Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
89 300TE
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read all the rave reviews on the new E-Class. Airmatic suspension, keyless go entry, distronic etc.... Surely this is all good and would definately help in the event of an accident. But have any of u heard of the K.I.S.S saying? (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Im not sure about what other people think, but id rather keep my 1994 E280 than upgrade to a new E320 or something like that. Hey I know the new E-Class is sleeker, more efficient, and has way more features. The E280 is quick enough,safe enough and has enough features to keep me happy. Id like to see how all this complex electronics stand the test of time.

Id like to hear all your opinions.

Chris

1989 300TE
1994 E280

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
W124s are great cars, with an increadibel built quality, but they can not compare to lets ...

W124s are great cars, with an increadibel built quality, but they can not compare to lets say the W211 in terms of comfort and handling. Until you drove a newer Benz you don´t konw what you are missing, but when you have driven one, the W124 feels very old-fashion.

So my advice is to never drive a newer car, and you can keep zour W124 forever! [:)]

·
Registered
14 E350
2,046 Posts
That all depends.............

That all depends on the individual. Like for me, I love new technology! I gotta have the latest toys.
[:D] If you are content with your E280 I would keep it. Main thing is you're the one that's happy. [:)]

·
Registered
89 300TE
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well yeh I am happy with it. Its what I can afford. If I had more money I would buy myself...

Well yeh I am happy with it. Its what I can afford. If I had more money I would buy myself a E55 AMG or something like that. I guess you have to do with what you got. What im trying to get at doesnt have anything to do with money. Just would you keep your car? The reason I am keeping the E280, is because its in mint condition. Ive had it only 3 months and it only has 103000 kms. The paint has a few swirls and dings in it,but everything else is immaculate. I know that there are a million and one W124 E-Class out there, but I havent seen many like mine and to me its special.

Chris

1989 300TE
1994 E280

·
Registered
17 Posts
Keep your car or cars then, buy the car of today tomorrow.

Keep your car or cars then, buy the car of today tomorrow.

·
Registered
350SLC, 500SLC, 300TE, 190E2.3 Sportline
690 Posts
New vs Old

Last week I had a 24 hour test drive of a new E500 Avantgarde, with options including AMG 18" wheels, dual glass sunroof with solar panels, 4 zone climate control etc, during which time I covered about 350km over varying road and traffic conditions. The verdict? Nice steering feel with superb handling although not quite a perfect ride. Strong performance from a magnificent sounding engine that was quiet except for those times when you enjoy hearing it. Impressively low fuel consumption for the weight and performance. Smooth transmission. Strong brakes although their feel and bite takes some getting used to. All in all, a lovely car.

However, getting out of it back into my ancient 1973 350SLC had me thinking to myself that this old thing isn't bad for its age, it must have been really special when new. When I got home and into our 1990 300TE I felt that it is still a superb car even by today's standards. Despite the new E500 being a magnificent car, there are actually aspects of the old W124 I prefer. Would I swap the 300TE for the E500? Of course I would. I certainly cannot justify the difference in value between the two of them though. Had that new E500 only been an E240 I probably would have been left feeling almost disappointed. In two generations, yes there have been improvements, but only subtle ones. At the same time some nice things have been lost.

It will take something extra special to get me to part with the 300TE. As for the 350SLC, well it's a classic that still drives better than many modern cars. Decades ago, Mercedes-Benz were miles ahead of the opposition. Today they may be still ahead, but the gap is closing.

·
Registered
89 300TE
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gimme the old ones anyday

Wow, that must have been amazing. I go past a Mercedes dealership all the time. And I drool. I cant even afford the lowest E-Class. The new Mercedes are beautiful, but there is something about the old ones that arent there in the new ones. Take for example a early 70's SL or SLC. They are still fresh looking its hard to believe that some are nearly 30 years old. I would rather have an 500SL or SL500 over any E. Im not considering changing the E280 for a long time. If you are onto something good, why change? Its kinda outdated in a way but who cares? Im driving it. To me it still holds up well against alot of newer cars, and for an 8 year old car that must say something. Ive had alot of different Mercedes now. First one being a W114 1975 280 that we bought in 92'. That car drove so well for its age you wouldnt believe. As you say Greg, It must have been so special when it was new. Im with you when you say the gap is closing. Consumers are becoming ever so demanding.

Greg, how many kms do you have on your 300TE? Is it the updated model? Dads got a 300TE, and his mates are trying to get him to sell it because it needs ALOT of work done on it. Hes totally against them thank goodness. We have been quoted $5000 for an overhauled engine including labour. Its alot, but I think its worth it, im sure the car would do another 300,000kms.

·
Registered
350SLC, 500SLC, 300TE, 190E2.3 Sportline
690 Posts
Our old cars

Our 300TE (W124) is an update (1990) and has covered 170,000km. I also have a 1973 350SLC (W107). Others I or family members have owned or still own include 1961 190SL (R121), 1963 220SE manual (W111), 1965 220S (W111), 1969 250 floor shift manual (W114), 1972 280SE 3.5 (W108), 1980 300TD (W123), 1983 230E (W123), 1992 180E 5-speed manual (W201), 1993 E320 Coupe (W124) and 1996 E230 (W210). Yes, we are keen on our Mercs.

·
Always Remembered RIP
520 Posts

I replaced my old '82 230CE for a newer '96 C180 with dissapointment. The C-Class is a good car and will match, if not succeed the performance, handling and smoothness my old 230CE, but I just don't have any enthusiasm for it like I had with my old W123 coupe or any of my previous Mercs. It just doesn't seem to have any character! In fact I'm looking to exchange it again for a W124 E220CE.

·
Registered
89 300TE
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im with you there. I had owned a C200 for 5 years and it was a very good car. But one th...

Im with you there. I had owned a C200 for 5 years and it was a very good car. But one thing. It had no character. It was nothing like I ever had. Id rather have kept my 450SEL 6.9 rather than the C200....

Chris

300TE
E280

·
Registered
2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
2,180 Posts
Hello All
I go through this all the time...I have a old w123 sedan that I love...I love its older/cleaner and more to the point interior, I love the square box exterior, ease of vision, the flavor of a world gone by with care and craft in the build quality (although Buffalo, NY winters took its toll on it before I owned it - but thats not its fault)I love its simple ease and its overall character and the fact that it drives amazing and smooth with over 300k on the chassis and body...Now that school is over my buddies are buying Corvette Z06, Used Viper, New Audis, and WRX...and I think of Used E55 or E-Class...But I always come back to old blue.
Case in point the other day my mom and I were at the air port and I Said "I really could see my self in that car..." she thought I was talking about a silver Honda Accord - But there was a silver E right next to it...I was like Oh Man,thats sad MB if the general public can not tell your car from a Honda.
-Jake
ps I only dream of what it was like new...that must of been something in 1980.

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 2006 E350 4-matic wagon
47 Posts
I've learned to appreciate the broad spectrum of MB lovers. Some feel that the cars should be kept OEM absolutely. Some think it's an outrage to race them. So it goes... Nonetheless, I have my preferences, which are akin to yours in some respects. I find some of the newest features a little over the top and more than I care to pay for, or can afford frankly. I also like the lines of the 93' through 95 300 series more than the newer models. I'm a wagon person and much prefer the 93'-95 look of the TE to the new styles. I do like the 95-97 S body style, and that more than the newest line (although that one's maturing...)

I won't even go there on the hatchback and M-class. I just don't get it and that's MY problem I know...

The best part of all this is no one really cares what we think[:)]

·
BenzWorld W124 Host
1993 300E 3.2L 24V
1,088 Posts
Personally, I have driven many a new BMW and Merc. Yes, all were great cars. But I am not very keen on gadgets. To me, not hearing the engine a bit at idle makes me sick. I love hearing that 24V I-6 hum at idle. It reminds me that it is still there. Granted there is price to pay, with mileage come were and tear, but the mechanical longevity of the W124 is execellent. When it comes time in about 6-10years for a new model car. I am going to try and hunt down a late 90s 740i Sport or 740iL with the Sport wheels. Granted it's a BMW, but I am not biased either way. I go with what I feel is the excellent model form the two German makers. Personally, my take on it is this, cars are losing their brute appeal for stylistic acheivements. To me, there are a few things I want at the touch of a few simple buttons. Acoustics, Climate, Cruise and seats. Other than that, you can keep the gadgets. A main reason I am not a fan of the i-Drive. Another thing, I like to have me needed gauges. Water Temp, Oil Pressure, Tachometer, and Speedometer. I also do not like havine a digital speedometer or tachometer. I like my needles, I like my painted on numbers. That's just my take. THe body and the engine needs to hace more character than technology, refinement, or enthusiam. As one of my old friends says, when something becomes so refined, so soft, luxurious and so stealthy, it simple becomes....boring.

-Tubs

·
Registered
03' C320 4Matic SS
670 Posts
Yes!!! even tho i only have one car but i am plannin on keepin this benz forever and i'll def go for another benz later on in life [:)]

Attachments

·
Where's my auto-leveling?
'09 ML350, '03 E320, '99 E320 4Matic, '98 C280
3,390 Posts
No question I would drive the new one, and I do.

I bought the 300 SDL when it was all that I could afford. Now that I have the ML, when I drive the 126 it seems so dated. I'm not saying that I don't like it anymore, it is a great car with classic lines but I just enjoy driving the ML.

·
Registered
1986 560SEL, 1973 Buick Riviera
367 Posts
Having driven my grandparent's '03 S600 (just basically around the court once or twice, moving it so I can park my 560 when my grandmother is over, etc.), if it drives like it does @ 10-15mph all the time, It'd take some serious getting used to. I'd still take it over the 560 (I can't argue with it- 362hp vs. 238... there is no arguing with that logic), but the car is no fun to drive at all. The steering feels TOTALLY disconnected. It's like I'm turning a wheel that's not attached to anything. It's a little bit TOO quiet inside for my liking, but it's not as bad as a Lexus LS.

The car just isolates the driver from the car itself way too much. My mom's Yukon XL Denali is the same way, as is my grandfather's range rover (which is the only one of the 3 that I've driven any distance; I've driven it from San Jose to Carmel and back, as well as on surface streets and stuff. One word: EEEEEEEEEWWWWWW. I don't know why people like SUVs. The thing is AWFUL.

G

·
0 Posts
I would most definitey accept a new car over my 92', because in my opinion the newer cars are more enjoyable to drive, and the new accesories and better performance caps this off. Not to mention the shapes of the new cars that MB has on offer aregreat looking especially when tinkered with a little. I do love the classic mercs though, don't get me wrong but it's pretty easy to tell you right now that theses new age "gizmos" are not going to go away and if MB ever wanted to KISS the company would have failed before anyone even knew about it. But i also think it's what cars you have grown up and become attached to over the years, whatever it is just keep/get the car that you want. Happy New Year [:)]

·
Registered
280SLC, 350SLC (parts car)
28 Posts
No competition for me.

For me this is no competition. When I drive my 1978 280 SLC, I love it how there are very few around like it. When you do see another R107 SLC (or SL)on the road, there is without doubt a friendly wave and smile from the other driver. I don't see this sort of brotherhood with many new cars, especially MBs. It is like the people who can afford to buy new ones are either too busy or too arrogant to see anything outside their double glazed, air conditioned, climate controlled, elctric fan cooled seated, and power-assisted everything isolation chamber. Give me a revvy Inline-6 you can feel, with manual wind down windows (remember them?..) any day. New cars have become an insult to anyone who wants to challenge themselves behind the wheel. Keep your traction control and keep your ABS, I want to drift my 2 ton Panzerwagen 'round the corners with a huge smile on my face and challenge my skills to stop the beast without the help of a supercomputer worth of electronics. Not very responsible, I know - but a hell of a lot of fun!

G

·
0 Posts
Hi all.

Here is my take on this.

Eventhough a brand new car will run
smoother,softer and has more do-da gadgets,
The older(pre w124)are better build and
have appeal.

All these little gadgets tend to break
at the least convenient and worst moment,
and in most instances will leave you
stranded on the side of the road.

Not to mention that you have to take the
car to the dealer(stealer)to have it fixed,
because all this technology can only be
fixed by technicians with "special tools"
and hopefully you have good healt insurance
because you'll have a heart attack when
you get the bill.

For some this is not a problem,for
others it is.
Not everyone can just wip-out their CC
and just charge $2K-$3K for repairs or
$500 for regular maintenance.

The older ones on the other hand you
could fix with some steel wire or some
other junk you had in the trunk and would
get you home.

Most of these gadgets are conveniences
that make our lives easier.
But make us lazy,ignorent and complacent,
and take the common sence out of driving.

(I'm on the road all day and I see some
very stupid and ignorant people that not
only endanger themselves but others too.
And when reminded of their stupidity or
after having a close call,they,have the
audacity to yell,scream and blame the
person that they almost killed).

Give me the simplicity of the older cars
but i would upgrade the ride feel to be
tighter,the brakes to be better and since
I like diesel the gasmileage is already
great so that doesn't need improvement.
And the money I save,I can spend on parts
and rust repair that I'll do myself.

But since this is a free country,
everyone is free to do or buy what they
want,desire or can afford.

Just my oppinion.

Louis.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I tell people all the time, the newest I'll buy at this point is a 91 (partial to 126's..). I ran a small MB shop for a while and working on the old cars was a pleasure and you could see where the engineers had thought their design out to make maintaining these cars a Real possibility.
Having worked on the newer C, E and S classes I did not find that to be the case. Never mind that So many of these newer cars have major issues.. I made a Fortune replacing wiring harnesses on early to late 90's MB's..!
I will also agree, these new cars although they are a pleasure to drive do not stir me the same way my older cars do. No soul in these newer models..:-/

Regards
Jonathan

1 - 20 of 33 Posts