Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300SD
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like we're going to get another 617 in the family, this time a w123 body. I've been telling my dad to do this since day 2 of owning mine, he's finally come to his senses. At any rate, I wanted to run this by you guys and see what kind of price he should be looking for. Unfortunately I'm in Tallahassee and can't check it out myself.

It's an '85 300d, same color as my w126 with very nice looking paint (a little faded around the fuel door). He didn't do the dancing oil cap test, but after priming the glow plugs he barely tapped the ignition and it fired right to life, so it seems like it has good compression. The car has was sitting in a car port and has window tint. It's also supposedly a one owner.

Now the cons. There's a small crack in the dashboard. Small rust bubble below the rear window. Already has a trailer hitch. 175k on the clock, and it's been for sale forever. 1985, MERCEDES BENZ, 300D

The guy is asking 5k. It seems a little steep to me. I told my dad that if the interior was absolutely immaculate and the zebrano was rich and dark it would probably be worth 4k. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
'87 300D
1,394 Posts
way over priced.

I'd say 3k at most...

Those bundts appear to be normal 14" bundts. Plus its not grey, it appears to be a light shade of blue, not sure on the color code but I want to guess seafoam green

·
Registered
'77 6.9, 74 240D, 96 Ram 5.9L Cummins
2,654 Posts
I doubt it.....if they owned it 22 years they KNOW it doesn't get 30mpg......it doesn't add up.

·
Registered
77 240d, 02 Ford F250 V10 (7mpg), 05 GMC Denali (The Baby Hauler), 2000 BMW 323CI (was my Bros car)
817 Posts
I would say around $3k like the other guys. The engine starting right up doesn't mean you have good compression. My 240 starts up great and its compression is horrible. The cap dances like Fred Astaire. And another thing that bothers me is the add states its in perfect condition. So whats up with the faded gas door and the rust under the window, what else is there that you can't see?

·
Premium Member
1998 ML320; 2003 ML500
35 Posts
It looks like we're going to get another 617 in the family, this time a w123 body. I've been telling my dad to do this since day 2 of owning mine, he's finally come to his senses. At any rate, I wanted to run this by you guys and see what kind of price he should be looking for. Unfortunately I'm in Tallahassee and can't check it out myself.

It's an '85 300d, same color as my w126 with very nice looking paint (a little faded around the fuel door). He didn't do the dancing oil cap test, but after priming the glow plugs he barely tapped the ignition and it fired right to life, so it seems like it has good compression. The car has was sitting in a car port and has window tint. It's also supposedly a one owner.

Now the cons. There's a small crack in the dashboard. Small rust bubble below the rear window. Already has a trailer hitch. 175k on the clock, and it's been for sale forever. 1985, MERCEDES BENZ, 300D

The guy is asking 5k. It seems a little steep to me. I told my dad that if the interior was absolutely immaculate and the zebrano was rich and dark it would probably be worth 4k. What do you guys think?
The mileage is pretty decent, but you've got a $3K car there. (I know...I paid $4K for my 82 300CD, three weeks ago, but it has a new trans, radiator, and battery, and NO BODY PROBLEMS.)

·
Registered
'77 6.9, 74 240D, 96 Ram 5.9L Cummins
2,654 Posts
On a related topic, are 14" bundt's worth anything at all? I received a set for free.
I have seen them sold for $100 a set. Compared to the 15" which are about $700-1000 a set.

At 10 feet, a Picasso copy looks the same as the original but which one would you want....:D

·
Registered
42 Posts

Things are worth whatever someone will pay for them. The trailer hitch pulls 2K off the top. This car is due for a lot of expensive maintenance items if they haven't been done, axles, timing chain, injectors, cooling system and oh yes that 2 to 4 K tranny replacement. $2000 to $2500 max. Sell the wheels on ebay to pay for the repairs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts