Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

341 - 360 of 402 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SL65 plus 13 other non MB toys
690 Posts
Dave, all that talk about a new cool tool and no link? Come on! I'm a tool junkie! My wife already knows what to put on my head stone. "I want one". She knows me well. :grin

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,396 Posts
Now that I have your business number, I can call you and leave prank voicemails....like "Is your car running? Go get it, it's about to get away!" or some bullshit like that.

Also, does that TPMS work on MB or BMW? That's what I'd like to know.

·
W220 Moderator
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #344
Hi,

LOL Those Trans Atlantic phone calls would cost you a bunch, much cheaper to just give me some abuse on here :big laugh: ................... Oh, wait .................. :wink

Yes BMW and MB TPMS, amongst many others. It's a great little machine, what I like is it will assign Pattern Sensors to Factory TPMS System, which the Dealer Kit will not ;)

Cheers Dave

·
W220 Moderator
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #345 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

OK, time for another little "Dave's Workshop ditty" ...................

This one is more aimed at the members who's mates down the pub / on you tube keep telling them to disconnect the Battery to reset Faults etc etc .......................

So what's "the Old Bear" doing in the pic below ????????????????

No, I'm not jump starting this fully optioned 2010 E Class, I am Changing the Battery, but proving that I practice what I preach, and am using the Jump Leads and spare Battery to keep the Car alive whilst it's own Battery is being changed !!

See I won't even disconnect a Car from its from 12V Supply even when I have to change its Battery :grin

Notice that I don't connect the slave to the Battery Terminals but rather hook to a good earth on Engine, (lifting eye), and find a decent sized Positive away from the Battery too, in this case the jump start point.
The reason for that is it is all too easy to have a Jump Lead Croc pop off whilst moving the Terminals around and lifting out the Battery :wink

And before some smart ass suggests plugging a Chinesium "Memory Saver" into the Ciggy Lighter, just remember that the lighter is disconnected with Ignition Off, and also if you do that and the Car wakes whilst you are disconnecting it's battery, even if the cig lighter was live with key out, you will get a hefty current draw and likely blow a fuse, maybe even back feed a module somewhere :rolleyes:

W220 doesn't have a jump start point, I would pull back the Carpet and Footrest then hook the slaves +ve to the big nut on the footwell pre fuses ;)

HTH,

Attachments

·
W220 Moderator
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
Hi,

Back to the Workshop Thread again :grin
@Deplore knows what I'm up to, but it's all hush hush and top secret :devil

A new bit of kit arrived today, KTag Programmer, I've already built a Windows 7 D630 especially to use with it, gonna have to buy another job lot box full of Dells the way I'm getting through them, I've only got 2 x D630 and 1 x (Broken video) D830 left :frown

Here ya go piccies:-

Attachments

·
W220 Moderator
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #347
An SDS Nugget

Hi Fellas and felleresses .........................

OK, so lets see how many find my Workshop thread useful and actually read this, because if you have SDS and want to translate Developer Mode from German to ze Ingleesh did you know that your SDS will do this for you ..................

I didn't until yesterday :grin

Please just add a like if you've seen this :wink

I'll let you work out how to do it for yourselves, the clue is in the left hand margins on both pics, first pic, is in Version Codings, second and third pic is Developer Mode :devil

I now have 'em all printed next to each other :grin

Attachments

·
W220 Moderator
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #349
Hi,

I've been busy >:D ............

6m x 4.8m Double Garage for my W220 and R170 .................

It's having a 2600mm wide x 2135mm Drive under height Electric Roller Shutter Door, the base was already done and has Water, Electricity and Sewer Drainage.

I'm building it in a Modular style so I can extend it as / when we get the chunk of land behind all filled in 😁

That 8 Car 4 lift Workshop may become reality some day 👿

Next up build a Roof Truss then order more timber to build the rest of them :)

·
W220 Moderator
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #351
Hi @tusabes, (y)

It's just a Car Garage for now, to keep my 2 Cars out of the foul "Heilan Winters", and as I go it will be equipped to double as a decent Paint Booth.

The ground behind and to the right side is gradually being built up to the same level with rocks and earth, then after that concreted ......................

So at that point I have a big Car Park and a Garage / Paint Booth ....................... After that then maybe's it will all come to fruition ;)

It will be a big project, and have to be PAYG for me because I'd not take out a loan, and don't have unlimited funds available, but yes the potential is there to add around it and tie in with the existing roof shape, that is why I am building it as I am.

Man, I'd just love to be able to get 8 Cars in, with three 2 post lifts and a 4 poster, and keep the new Garage area as a Paint Booth :D

@Deplore ,

I needed a break from this pesky Cranking / Firing issue lol, thanks for everything buddy

(y)

·
W220 Moderator
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #352
Hi again,

A customer didn't turn up today, so as it was raining this morning I finished my Electronics / EEPROMMING Bench, added the Regulated Power Supply Unit, Shelf and the Bins, (yep, they are screwed down) lol

Drying up outside so I might get the first Roof Truss done later today.

Also I finished the Cluster for my R170 V8 Project Car added the Logo's and reassembled it >:D

Cheers for now, Dave

·
W220 Moderator
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #354
Hi,

Update ..............

A bit more done on the Garage over the last couple of days in between jobs, all the long heavy 4.7m Trusses are up and fixed at each end, levelled and perfect 610mm Centres.

It's been light rain on and off all day, but I managed to get these done, was going to go back out and first fix the short rear trusses after late lunch right now, but it is now peeeeeeeeeeeeeing down pissistantly, so I'm packing up for the day, go in, get changed and then Pub for an hour + Curry ...............

Mmmmmmmmmmm .................

Mixed Bhuna Vindaloo Hot, with Mushroom Rice, Bombay Tatties and Sag Poneer me thinks ......... Yummy !!

Hopefully I'll get a better day tomorrow weather wise, finish the Rear Trusses and get the Poly Sheet all stapled on, then I can order the Ply and Roofing felt and store the ply in the dry, plus work under that without getting wet electric tools etc.

Cheers for now, Dave

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,396 Posts
How do you get anything done when it's constantly raining like that? Here in Cali when it rains I fuck off and go home, it's just miserable. Granted, I work outside, rarely use the garage inside...

·
W220 Moderator
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #356
Hi @Deplore,

That is always a problem building anything up here, and one of the reasons I buy Timber as I go, so it's not standing outside getting wet for too long.

It is always a major milestone when the Roof trusses are up and the the Poly Sheeting is stapled over the roof, because then you have a dry area underneath to leave all the tools and fresh Timber as it arrives, and also dry area for cutting and working under.

When the Roof is Ply and Felted the next job will be put Consumer Unit up, and Strip Lighting / Wiring, as it is now pitch black dark by 5pm and not light until 8am currently, but getting less and less daylight on a daily basis now, the "shortest winter day" up here is about 4 hours of daylight, conversly, the summer has a few days when it doesn't actually get dark :)

Winters are hard here on Cars that aren't daily drivers, and having been here 13 years now, I know this one will be a hard winter, so as much as I'd love to have fcuked off indoors yesterday and had a couple Beers in the Hot Tub, I simply had to put a hat on, get wet and crack on, that winter is coming in fast now and I don't want to lose these 2 Cars to it :(

It's fine outside, so I'll be doing the old girls daily shopping run in a minute, and then crack on, no rain yet, but forecast isn't good, then again it's often wrong here lol, we seem to have our own little micro climate :D

·
W220 Moderator
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #357 (Edited)
Mega updates incoming ..................

Monday 1st November .............

Got wet again, but not too bad, only a few showers !!

All Rear Trusses final fixed at each end, except the 2 nearest the Camera, they are just nipped on 2 screws each, got to come down and cut the Angles on the overhang, but it was getting too dark at 4.45 pm last night, so that's first job in a short while 😉

Talking of early evenings and "Heilan darkness", something I learned when building my Workshop many moons ago ................

Yesterday I ordered 6 off Double Fluorescent 5ft Battens with Tubes, (proper Fluorescent none of that LED tosh :( ), plus 10 Metal Clad Double Sockets, 1 double Metal Clad Switch for lights, and a 10 way 2x RCD Consumer Unit plus conduit and wiring consumables.

Once the Roof is water tight, get the Lights and at least a few Double Sockets 'sparked up', then I can work later into the evening to get the building finished and not have to keep running out extension cables, putting them away etc etc :)

So far excluding the already done Ground-works / Services on plot, I've spent just under a £1000 :)

After cutting those last 2 truss Angles in a short while, Today's Target will be cutting and installing Dwangs and Noggins to get the spacing mid the long forward Trusses bob on my 610mm, and final fix the Trusses to the rest of the Joists.

Tuesday 5th ..............

It was chilly but sunny most of the day 😄
Last 2 roof trusses finished and final fixed, all 18 Noggins done, and 6 out of 9 Dwangs finished, 6 long forward trusses now centred at 610mm and final fixed to their centre joist :)

Dwangs .............

Noggins .............

I ran out of daylight and need to go get one more length of 4X2 and more screws this morning to finish 3 Dwangs.

Ordered 3 rolls of 10m x 1m "Rhino" Mineral Felt, (25 year +), very good felt for sh!te weather, I have one roll left from Workshop extension a while back so will have about a half roll left :)

Ordering the 12mm Ply this morning, and going local, (well 50 mile round trip to Broadford IOS), for the single 4X2 and a couple boxes screws for ply when it arrives, and finish other joist fixings to trusses, build pedestrian door etc ..............

Will be ready to Poly Sheet later today, but today is very windy, really need dead calm day for that job, otherwise it all disappears across Loch Duich like a big Parachute and never to be seen again ..............

Do not ask how I learned that in just a mild breeze a few years back 😁

I'll likely knock up some ghetto stylee stand and roller later to hold the roll of poly as I'll be doing it all on my own as usual lol

Wednesday 6th ...........

OK, the Roof is now watertight having spent around 6 hours wrestling with Poly Sheet ......................

This stuff is 4m wide when off the roll and folded out. It is very thick, and doing it on ones own is a real Bear of a job.

Trying to stretch it and staple it was some effort, but thankfully it was a sunny day yesterday with not a hint of a breeze, so although I'm very achy today, I have now reached the next level.

The tighter you get it the less chance it will flap and tear if the wind gets up, which it does quite regularly where we are it can get quite wild ;)

Pedestrian Door is now started, well it's framework, that will be covered in ply too.

Ply is ordered, 12 off 12mm x 2440mm x 1220mm, Roof Felt should be here any day now but Ply might not get here this week, uncertain delivery, but if it does at least it won't get wet stood under the Poly Sheeted roof now.

I was gonna do the Sides with Poly too, but tbh, I think that will be more hassle than it's worth, better to get the Roof finished and then decide which way I'm going with Cladding ..........

Will either be 9mm hard wood ply for speed, but takes a lot of maintenance up here, or take a lot longer but use 18mm Sarking Boards with stepped edges ................. Jurys out atm 😉

Fluorecscents arrived Today, so if no Ply by end of the week I'll get the lights up and Wired.

Stuff arriving on a daily basis now, hoping the 2000 odd 12mm staples will hold that Poly until Ply arrives lol

I don't want no Hurricanes right now lol :eek:

Final update for now as of Friday 8th ............

Poly sheet is still up, holding well, we have had a couple of fairly windy nights 😉

Roof is now here in Kit form, can't get on it today due to work, but might get a bit done tomorrow.

Life stuff going on Saturday mid afternoon, but weather permitting it would be good to get the Roof final fixed and done this weekend :)

There is one more full Felt roll in storage shed, they are 10m x 1m so should be 2.5 rolls for Front and 1 for the Rear section, couple of half rolls in the shed if needed, perhaps to double cap over the Ridge :)

Most of the Electrical items are here now, enough to get the Lighting done immediately, waiting on Conduit items and Sockets / Fused Spurs to get the final fix of Power and Heating Circuits sparked up :)

I'm guessing I'm around £1800 now, still got Main Roller Shutter Door and Exterior Wall Cladding to buy, then worry about Insulation and Interior wall Cladding later on, probably in the new year, interior will likely be done with 25mm Kingspan and 6mm Ply ;) ................

Remember this is gonna double up as a nice clean Paint Booth eventually :D

Cheers for now, Dave

·
Registered
2003 S500
2,475 Posts
" (proper Fluorescent none of that LED tosh)"

Okay, here is a point upon which we shall differ...
I have had enough of fluorescent tubes getting dimmer and dimmer in a couple of years, going out/flickering, etc., etc. Then there are the ballasts that fail on a regular basis.
Then there is the miserable performance in an unheated/partially heated shop during cold weather.

I have bought sixty four-foot direct-connect LED fluorescent-replacement tubes - yes, I do have a lot of lights around. Instant-on, even below freezing, no ballasts to fail, 50,000 hour life, half the wattage to pay for, $5.80 each delivered.
Streets beyond fluorescents for me...

·
Registered
2005 S600
518 Posts
LEDs have gotten a lot better...I would honestly go LED nowadays...

Many years ago, I had fluorescent in my workshop - and I spent quite a bit of $$ to get proper color temperature bulbs. Still, even with the $$ spent (600 sqft shop, several hundred in fixtures and bulbs) they didn't quite have the color balance and warmth of incandescent. In a woodshop, color really, really matters...Most cheap fluorescent bulbs have horrible light. I went fluorescent for the electric cost savings.

But now, my most recent task lighting in my small garage was an inexpensive LED fixture.

The color is actually good. The running cost incredibly cheap. Far cheaper than fluorescent. The purchase price was about the same as an inexpensive fluorescent.

No reason any more to go fluorescent. Not on this side of the pond. Perhaps you don't yet have the options (recent governmental regulations required all new bulb sales to be CFL or LED, which drove huge changes in the bulb and fixture markets. CFLs are horrible for cost, color, and the environment, but the LED bulbs are actually quite good) but I urge you to reconsider the "Tosh"...

LEDs are now superior in every way to fluorescent.

·
W220 Moderator
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #360
Hi Guys,

I did try them last year in my main Workshop all along one wall, I was installing extra lighting to do Paintwork ............... Absolute TOSH !!

Try catching the gleam on Clear Coat with them, if you can't do that you end up with Runs or Dry looking Paintwork which then is a PITA to remedy and costs time and money :(

Maybe you guys in USA have better brands available, almost all LED stuff over here is Chinesium junk, hell out of 8 LED Tubes last year 2 were dud's and then I had all the hassle and stupidity of dealing with "Hop Sing Lotus Flower" the vendor :(

Remember, I'm going to be outfitting the Double Garage as a decent Paint Booth and move all the paintwork gear etc in there, prep in Mech Workshop, paint in Garage / Booth, so I want to know I got the light I personally like ;)
I've already bought them now, they are here, and last year I binned the four 5ft Double LED junk that I tried in Workshop after a matter of weeks :D

My Electricity Bill for the Workshop Meter (same supply as Garage is now fed from), is fully Tax Deductible so a few pence per day extra is of no consequence at all.

341 - 360 of 402 Posts