Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
S500
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never would have thought I would ever own one of these at my current stage in life. But I found a deal I couldnt pass up.

01 S500
Brilliant Silver w 46,500 M
Custom installed radar detector with 2 simple LEDs located in console to the left and right side

parktronic
distronic
ABC system
Heated/Vented Seats w/ some masssageing feature
rear shade
cd changer
11 navigation CD set

all for $44,000!!

I have lurked these forums for 7 months I finally caved.

Now my question is how do I make it look like an 03? Any advice or ideas about where to get the rear and front lights from? Is it a simple install job?

Its 4:40 in the AM and I cant stop thinking about the newest member in my garage.

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
very very petty

Cant you just be satisfied with an 01 S500 rather than trying to make people think you spent $100k on an 03 S500? A little childish in my opinion to go and buy the headlights, tailights and whatever else you feel will turn this 01 into an 03. Same goes for the people that go to buy an AMG badge and stick it on their S500 or S430, hoping people will think they spent more money on their car.

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
Cant you just be satisfied with an 01 S500 rather than trying to make people think you...

Cant you just be satisfied with an 01 S500 rather than trying to make people think you spent $100k on an 03 S500? A little childish in my opinion to go and buy the headlights, tailights and whatever else you feel will turn this 01 into an 03. Same goes for the people that go to buy an AMG badge and stick it on their S500 or S430, hoping people will think they spent more money on their car.

·
Registered
S430,190E 2.6,SL500
194 Posts
I've seen many fakes out there and it makes me tick:

- E320 AMG - we all know there's n...

I've seen many fakes out there and it makes me tick:

- E320 AMG - we all know there's no such thing

- SL600 - WITHOUT the V12 badge, therefore it's fake

- S400 - oh please, 400SEL but not S400!

to update your 2001 S-Class you have to do a complete job or experts will catch your bad work

1. the grille- replace it with the newer kind
2. front headlamps- get the new, clear kind
3. rear lamps

As Chucky300 said, I don't try to modify or upgrade my cars, I am satisfied with what I have. All my cars today are the way they were when they came out of the factory.

·
Registered
S500
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I must have been mistaken I thought this was a car enthusiast forum where people LIKED wor...

I must have been mistaken I thought this was a car enthusiast forum where people LIKED working on their cars to suit and customize them individually.

As you can see my 2k 4runner has over 12k of mods in it and I think its gorgeous.

Just like I feel that the 03 rear lamps look MUCH better, and the front CLEAR ones look amazing. BUT I don’t like the front grille of the 03 especially.

I’m curious why you all put such a negative spin on it? While others were down right rude "cant you be happy" "fake out" "makes me tick" "childish"

I always heard Mercedes owners were rather snobby, snooty, and many times rude, now I see it first hand. I guess its true in some cases then. Hah unbelievable.

Maybe I phrased it incorrectly by saying "make it look like an 03", but changing those parts is pretty much what it will do.

Well I won’t let some of you ruin this for me, I’m 23, I got my dream car, life is good, and to those of you who offered good honest advice THANK YOU sincerely, it truly reflects your positive character.

G'day folks.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re: I must have been mistaken I thought this was a car enthusiast forum where people LIKED

I must have been mistaken I thought this was a car enthusiast forum where people LIKED working on their cars to suit and customize them individually.

As you can see my 2k 4runner has over 12k of mods in it and I think its gorgeous.

Just like I feel that the 03 rear lamps look MUCH better, and the front CLEAR ones look amazing. BUT I don’t like the front grille of the 03 especially.

I’m curious why you all put such a negative spin on it? While others were down right rude "cant you be happy" "fake out" "makes me tick" "childish"

I always heard Mercedes owners were rather snobby, snooty, and many times rude, now I see it first hand. I guess its true in some cases then. Hah unbelievable.

Maybe I phrased it incorrectly by saying "make it look like an 03", but changing those parts is pretty much what it will do.

Well I won’t let some of you ruin this for me, I’m 23, I got my dream car, life is good, and to those of you who offered good honest advice THANK YOU sincerely, it truly reflects your positive character.

G'day folks.
Jimmy, please mod your car as you see fit. I think the taillight and headlight upgrade makes a fine modification, as they improve the cars looks. I don't see where people are coming from trying to say you are "making a fake" ... I just don't see it that way.

Please post pictures after you do the upgrades!

-s-

·
Registered
14 Posts
Jimmy, go for it. I don't think its a big issue of you being a poser or something. It's ...

Jimmy, go for it. I don't think its a big issue of you being a poser or something. It's a damn nice car you have and those are just enhancements. I put 2003 S600 wheels on my S500 because I like the look, not trying to act like I bought a 600.
The only thing about the new headlights is that the automatic leveling doesn't work with the conversion.

·
Registered
S500
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DOH! I love the automatic leveling, I guess Ill leave the fronts stock and just change t...

DOH! I love the automatic leveling, I guess Ill leave the fronts stock and just change the tail lights then.

Where do you guys get your rims from?

Since the late 90s I have loved this certain style of mercedes rims they are 18s, have a nice little lip all around, arent chrome or anything, and have 5 little short fat columns and a big flat center plate type in the middle.

Im not sure where to start, and I know the dealer would charge me an arm and a leg :) Im gonna start searching ebay but we'll see how it goes

cheers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
03 headlights and taillights

www.performanceproducts.com has the 2003 updates you were looking for.

Chucky and the others need to realize there's a difference between updating the head and tail lights and changing the numbers on the car. Updates make the car look better - that's why Mercedes made the changes in the first place. If you can obtain that improved, more modern look for $2,400 and avoid paying at least $30k more to get a '03 or '04 S, why not do it? Changing the numbers, on the other hand, doesn't improve the look of the car at all, and is only done to mislead people about the cost of the car.

I may be wrong, but perhaps Chucky feels he kind of missed out because he paid almost 100k for his '02, which gives him absolutely nothing that you don't have in the '01 you got for 44k. (by the way, great deal, congratulations Jimmy)

·
Registered
S500
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GREAT post ThinkCash!

That site is amazing qith some grea prices, hey somebody mentio...

GREAT post ThinkCash!

That site is amazing qith some grea prices, hey somebody mentioned that autoleveling doesnt work if you transplant the bi xenons fromt he 03 into the 01 is there any work around for that yet?

cheers!

thx again

·
Registered
2000 S500
8 Posts
Re: Jimmy, go for it. I don't think its a big issue of you being a poser or something. It's

Jimmy, go for it. I don't think its a big issue of you being a poser or something. It's a damn nice car you have and those are just enhancements. I put 2003 S600 wheels on my S500 because I like the look, not trying to act like I bought a 600.
The only thing about the new headlights is that the automatic leveling doesn't work with the conversion.
Can you explain to me what the "automatic leveling" is all about? Is this standard on my 2000 S500? I, too, was thinking of getting the new headlights. (I did get the new tail lights, and love them.)

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,897 Posts
I tend to agree with the "customizing is OK but new numbers not OK" folks. Bought a 2000 S500; noticed a small hairline crack in one taillight - replaced them with '03-'04 taillights because I like the fresher styling. Changed the center caps on the wheels to the shiny "star," too (Horrors!!). I also added chrome headlight trim - I just like the look. It's not masquerading as anything else - It's "my" car.

Not going to change headlights, grille, mirror flashers, bumpers, wheels, LCD screen, or anything else.

Kept the '00 taillights and dull-finish center cap star to pass them on - a new buyer can restore to original if desired. Unfortunately, a new buyer will have to deal with the fact that i will have installed a Mikbox that will let me use a more modern (non-Mercedes) cell phone than my StarTac - but the purist will still be able to use the old Mercedes branded Startac if desired. I'll even pass on my '00 nav discs instead of the new updates if it will make the buyer happy.

·
Registered
1994 W124 E320 1997W140 S320(RIP),1993W140300SE(RIP),2000W208CLK320(RIP) , 1993 W201 190E 2.6 (RIP),
1,821 Posts
RE: 03 headlights and taillights

thinkcash - 11/19/2003 9:39 PM

www.performanceproducts.com has the 2003 updates you were looking for.

Chucky and the others need to realize there's a difference between updating the head and tail lights and changing the numbers on the car. Updates make the car look better - that's why Mercedes made the changes in the first place. If you can obtain that improved, more modern look for $2,400 and avoid paying at least $30k more to get a '03 or '04 S, why not do it? Changing the numbers, on the other hand, doesn't improve the look of the car at all, and is only done to mislead people about the cost of the car.

I may be wrong, but perhaps Chucky feels he kind of missed out because he paid almost 100k for his '02, which gives him absolutely nothing that you don't have in the '01 you got for 44k. (by the way, great deal, congratulations Jimmy)
Excellent reply! I rarely check into the 220 forum, but every time I do, there's good ole Chucky, bashing someone for making a dredded (gasp![:0]) MOD! I REMEMBER the S600 emblem wars. I DO agree changint the numbers is wack, but besides that, wahts wrong with upgrading your look? Why do you think AMG or Brabus, or any aftermarket even exists?[:eek:)]

·
Registered
2006 CLS 500
51 Posts
Jimmy,

Congrats!!!!

I bought my 2000 s430 and the first thing I did was to online and look for upgrades. I purchased new tail lights, xenons, chrome trim for front and back lights, interior chrome kit, and some other goodies.

I found almost EVERYTHING that I needed on ebay. Just type in "s500" in the search box and you'll get over 4 pages of stuff.

All I need now is the Shovel/Scooper accesory that mounts to my front bumper..... " so I can pick up all the chicks that are falling over my car"

>> Just Kidding ;-) <<

Take care and congrats!!!

Dino

·
Registered
26 Posts
yo Jimmy! Congratulations!!! I have a S430 and I'm 23 also, the best part about it is when the older guys see you driving it! And the girls love it too!

If you're interested, I have the AMG front bumper. It's got a much more aggressive look - I upgraded mine, but I wound up with 2 for some crazy reason (too long to explain)

Anyways, I'll let it go for $500 - do some research and see how nice the AMG front bumper on a '03-'04 looks, it's sick!

And don't listen to that guy about not up-grading your car, there's no reason why you can't make it look better - at least your going with factory up-grades, and not putting 24" chrome spinners and bass in the trunk.

Jordan

·
Registered
16 Posts
jordan1080, is it a amg front bumper from mercedes or a knock off. what color is it? any leads on authentic mercedes amg sides and rear bumper.

·
Registered
26 Posts
yeah, it's 100% authentic AMG with the badge and all, painted in a primer color - I have pics if you want, just email me at

[email protected]

I also have a black sport bumper, I'll let it go for $290.00

I don't sell Mercedes parts, I just wound up with these extra 2 bumpers because I am rebuilding my S430 and I needed some new front end parts due to an accident, and it's a long story, but I wound up with an extra AMG bumper and a Sport bumper...No they are just takin up valuable space in my warehouse.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts