Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
21 - 40 of 173 Posts

·
W245 Moderator
2009 C300 4MATIC
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Not yet, baby, not yet... :) I have one week to finish all this... stand by... :)

P.S. Check the previous pages for the projects... :)

·
W245 Moderator
2009 C300 4MATIC
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
First thing done yesterday was the re-install of the hood-pad (I've previously used high temp silicone which peeled off and the hoodpad dropped off the hood) using shoe glue... :)

Then I resprayed the radiator and the horn in black:

Then I've put some white electrical protective hoses to the plug wires ends and resprayed in black the valve cover:

New look under the hood:

Next was the refinishing of the trunk lid carpet:

·
W245 Moderator
2009 C300 4MATIC
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
As no 190 would not have an unpainted grill I proceeded by makin' it shiny black (the effect of this simple job is simply astonishing!!!) and I also polished the grille surround with chrome polish:

·
Registered
190E 2.0 euro spec
47 Posts
Wow did someone got paid:d

Great that you make so much pictures.
seriously this looks really good lot's of things i want to do as well.
I did the trunk star and painted my grill black.
Did you get your hood pad from ebay?
And what kind of paint did u use for your valve cover?
both of my rear windows don't work as well so hopefully i can fix those as well.
Do all 190E's have the same symptoms or what?

keep it up this looks great

Rik

·
W245 Moderator
2009 C300 4MATIC
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Answers in order:
My throat got paid with some b.e.e.r. .... :)
The hood pad wasn't for the 201.024 chassis hood (for 2.6 I think... B got it 4 me from e-bay... :) thanks again!!!)
I've just used a regular glossy french paint spray for the grille insert, radiator and valve cover.
For the rear windows... pursuit those simple steps: unmount the door panels, detect the feed wires to the windows motors, check continuity of the motor (put an ammeter at those two wires, pinch the wire's cover with the ammeter pins), test operation of the motor by feeding 12volts from another battery (or the cars'). If they move you have some discontinuity in the wiring (from the console to the rear doors) that you can check also for continuity step by step, once from the motor to the switch, from the switch (at this step you can see if the switch is operating, too, pin 1 and 2 to the motor, 3 and/or 7 is voltage 6 is switch illumination, 4 is ground) to the central console (mine had cut wires into the cable channel and one in the door rubber wire transfer hose).
Yeah, B, I was not kidding at all, you know what a stubborn ass I am... :)
For the trunk try to find a thick, nice rubber backed carpet, I, personally cut the pieces on the spot (u can use art sense there...:)) but others may handle it by backprinting the outer shape of the holes on paper or cardboard then leave like 1 cm for perfect matching. Today I'm in my office (work to support the projects) but tomorrow it's another day on the 190 (eye lids, acceletaror cable, vacuum check, etc.), so more pictures ahead (will also be a day into the mechanic's shop and one in the electrician's shop)! If only I'll have time for those ASAP.

P.S. As for the steering filter change, this was done simply. I've screwed off the reservoir lid's 10mm nut rubber cover (no butterfly for me...:)), then I've unscrew the 10 mm nut, took off the lid, uncrewed the 10 mm nut that holds the spring and the gizmo holder..., took off (by suckin on a transparent hose so I can see the red shit coming so I wouldn't drink it) as much steering fluid as I could (approximately 400 mililiters), took off the old filter (maroonish... gotta go), inserted the new cartridge in, poured the new Mobil ATF in up to the min cast mark, started the car, told my dad to steer side to side like 4 times for each left and right, let the car warm up to exactly 80 degrees, topped the reservoir to the max cast mark on the tank's wall (just in front, as looking at it), bled the system again by 4 times turning the wheel side to side (the mounting in reversed steps...LOL). The result was good, the PS does not whine anymore at max (the fluid there was low and the filter overused)... :)

·
W245 Moderator
2009 C300 4MATIC
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I know... but I've been doing this by the manual, so if I'm totally wrong... :)

P.S. on my car's reservoir the cast mark is a rectangular shaped stamp (so I guessed the upper side is for max...:))

·
Registered
93 190E 2.3, 94 E320 (sold), 01 E320, 99 S320, 18 Durango
5,010 Posts
so that means i can use the ATF instead of the PS fluid from the dealer for $10,
also i think i have a small leak some where in my PS system and i was thinking to use any PS stop leak like Lucas, is it ok to use those fluids? or it will cause any damage to the PS system?

·
W245 Moderator
2009 C300 4MATIC
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Lucas... never seen those over here... btw do you see the leak spot so we can track the damaged part?

·
W245 Moderator
2009 C300 4MATIC
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Well, I think the ATF 220 I've put in there is just ok for my old granny - just a little thinner than that Lucas shit, I don't agree anymore any additives into the shit I put in my cars, present or future - (btw mine seems to leak too as when they filled it last year it was ok).

Mobil ATF 220 is a high performance, fluid for automatic transmissions in older vehicles specifying Dexron IID. It is also used as a hydraulic fluid in unique applications.
Mobil ATF 220

Here is the used filter (dirty and slimy):

·
W245 Moderator
2009 C300 4MATIC
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Yesterday was another day for working on the 190E.

Work done: cleaning up the engine bay, carpeting the firewall (rubber backed gray slim carpet, trimmed to fit and glued on with shoe glue... :)), spraying the engine bay in white, claning the messy battery compartment, balancing the engine fan (one part was broken regled with industrial instant glue), repositioning of the hood strut, crosswise allignment of the hood (somehow, the gap is smaller now), adjusting the accelerator pedal (the action was not complete - with pedal down the throttle wasn't gettin' to full open). And not last, the mounting of the eye-lids (glued on with glass silicone - the one used to make aquariums). Here are some pics:

EYE LIDS GURRRRR... WATCH OUT!

·
W245 Moderator
2009 C300 4MATIC
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
...and more pictures...

OK people...

The red thicker and lower front springs:

Engine bay:

·
W245 Moderator