Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

361 - 380 of 402 Posts

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,670 Posts
Yeah the particular brand of led you get makes a huge difference . Incandescent and fluorescent are easier to just buy whatever at the local store and get a good product , for led it’s almost required to buy online at amazon as local store pricing is much higher and there’s no telling what quality the amazon sellers will actually ship out

·
W220 Moderator
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #362
/\ /\ /\

Now that does make sense, purely because I live in the middle of nowhere, and even the big stores in Inverness, (120 mile round trip), have a very limited, and IMHO very expensive range of LED Tubes in 5ft size, so I was forced to buy via EBay, and the ones I got were definitely [email protected] !!

Had I lived in Glasgow or London I could likely have found a supplier who outfits offices and other premises and perhaps got better quality at a better price ................

Dinosaur here is happy with what he's got and what he knows.
Fluorescents are noted for showing up even tiny issues in Vehicle Paintwork, and thus they are very good for using when actually Painting a Vehicle .............. Something you can "see" under Fluorescent you cannot necessarily see in Daylight outdoors ;)

My Workshop, and the Garage has decent Heating, and I can buy quality Fluorescents at good prices fairly locally, I do not have issues with Ballasts, perhaps annually I'll have to change 2 Tubes and 2 Starters out of the 24 Tubes in main Workshop / Extension !!

I always have a rack of Tubes and Starters "in stock" as I buy them in Bulk, usually packs of 10, when I get down to 3 or 4 I buy another pack, In 10 years of having this Workshop, 3 years with the Extension (in which I haven't changed a single Tube yet) I have bought 2 packs still have 8 in stock right now !! My Workshop and Extension lighting is on roughly 12 hours per day 7 days a week .........................

I'm happy, jobs a good 'un ;)

·
Registered
2005 S600
519 Posts
Huge difference between good LED and junk LED. That’s the market shift (here, anyway) that’s allowed me to recommend LED now, when they were junk recently.

Completely appreciate the need for quality light, as a woodworker, the ability to finish is critically dependent on light. Both spectrum and color. Quite a few articles on shop lighting in the pages of “Fine Woodworking” magazine, to which I’ve subscribed for decades.

Particularly if you’re going to paint in this shed/extension, you need GOOD light. Color, spectrum, level, etc.

Get the best that you can.

I’m just sorry that you can’t get quality LED. They last longer, and have no ballast/maintenance issues, in addition to using a bit less electricity.

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
4,477 Posts
Hi Guys,

I did try them last year in my main Workshop all along one wall, I was installing extra lighting to do Paintwork ............... Absolute TOSH !!

Try catching the gleam on Clear Coat with them, if you can't do that you end up with Runs or Dry looking Paintwork which then is a PITA to remedy and costs time and money :(

Maybe you guys in USA have better brands available, almost all LED stuff over here is Chinesium junk, hell out of 8 LED Tubes last year 2 were dud's and then I had all the hassle and stupidity of dealing with "Hop Sing Lotus Flower" the vendor :(

Remember, I'm going to be outfitting the Double Garage as a decent Paint Booth and move all the paintwork gear etc in there, prep in Mech Workshop, paint in Garage / Booth, so I want to know I got the light I personally like ;)
I've already bought them now, they are here, and last year I binned the four 5ft Double LED junk that I tried in Workshop after a matter of weeks :D

My Electricity Bill for the Workshop Meter (same supply as Garage is now fed from), is fully Tax Deductible so a few pence per day extra is of no consequence at all.
That's exactly the problem. Our LED's over here aren't Chinesium; they're actually pretty darn good. In the wife's house's garage, two T12 fluorescent tubes went Tango Uniform. Replaced 'em with Philips LED tubes, and they're terrific. Drop-in replacement for the fluorescent tubes. I have Philips LED tubes in my workshop in the back yard as well, and be it cold or warm, they always work and they're very bright.

That said, there's nothing wrong with using fluorescent tubes, if your LED's over there are the accursed Chinesium. They just take a moment to come to full brightness, but they do a good job, too.

·
W220 Moderator
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #365
Hi,

A small update,

This is not going well .............

Some idiot at the Timber Merchants supplied me the wrong size Ply Sheets for the roof, 1200 x 2400 instead of the 1220 x 2440 that I asked for, also I think the darned stuff was made in China junk :(

I did not realise this until Saturday when I went to put it up, at which point I realised that with my 610 Truss Centres, by the time I got to half way I would not meet the trusses with the sheets, the only way to get it up there was to leave a 12mm gap in the middle of each truss, until the last sheet, so I end up with 2 trusses with these gaps, and had to go to Broadford Monday to get some 12mm thick Wood and rip it down to fill the gaps, couldn't get the felt on Saturday, which I would have done had I had the correct Ply size :(

The upshot is on Saturday night it rained for the night, plus whole of Sunday and Monday, I managed to fill the gaps Monday, getting soaked in the process, but the ply was starting to warp badly ..................

I finally got a dry spell yesterday, and managed to get more dwangs in under the ply on the front section (8 ply Sheets total), and working into the darkness last night I got the whole of that Felted, and over the Ridge with a temporary piece of felt, so hopefully I've saved those 8 sheets, looks pretty good, and I'm hoping it should totally dry out through the underside of the sheets.

There are 4 sheets on the shorter back section, one of which is badly de laminating, so I may have to replace that one gonna try flipping it over and adding dwangs first later today if the rain holds off !!

The other thing that happened was one of the Felt rolls came up slightly short, so I only got one 5m Run out of it, got to do the 50 mile trek to Broadford later to get another felt roll :cry:
This weather is really coming in bad now, I have absolutely got to get this roof finished ASAP, and to cap it all some "New" Customer had his heap of a 2012 Transit Connect in here yesterday to diagnose no Right Indicators, so I spent the initial "Diagnostic Hour" on it, which is what was arranged with this guy, but I found it has a dead short on the Bulb Wiring, somewhere in a Van which is so full of tools and other junk when I opened a back door it all started to fall out !!

He was away all day, and when I finally got hold of him last night he started getting all "aggro" about how he thought his Van would be fixed, he's an incomer to this area ..................
He has already been to a load of other Garages who wanted to change Body Module etc and didn't have a clue :(
So I politely told him I cannot put a time frame on it, I simply have to work on it to find the Wiring Short, and so need it clearing out first in order to strip out Panelling / Trim etc !!

I told him to come in this morning and I'll explain further.

I think unless his attitude has changed over night, he will get the "listen up good speech", and told "You owe me nothing, go forth and multiply to the Ford Dealership in Inverness" !!

Never had to do it yet, but I do pick and choose my Customers when I get the odd one who I think will be a "rucker" which I think this guy could well be ................
Thankfully my other customers are all very very good, indeed I have to chase some of them to actually come and get their Cars because I need the space lol

So hope I can get the rest of this roof Felted ASAP, because the Snow is on it's way now too .................

Update soon ;)

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
2005 S600
519 Posts
Geez that’s frustrating....

Different plywood sizes? What ridiculous clown thought that up?

You’ve got to change your stud/joist centers based on plywood size variation?

Ridicule our measurement system all you like, we got it from you.

Plywood here is 4 by 8. Which yields 48x96. 16 on center. All day long. No other sizes to worry about, though some sheathing is available in 4 by 12, but the stud spacing is unaffected. Simple. Effective.

You got your system from the French, which explains a lot...

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
4,477 Posts
^^ Hahahaha!

Yeah, we use 4ft by 8ft here, standard, everywhere in the United States, for plywood and OSB. For interiors, drywall/sheetrock/gypsumboard comes in 4'x8', 4'x10', and 4'x12'. All of these sizes work with 12" or 24" stud spacing, and the 4'x8' and 4'x12' (the most popular sizes) work with 16" stud spacing as well.

Dave, sorry to hear about that crazy sizing that this vendor sent you. May well be Chinesium. Are those sizes that you listed in centimetres or inches? If it's inches, that'd be over 100 feet on the short side and almost 200 feet on the long side. If it's centimetres, then it'd be 40 feet by 80 feet. In either case, that's awfully big...!

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,670 Posts
^^ Hahahaha!

Yeah, we use 4ft by 8ft here, standard, everywhere in the United States, for plywood and OSB. For interiors, drywall/sheetrock/gypsumboard comes in 4'x8', 4'x10', and 4'x12'. All of these sizes work with 12" or 24" stud spacing, and the 4'x8' and 4'x12' (the most popular sizes) work with 16" stud spacing as well.

Dave, sorry to hear about that crazy sizing that this vendor sent you. May well be Chinesium. Are those sizes that you listed in centimetres or inches? If it's inches, that'd be over 100 feet on the short side and almost 200 feet on the long side. If it's centimetres, then it'd be 40 feet by 80 feet. In either case, that's awfully big...!
It’s millimeters

·
W220 Moderator
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #370 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

Yes mm ,

Every other Builders Merchant sells 1220 x 2440, I changed Builders Merchant's because the other, our local one, is a lot dearer ......................

We all know I should know better, every time I try and save money it costs me more in time and money :rolleyes:

Despite what the local Builders say, I also don't think the Wood is even as good, I'd say it is worse quality !!

The upshot was that on a 50mm wide at 610mm centres Stud, and as they were running 1220 width side across the Studs, (total of 4600 across plus 50mm overhang each side), I had to leave a gap of 10mm at the first, 3rd and 5th studs, then couldn't Felt until Monday when I got some 12mm thick wood to rip and fill the Gaps !!

The 7th out of 9 total Truss Studs was ok to butt them up as the final one was under the 610 spacing of all the others.
Had this been a wider roof I would not have attempted it, but that would have meant a week delay, as this outfit only deliver here on a Thursday :mad:

I will be using my local "Jewsons" for the rest of this build and any future stuff, as I always have done !!

Front half appears to be drying and settling down now, as that is felted now, hoping it will be dry Today, so I can get the smaller rear section of Roof fitted with additional Dwangs to straighten it out and support it better and final Felted, once I get to that stage it will be a whole lot easier.

I'm going to use the rest of the Poly Sheet around the sides now and then I can clad the outside almost "at my leisure" Cars can go inside, hopefully before the Snow hits ;)

I am praying that the weather stays dry and Snow free until after the weekend, so I will not be on here much during the daylight hours, roughly 9am to 4:30 pm GMT right now, but getting shorter by the day :(
The Snow is rapidly creeping down the Mountains now with very hard frosts each morning :eek:

I had to keep stopping yesterday as I was nearing "Frostbite Fingers", even with light Gloves on, and trying to bash in Felt Tacks with thicker Gloves is almost impossible, very slow process :cry:

Tho top Ridge Felt is just temporary with a few Tacks to stop overnight Rainwater getting down the Front half ;)

The Bottom 300mm or so has got to be cut off the Rear Section sheets today, and then add the Dwangs to level 'em up, before hopefully firing on the rest of the Felt and Capping the Ridge correctly

Lets see what Today either chucks at me or gifts me ;)

Cheers for now, Dave

·
W220 Moderator
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #372
LOL @doni01 ...........

Hi Sonny,

The Pic of the Cars was just to show the Frost at 8am this morning, still pretty dark too ;)

They're Genuine AMG 18" Staggered Rims, 275 Rear Tyres, 245 Fronts, I re furbished them, Satin Black behind, Gun Metal Face with "Diamond Cut" Rim Edges and then the proper Self Etch Alloy Wheel Clear Coat, took me bloomin' ages lol, but yeah I think it was worth the effort ;)

They are in my S500's Resurrection Thread from post # 467 here :-

Weather is good, sun shining, rear Dwangs done, Ply Cut Back, gotta little more woodwork then might get a couple runs of Felt up the back later if not dark by then, just having a late lunch right now.

If I get a good day tomorrow I might well have the Roof completely finished ;)

·
Registered
S500 4Matic 2005
885 Posts
LOL @doni01 ...........

Hi Sonny,

The Pic of the Cars was just to show the Frost at 8am this morning, still pretty dark too ;)

They're Genuine AMG 18" Staggered Rims, 275 Rear Tyres, 245 Fronts, I re furbished them, Satin Black behind, Gun Metal Face with "Diamond Cut" Rim Edges and then the proper Self Etch Alloy Wheel Clear Coat, took me bloomin' ages lol, but yeah I think it was worth the effort ;)
Oh yeah I remember that thread as I was drooling all over my phone looking at the pics :cautious:

But in all seriousness I had not seen them on the car. It is different seeing them as a finished product and completely different installed. They really look amazing!!

Also great work on your build even with the issues that you are facing along the way!!

My question is, do you ever stop working?? :)

·
W220 Moderator
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #374
My question is, do you ever stop working??
Yes usually around 6:30 pm weekdays a bit earlier if I can Friday Sat and Sun, and usually in Workshop for 7 am Mon to Friday, around 9 am Sat and Sun, unless we go out anywhere for a day, but that is rare these days due to Mels Mum can't be left and stubbornly refuses to have carers in, so Mel can't get out / away.

Anyways, Stress is now removed .....................

The Roof is now all Felted, just still got the temporary Ridge Cap Sheet on, if it's a nice day again tomorrow I will get that finished and add some more Felt nails to the rear section, it only has bare minimum in it right now, ran out of daylight about 4:45 today, then cleared up in the Dark ......................

The good news is the darned thing is Waterproof now, just needs some finishing touches, (mainly a load more Tacks), to stop High Wind damage, hopefully we won't be having a hefty Storm in the next day or so.

Tomorrows job is to get the last Dwangs done across the Ridge before putting the final Felt Cap Sheet over that, and bashing in more Tacks, then the Roof will be totally finished :)

It is surprising how well the wet Ply has dried out and recovered with the Sun on it today, it is pretty straight and very solid now I've added the Dwangs to the lower ends :)

After tomorrow I will start getting Lighting and Sockets wired, hopefully have at least Lights this weekend, then I can be working in their after dark ...............

That is always the major milestone up here when building something ..............

My rule is once the Roof is water tight "Spark it up with the Electricity" ;)

If the Weather comes in real bad I'll just poly sheet the sides and get the Cars in there, can add the cladding to the sides a little at a time as weather permits, same with the Insulation and fitting it out inside :D

Pix in the Morning when it's light !!

Chow for now,

·
W220 Moderator
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #375 (Edited)
Here's the pix from yesterday, taken this morning ..............

This is the side away from the road, and the one that gets the most Wind / Rain Battering, so I have got the overhang well secured, the other side is sheltered by Trees and will be the last bit to be finished :-

This is the Rear, the 4 ply sheets trimmed off, Dwangs all cut and installed, really stiffens up the Ply and straightens out the bows from where it got wet :-

And the 2 runs of Felt to get under the temporary Ridge Cap Sheet so at least for now it is all watertight .............. 10:30 am and look at the Frost on that, I simply can't risk falling off the back end, there is a huge drop at the rear, and Tree Stumps etc etc, not even a soft landing :( :-

So I've just finished a Car job off this morning, Discs Pads and Caliper, I'll fit the Exhaust first thing tomorrow, guy is away and not back until Monday !!

Thing is I can't get started outside due to Daylight and Frost on Roof until around 11:30 - 12:30 anyway so todays target is to get the Dwangs cut and installed under the Ridge, bash in all the extra Felt Clout Nails and possibly finish the Ridge capping properly, if not will get that hopefully tomorrow, as I gotta go out for a couple hours after Breakfast, which is right now lol

Update later,

·
Registered
2003 S500
2,476 Posts
"...if it's a nice day again tomorrow..."

Here in Georgia, we would NOT consider seven hours of daylight, heavy frost at 10:00am, moderate wind and 8 deg C a "nice day", even in mid-November! Apparently global warming hasn't made it to your area yet...

Good on'yer, Mate!

·
W220 Moderator
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #377
Hi,

Update from Friday onwards .............

I didn't get get started Friday until around 14:30 due to various interruptions and also I had to make yet another trip to Builders Merchants so I only got 14 out of the final 16 Dwangs cut and installed under the Ridge, before darkness set in :( These are really straightening out the Ply nicely :)

Saturday I got the last 2 Ridge Dwangs and get all the final Felt Clouts bashed in, edges finished etc.

However I may have to rush off at any time, Mels 87 year old Mother was rushed in to Broadford Hospital around 4 am this morning (Saturday), after phoning us up at 3am with Chest pains .............

Mel went with her in the Ambulance, so I have to go get her when she rings me later at 8am Saturday Morning.

Mel's Mum picked up Saturday 2pm and back home now after the 3 am Drama, but to-ing and fro-ing to Broadford Hospital, (60 mile round trip), twice took it's toll and I only got a couple hours actual work done yesterday, plus I swept out and tidied the base, then did a trial run of fitting both the Cars in through the 2600mm Door aperture !!

Boy am I glad I didn't order that 2600mm Electric Roller Shutter Door or I'd have been :cry:

I did get them both in with a lot of messing around, but it is so so tight that I'd definitely scrape one on the posts or the other Car sooner or later :(

Not really that big a deal to widen the Aperture by removing the Right Section and making it 3600mm, I will go as large as I can get in there.

It will probably mean using an up and over door or 2 Barn Doors rather than a Roller Shutter, as all the Rollers I can find get significantly dearer after 2600mm wide, but better to find out now rather than later lol

So here's pix at 4 pm last night, it was an early Chinese then Bed, we were both asleep by 8:30 pm and woken by the Cats at 8 this morning 😁

All Dwangs finished either side of the Ridge to support the top edges of the ply ....

The initial Ridge Cap Sheet done, and the overhang all nailed down and trimmed :) There will be one more full 1m wide Cap Sheet over the top of the Ridge, but the first one is fully nailed down, so the Roof is now Wind and Waterproof, hell the final Cap Sheet could wait until Spring if needs be it is only a "Belt & Braces" anyway ....

This is how close I like to Nail 'em with our winds up here, stops the Winds getting under the sheets and lifting before they've had a hot sunny spell to stick 'em down ;) ....

All done, just got the overhang on the North Elevation (Road Side) to Nail and Trim today, but that is so sheltered by the trees it won't be a biggie if it Rains etc :) ....

Coming up soon ...............

I have decided I'm going to Poly Sheet the sides to keep the weather out once the Lights are up, may even do the North Side and East Rear first, leaving the South until the Lights are done so I can use the Daylight through the South Side and Door Aperture 😁

By then I will have a fully wired up and weatherproof Car Port, my Cars can be tucked away safely and pressure will be off :)

Cheers for now, Dave

·
W220 Moderator
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #379
Mate it's not me, it's the elder generation of Mel's disjointed family, her and I haven't had a Holiday in the last 12 years, and we can't go out for a meal without having to get someone to sit with her Mum, who is now the only one left. The old girl flatly refuses to have a carer come in twice a day, despite the excellent, (and free), help that is available up here !!

She knows she can pull Mel's chain.

I swear to you she'll still be sat in that Log Cabin watching War films on the TV when Mel and I turn our toes up !!

From 2012 to 2017 we were on the road for 650 miles down to Kent almost weekly, because one of them had some disaster or another, Mel is just too easy going, I'd have told them where to go long time ago :(
After all said and done, getting away from them all was Mel's main reason for wanting to move up here way back when, I just wanted outta the "Rat Race" of SE England lol ;)

Fair enough if it's a genuine Emergency and someone's on their death bed, but the doctors at the Hospital said the old girl is fit as a flea, just a mild chest infection, did a load of tests, gave her some antibiotics and sent her home within a few hours !!

Lot's of work in the Workshop this week, but I'll be getting a few hrs a day on the Garage Project each day too ;)

Should be on Sparky duties by tomorrow :)

Chow for now, update soon ;)

·
W220 Moderator
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #380
Mega update incoming soon .......................

As usual I made plan of action above and then decided to do the exact opposite 😁

361 - 380 of 402 Posts