Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Would anyone be interested in Console Cupholders??

2334 Views 23 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  frog1520
My Dad owns a Kitchen Cabinetry business and I have access to a $150000 CNC router (a large computerized router) that I could use to produce cup holder inserts for the center console of the W140.

I was just wondering if anyone would be interested in these. If there is sufficient interest, then I might consider making and selling some on eBay.

They would probably end up being a black lacquer finish, or clear finished oak or something. . .

I could even put the Mercedes TriStar into each one to make them look better [:)]

Let me know what you guys think. If I get enough responses then I will consider it. Thanks!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
See signature
60 Posts
Yeah, I'm definately interested. Where exactly would they fit? Cost? The mercedes logo wou...

Yeah, I'm definately interested. Where exactly would they fit? Cost? The mercedes logo would be very sweet.

· Registered
93 300SE, 07 BMW 328i Coupe, 01 GSX-R1000
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Yeah, I'm definately interested. Where exactly would they fit? Cost? The mercedes logo wou

Yeah, I'm definately interested. Where exactly would they fit? Cost? The mercedes logo would be very sweet.
Well, I was thinking about putting it in the top portion of the center console. But I believe that this is where the MB phone is in some models?

I haven't got the car yet, so I haven't really thought of a desgin. I am open for suggestions though. . . I was thinking of an insert that would either fill or partially fill the top portion of the center console. Maybe have two cupholders with the Benz Star in the center? Give me some suggestions if you like.

I'm not sure what the cost would be yet. I guess it depends on how complicated it is, and how much machine time it takes . . .

Regards,
Bryan

· Registered
See signature
60 Posts
I was figuring you'd put it there, but how would you shut the arm rest? Maybe look at atta...

I was figuring you'd put it there, but how would you shut the arm rest? Maybe look at attaching it the left side of the dash where that little 'pocket' is (on non-euro cars), or support it from the center console up towards the vents. Eh, just ideas. You'll have to get inside one and figure out where a white chocolate mocha would be easily accessible by the driver, and not do any permanent damage to the car (aka putting holes in the dash).

· Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: I was figuring you'd put it there, but how would you shut the arm rest? Maybe look at atta

I was figuring you'd put it there, but how would you shut the arm rest? Maybe look at attaching it the left side of the dash where that little 'pocket' is (on non-euro cars), or support it from the center console up towards the vents. Eh, just ideas. You'll have to get inside one and figure out where a white chocolate mocha would be easily accessible by the driver, and not do any permanent damage to the car (aka putting holes in the dash.
I will take a look at it when I get the car this week-end. I will try and find the best place possible. Like you, I don't want to put any holes in the car!

Right now, there isn't really much option in the type of cupholders that we buy for this car. Personally, I think that those door cupholders that screw into the door look like crap.

If I could design the cupholder (the hard part), then mass-producing more should not be much of a problem . . .

· Registered
W140 S class, E31 850Ci, XC90 Exec AWD geartronic
444 Posts
Re: Re: I was figuring you'd put it there, but how would you shut the arm rest? Maybe look at

I will take a look at it when I get the car this week-end.
you'll be all smiles when she arrives[:D][:D]

By the way, why are you fitting a cup holder, there is a can sized prefectly good one in the glove box. Beside, is it really right to eat and drink in your S-class? (its illegal to consume whilst driving in the UK, though we have all done at some point[:D] )

· Registered
W140 S class, E31 850Ci, XC90 Exec AWD geartronic
444 Posts
Re: Re: I was figuring you'd put it there, but how would you shut the arm rest? Maybe look at

I will take a look at it when I get the car this week-end.
you'll be all smiles when she arrives[:D][:D]

By the way, why are you fitting a cup holder, there is a can sized prefectly good one in the glove box. Beside, is it really right to eat and drink in your S-class?

· Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,885 Posts
cup holder

I entertained the idea of using a pice of dark plexi, which would fit half way up on stand offs. It could be a press fit. Two holes, btw. the cup holder in the glove box is a joke. The cell phones that were factory installed a were analog and are obsolete now. The bin in the dash comes in handy for sunglasses and such!

· Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: cup holder

I entertained the idea of using a pice of dark plexi, which would fit half way up on stand offs. It could be a press fit. Two holes, btw. the cup holder in the glove box is a joke. The cell phones that were factory installed a were analog and are obsolete now. The bin in the dash comes in handy for sunglasses and such!
The CNC router can cut plexiglass as well . . . We FINALLY get the Benz tomorrow, so I can have a look at it, and try and decide on a design.

Regards,
Bryan

· Registered
Current: '14 S550, '99 S500, '10 Prius; Previous: '93 400SEL, '98 Corolla
105 Posts
My Dad owns a Kitchen Cabinetry business and I have access to a $150000 CNC router (a large computerized router) that I could use to produce cup holder inserts for the center console of the W140.

I was just wondering if anyone would be interested in these. If there is sufficient interest, then I might consider making and selling some on eBay.

They would probably end up being a black lacquer finish, or clear finished oak or something. . .

I could even put the Mercedes TriStar into each one to make them look better [:)]

Let me know what you guys think. If I get enough responses then I will consider it. Thanks!
I would be interested in a cupholder that does not require drilling holes. I would think the center console cupholder would likely be good.

· Registered
86 560SEL
1,334 Posts
Well, I would like one but I am afriad there is no room for one. My new phone kit is in w...

Well, I would like one but I am afriad there is no room for one. My new phone kit is in where the old phone was. Oh well, if I had to get something for my wife or kid, I just sit the cup into the storage area and close the slide cover to keep it in place. However, you have a great idea. Go for it.

· Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Well, I would like one but I am afriad there is no room for one. My new phone kit is in w

Well, I would like one but I am afriad there is no room for one. My new phone kit is in where the old phone was. Oh well, if I had to get something for my wife or kid, I just sit the cup into the storage area and close the slide cover to keep it in place. However, you have a great idea. Go for it.
Well, since our car got wrecked (again), this project is going to have to be put on hold for a few weeks . . . I will let everyone know when I start it . . .

Regards,
Bryan

· Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,231 Posts
So you want to put a MDF cup holder into your BENZ..
If MB had thought it was needed they would have put one there already....just a thought but why would you want to have a cup of fluid hot or cold where it could do the most damage,right above the center switch console.. I will not allow any food or drink to be consumed in my car,so common and it cuts right down on the cleasning....

· Registered
211 Posts
like these genuine ones:-

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7876

The UK part number was B 669 201 00. 15 UK pounds - 25? US dollars

· Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I am not doing this project anymore as I no longer have access to the CNC router (my Dad sold the company).

You guys bring up some valid points about protecting the switches etc. in the center console . . . good o protect them.

I thought the reason that MB doesn't have cup holders is because it is illegal to drink anything while driving in Germany? Or is this an old wive's tale?

But still, a cupholder SOMEWHERE would be nice. I don't drink or eat while driving, but some people do enjoy a cup of coffee. And why should you sacrifice your comfort of drinking a cup of coffee to keep your Benz clean? It is a comfort machine . . . that is what it is designed for . . . If you have the money to buy a W140 when it was new, then IMHO you have the money to pay someone else to keep it sparkling clean when you spill your coffee on the luxurious leather seats [:p]

Regards,
Bryan

· Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
But that would be like my Mom and the nice China set she has . . . how useless are those stupid dishes if you never use them?

Or, it is like my Grandma and her "living" room that noone is allowed in . . . not much "living" going on there.

Or that Everybody Loves Raymond episode where they pull the plastic protective covering off of Marie's couch . . . that show cracks me up [:p]

Personally, I am a clean freak too, but I don't mind if people eat or drink in my car (non-alcoholic of course [:p]). I just trust that they won't spill, and so far, noone has. My sister-in-law makes people take their shows off before people get into her new Civic . . . now that is just taking it a little too far [:p]

Regards,
Bryan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.