Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2000 S500 Sport
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week after some trial-and-error I finally got a perfect finish on the wood trim in my 2000 S500, which was full of fine scratches that were clearly visible, especially in direct sunlight. Keep in mind that I'm a detail nut and had all of this stuff in my garage already so if you go out and buy it all figure on spending around $60-70:

- Menzerna Intensive Polish II
- Menzerna Final Touch Glaze
- Zaino Z-5 "Swirl Remover" Polish
- A few microfiber buffing cloths from properautocare.com
- A 50/50 mixture of water and alcohol

I also carefully masked off the trim using masking tape since the products here contain some petroleum distillates which can very well damage the plastic parts in the interior.

1. I polished the scratches out of the wood trim using a damp microfiber cloth and the Menzerna Intensive Polish II, first in an up-and-down motion, then side-to-side, then up-and down again using moderate pressure. Remove polish residue with a clean microfiber cloth dampened with the alcohol/water mix once the polish residue has dried to a haze.

2. I repeated the above procedure but using light pressure in order to remove any scratches that step 1 may have inflicted (the polish itself contains micro-fine abrasives and will leave it's own fine scratches or haze if too much pressure is applied).

3. Cleaned the trim very well with the alcohol/water mixture to remove any polish residues.

4. Applied the Menzerna Final Touch Glaze in circular motions using a dry microfiber cloth until almost dry, then let dry, then buffed off with a clean microfiber cloth.

5. Repeated step 4.

6. Applied two coats of Zaino's Z-5 "swirl remover" polish, in up/down motions. Allowed to dry a couple of hours each time before buffing off with a dry microfiber cloth.

The finished product is astounding. I hate imperfections on my car inside or out and the wood looks stunning now. I was afraid it might be too glossy and glare the sun in my eyes thanks to the Zaino but that is not the case at all, and in fact the wood now has a beautiful liquid shimmer to it with no more glare than a new car out of the showroom. This sounds like a lot of work but in reality it wasn't that bad at all and was TOTALLY worth it considering how great the wood looks now!

***one caveat - be sure you're using very high quality microfiber cloth that cannot scratch ... I strictly use the polishing cloths from properautocare.com ... DO NOT use anything from a local parts store ... there is little consistency in the quality of microfiber and a bad one will scratch up your wood trim far worse than it was to begin with.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts