOER) at closed throttle. If the accelerator pedal is pushed slightly, the PID should change to 'Off'.

3. Inspect the throttle cable adjustment and throttle linkage on the driver's side throttle body to make sure that the throttle cable and kick-down cable are correctly adjusted and all return springs are in place and correctly connected.

Some of the cars that year had a Diagnostic Module (DM) check for faults in it too. It is possible that damaged wiring at the throttle body can short out an Electronic Accelerator control unit. Which you may see if you take it apart.

For the life of me I can not find the adjustment procedure. When I find it I will come back and dump it here.

Only other thing that comes to mind it the micro-switchs may be out of sync with each other (like WAY out).

But let me ponder.......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts