Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2002 E320 Wagon, 06 Porsche Boxster S, 08 MINI Cooper S
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just this past Friday we took a 300 mile round trip up to Fredricksburg, VA to visit the school (Mary Washington University) my daughter will be starting in the fall. This was the first decent trip we have given the Wagon since purchasing it in April. The car was an absolute dream on the highway and as stated in the title we recorded 28.6 for the trip. I am thrilled at getting this kind of mileage out of it. We never saw any better than 26mpg out of our 04 Mazda 6 wagon that the Benz replaced and that car had a 5 speed manual and a 3.0 V-6! And no, I was not driving slow. We were usually running right around 75 mph and I only used the cruise control a couple of times to make sure it worked.

So if something as big and heavy as a W210 wagon can get nearly 30mpg on the highway why in the world would somebody bother to get an SUV is beyond me.

I AM REALLY BEGINNING TO LOVE THIS CAR!! :D

·
Registered
2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
908 Posts
Hey Hib,

Slow down and be REALLY surprised!
If you cant get 35 out of it you need to spend more time on this forum.
B

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Slow down and be REALLY surprised!
If you cant get 35 out of it you need to spend more time on this forum.
B
Since I was going up and down hills plus was in some traffic I can easily believe that 35 is possible. Especially if I took it easier and on flat ground. I would love to see mileage like that. Then it would be doing almost as well as my MR-2 does in the same situation.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,480 Posts
The mileage at 40 mph might give you heart attack :D
Our diesel makes 36 mpg at 70 mph.
I am satisfy making only 28.
Fuel is still cheap comparing to value of our time. We drive 550 miles to Vegas every year. Even now at $5 fuel cost us $98. We could save about $20 on fuel if we add 2 hr to driving time.
Average day of our vacations cost us $500 or about $35/hr.
So saving $20 on fuel for loosing $ 70 worth of vacations?
Not me.
did I mention I like the adrenaline while passing everybody ?

·
Registered
1996 E300D
133 Posts
I recently drove to Hilton Head and back and if I would have ran it bone dry I would have gotten close to 650 miles out of my tank...

·
Registered
2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
3,488 Posts
I just did 33 mpg on a 150 mile trip with the wife, the kid, the kid's stroller and the solid wood chair we bought in the trunk for the return trip. That was with the cruise control pegged at 110 km/h (69mph).

I agree with you - the mileage on these cars is surprisingly good if you drive them easy. If anyone told me that a 4000lb AWD wagon with a 220 hp engine would get that kind of mileage, I'd have laughed at them before I saw it for myself.

·
Registered
2002 E320 Special Edition
10 Posts
I recently went on about a 400 mile trip from KC to Eureka Springs, Arkansas in my 02 E320 and hit 30.2 mpg with cruise on at roughly 74 mph. I was very pleased to say the least.

·
Registered
R230 SL350 Presnt, Past - W208 CLK230K 2000, W203 C Class, W202 C Class, W210 E Class, W201 190E
1,465 Posts
with the way fuel prices are going it looks like the US will soon go the way every other country in world did 20 years ago and finally get smaller engines, or dare I say it diesels !

As it costs around $9 a US Gallon in the UK and If I only got 28mpg I would not be excited.!

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
3,488 Posts
with the way fuel prices are going it looks like the US will soon go the way every other country in world did 20 years ago and finally get smaller engines, or dare I say it diesels !

As it costs around $9 a US Gallon in the UK and If I only got 28mpg I would not be excited.!
28 mpg US = 33.5 mpg UK. Your 4 cylinder coupe is 800+ lbs lighter than our heavy, V6 station wagons. Given the difference in size and weight of our two cars, I have to be pretty satisfied with the fuel consumption comparison.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
My point is that technology really is improving the breed when we let it. For a car this big and heavy with a 3.2L V-6 to get this king of mileage is very impressive. I have had several cars over the years as our "family car" and this car gets nearly the best mileage of them all.

Comparing our family cars over the years the Benz is bested by only the Mazda Protege sedan we started out with and that was a small 4 door sedan with a 1.8. The Benz basically equals the 87 Saab 9000 Turbo we had, slightly beats the 97 VW Passat VR-6Wagon, and significantly beats the 04 Mazda 6 Wagon.

So, as you can see all of the cars I listed are at least a bit lighter and had smaller engines with less HP yet the Benz beats or equals all but one on mileage. Plus each and every one of those was a stick shift. Neither my wife nor I basically ever drove an automatic until this car. We preferred the better mileage and control a stick offers.

I can't help but be impressed with that and it proves that we can engineer cars with decent power and good mileage. We just need more customers to demand it happen. The new Bluetech's are a perfect example of power and economy unlike the current E350 which has taken a step backward in mileage compared to our W210's.

·
Registered
My Two Left Feet
3,183 Posts
I won't lie, this is the one thing about my E-Class that I miss allot. I was filling up once a week. I had to borrow a ford focus and was filling up 3 to 4 times in a 7 day period.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts