Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've decided putting some time to get the air conditioner working might be worth the effort, especially when I start sweating on a hot day. Today I put the belt on, but the compressor seemed to be hung up or something. It would spin some and then it would stall out the car. I think the air compressor may need to be lubricated because I have never used it, which means it has not been use for maybe 7 years. on its own the compressor spins fine though it sounds like it might need some lubrication. Inside the car it blew air, but I don't know now if it was cold, thought it was though.

do I need to get it recharged? in the repair manual it showed the condesor with a little window in it, is this suppose to show the refrigerent level? I can barely see through the glass, it is yellow, so I don't know.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,750 Posts
Have a shop do a complete system test and go from there.

·
Registered
1979, 450 SL 1983, 500SL
290 Posts
Sight Glass

The lubracant is mixed with the gas so if it doesn't have gas you are running it dry. STOP!

The AC has an electricaly opperated clutch when off the pully spins freely. The wire comming from behind the pully is the 12v hot leg and the compresser is the negative.

The sight glass tells you when you are low on refreigerant. If it is low you will see a cloud go by the window. If charged completely the glass apears not to have anything. The down side if it is completely empty then it looks completely empty.

·
Registered
1985 190D (2.2, 5sp)
100 Posts
I have an R134 updated A/C in my 280SL and it works great, with lots of space to spare. I'm not sure if it's a MB part since I didn't put it on and I know nothing about the A/C in these cars. I'll take closer pics later on and examine it for part #'s if you're interested. I did a R134 update on my 124 using a generic compressor and it has worked great the last couple of years. Total part cost was less than $400 for everything I needed. It was worth $400 to update (in my opinion) and since you have plenty of room... :)

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
r134 is a retrofit for the old r12, you probably had to replace the hoses. I'm in an atmospheric chem class right now and it is silly all the fuss people make about CFCs b/c there is nothing you can do with them because they are so inert. So if you go and get a conversion, the guy takes your old R12 and puts it into a tank, and when it is full, he goes and sells it. They cannot destroy the stuff once it is made, so it will all eventually make it back into the atmosphere.

Well, I give up on it for now, i had to appoligize to the car for putting that damn AC belt on by filling it up. I like that if its completely full you don't see anything, and if it's empty you don't see anything, you can barely see anything in that little window anyways. I just wanted to see if I could get the AC working, because people spend/spent a lot of money to have it put into a car. it might cost maybe 2 thousand dollars to have an AC put in a car. I guess my father was right when he said it is all the non-german parts that cause problems, like that damn air pump, and the york AC.

thanks for the replies, i'll just have to roll down all the windows and the sunroof, to keep cool!

·
Registered
1979 Euro 450SL
30 Posts
daryn said:
thanks for the replies, i'll just have to roll down all the windows and the sunroof, to keep cool!
Be thankful you don't have the sweltering humidity from the East Coast. A/C is just about mandatory there!

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, that would suck, it gets freezing cold in the winter, then hot in the summer, that would probably finish one of these cars off, if you tried to drive it all year round, just add salt. There is some real money back east because that is where the big business is, so they can afford the problems they get.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts