Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2008 E350 110k, 2000 E320 143k, 1983 380SEC 240k
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am slowly ticking off the projects - plugs, coolant, antenna.

The next ones require the vehicle to be lifted - tranny, sway bar bushings, motor mounts.

Not having access to a proper lift, what is the preferred option for a cheapskate diyer? Ramps? Jackstands? I am just getting the hang of this, so simple and clear tips for this newbie, please.

·
Registered
2001 E320; 2002 ML500
1,982 Posts
This is one area where you do NOT want to be cheap. If only the front of the vehicle needs to be raised (sway bar bushings) then you can use sturdy metal ramps and choke the rear wheels in addition to applying the parking brake.
If the entire vehicle needs to be raised, then you should use 4 good quality jack stands and place them under the jack pads on the side of the vehicle. Once the vehicle is on the jack stands, try pushing it from every side to make sure it is stable and not going anywhere. Remember your life is at stake!

·
Registered
w202 C280 gone s124 300TE gone r107 500SL s210 320cdi and 'junior', the w220 S320
22 Posts
as a belt and braces back-up

if you are taking any wheels off, put them under the car as well. I know you might not want to think about what a 2 ton car can do to your lovely alloys by falling on them but think about what it could do to you.
Always do this if you are changing a wheel by the roadside. I had a vw fall off the lousy Bilstein jack, and having done this, I could get the jack back in and lift the car again, and me complete with all my limbs and appendages.

·
Registered
2000 MB
803 Posts
I, even with the stands secured, I still get the feeling of the whole car falling on my face and , . . . you know what ! To assure me of safety, I still use the mb jack and my 2 ton jack for support.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
One of the most common issues with working under these cars is how you lift it with a hydraulic jack and then put the jackstand -- right where the jack already is. The only way around that I have found is to use the stock jack to lift it, then put in a jackstand.

+1 to the excellent advice of Sergio and SirHumphrey. Once it's on jackstands, rock it and see if it stays put; you don't have to get violent, but remember it's second nature to lean against a car, etc. Better to find out if it's stable that way. And if it is, toss some wheels under it. I too have always done that; wheels and tires are cheap compared to looking at a car laying flat on the ground on one side...with some part of your body under it. :eek:

And to E430SportMB...I would never work under a car supported only by jacks. The tendency is to try to "even the load" and that little one from MB is great for raising and lowering, but it swivels quite freely -- or perhaps you handn't noticed? So say it swivels a bit and the hyrdo seal starts leaking...yeah, maybe I'm overly cautions but for the extra few bucks and few seconds it takes to set a jackstand, that's caution "well spent". ;) Sure, I'd change a tire relying only on the jack, but to work on it or go under? No way, no how.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Inserting stands

...use 4 good quality jack stands and place them under the jack pads...
Thanks for the good advice, everyone.

Sergio, I tried to place jack stands under the pads, but they wouldn't fit. I think you are missing a step? <:)

·
Registered
2000 MB
803 Posts
One of the most common issues with working under these cars is how you lift it with a hydraulic jack and then put the jackstand -- right where the jack already is. The only way around that I have found is to use the stock jack to lift it, then put in a jackstand.

+1 to the excellent advice of Sergio and SirHumphrey. Once it's on jackstands, rock it and see if it stays put; you don't have to get violent, but remember it's second nature to lean against a car, etc. Better to find out if it's stable that way. And if it is, toss some wheels under it. I too have always done that; wheels and tires are cheap compared to looking at a car laying flat on the ground on one side...with some part of your body under it.

And to E430SportMB...I would never work under a car supported only by jacks. The tendency is to try to "even the load" and that little one from MB is great for raising and lowering, but it swivels quite freely -- or perhaps you handn't noticed? So say it swivels a bit and the hyrdo seal starts leaking...yeah, maybe I'm overly cautions but for the extra few bucks and few seconds it takes to set a jackstand, that's caution "well spent". Sure, I'd change a tire relying only on the jack, but to work on it or go under? No way, no how.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

Greg,
I knew that I will be misunderstood. I would never do that.
With the 2 sturdy jack stands plus the 2 ton jack and mb jack all together supporting the car.
Sorry . Hard sometimes for me to express my thoughts in words. English is my second language. LOL.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
WAS IT A

forklift?
An excerpt from the NTSB report on the crash of Flight 191:

18. The nine situations in which damage was sustained and cracks were found on the upper flange were limited to those operations wherein the engine and pylon assembly was supported by a forklift.

It turned out that the forklifts sagged (slow hydraulic leaks) under the weight when left for longer periods, damaging the attachment point. In other words, while that's interesting for a brake job, I wouldn't crawl under there without secondary support. That's just a huge, convenient floor jack. :)

But it is quite entertaining. :D

·
Registered
2001 E320; 2002 ML500
1,982 Posts
Thanks for the good advice, everyone.

Sergio, I tried to place jack stands under the pads, but they wouldn't fit. I think you are missing a step? <:)
It's tricky. The ones I own have a U shape that fits under the pad but centering it is difficult. Just make sure the vehicle rests on the stands properly.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stand Insertion

The part that is missing is, you first have to jack the car up with the tire-changing jack, before inserting jack stands?

·
Registered
2000 MB
803 Posts
What I did with was jack it up with 2 ton jack and then inserted the mb jack. Increased the height a little bit more and took out 2 ton jack, inserted the stand. Lowered the mb jack until both stand and jack don't move.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
O.K., another step-by-step method to get stand the stands in:

1) Open the flap that cover the jacking point.
2) Insert the middle finger of the right hand into the hole uncovered (use left hand if left handed).
3) Lift up car with right hand.
4) Insert stand with left hand, making sure it is properly centered under the rubber pad.
5) Lower car slowly and remove finger from hole.
6) Repeat steps 1 to 5 on other 3 jacking points.

WARNING - Not to be attempted by girly men. :D:D

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,467 Posts
No laugh Kobus. We did it with Fiat126.
But the whole thing was like 620 kg.
There is lot of tricks about holding the vehicles up. The safest are ramps IMHO. Jack stands come in different qualities. From sheet metal $2.99 item to HD cast for $30.
I had lot of jacks failing under my 15 tons motorhome, but coming from industrial background I have instinct of not getting under something heavy unless it is at least double protected.
BTW Greg. Even my forklift is very old, it holds the hydraulics for weeks.
My newer tractor lowers the front loader or backhoe while you watch. You never know.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts