Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2008 R320 CDI, 2006 SLK350
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am preparing to order an SLK350. The one option package I am "on the fence" about is the "wood trim package". I would welcome any thoughts about the pros and cons.

·
Registered
SLK 200, Golf V GTI
269 Posts
Welcome FunBenz! What colour car/interior have you ordered?

pros- looks nicer than the standard silver plastic, makes the whole interior classier, not over the top, steering wheel feels and looks great.

cons- doesn't really suit every available interior/exterior colour, steering wheel might get really hot in summer, higher risk of scratching/marking, and also that I didn't order it! (with ash leather) [V]

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
I ordered it with my iridium silver/red just because I liked the look of it. I agree with the the "Pros" posted above but not necessarily with the "cons". I live in sunny So. Cal. and don't notice that the wood steering wheel is any hotter than my other cars. It is really a matter of preference. Personally I had to have it. There are some pictures posted in the picture thread of some interiors with the wood trim.

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
Pros: Good looking wood color that looks richer than the silver plastic on the dash. Cons: Hard slick (non performance) feeling (and looking) steering wheel. I wish you could just get the trim on the dash.Allegro aperto

·
Registered
Orion Blue SLK350
108 Posts
I really wrestled with what to do about the wood trim steering wheel when I got an opportunity to take delivery of a cancelled SLK350 order. I even considered swapping it out for the standard wheel.

However, having used it now for a few months, I really like the look of the wood trim. Definitely very classy (my interior is black, BTW). The steering wheel is just fine... there are a few times when having a soft grip might be a bit better, but I'm not experiencing any of the issues (cold grip in winter, poor traction when steering) I was concerned about.

Overall, I'm really glad that I got the wood trim, and in retrospect, may well have included it in my order had I pursued it to completion.

Jerry

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
I don't like the "High Gloss" wood trim in most new cars including the SLK (and Rolls Royces). I think it looks cheap rather than luxurious. Fine furnature has a satin finish that brings out the depth and grain of the wood. The plastic coating could just as well be applied over a high quality photo of wood and most people wouldn't know the difference.

·
Registered
SLK350
475 Posts
I have the wood trim in my Iridium and Berry Red SLK350. The wood looks and feels Great!. The leather does wrap into the areas adjacent to the control buttons, so you can steer most of the time without gripping the wood, but the wood feels so nice, I prefer it. The door pulls, hand brake, shift lever, as well as the dash inserts are all wood. In the sunlite, the color is very rich and lovely.

Roberta[:)][:)]

Attachments

·
Registered
slk 350
116 Posts
I too was debating whether to order the wood trim package when I was configuring my SLK350. Before I had to make the final decision, I took delivery on a well-loaded car that had the wood trim.

Like Roberta, my car is Iridium Silver w/ the red seats and I’m glad I ended up with the wood trim. It really warms up the look of the interior by breaking up the expanse of black on the dash. Although there isn’t as much wood in the cabin as in my previous Jag XK’s, in my opinion it’s just enough to give the interior a touch of elegance without making it look like a luxury car wannabe.

Yes, the wood doesn’t look like furniture, and the wheel is colder and warms up more slowly in the winter; and I suppose it might be slippery when racing. But I like the feel, and the wood trim is almost always the first thing passengers comment on.

Now if MB could only get their turn signals to make the wood-block sounds of the Jag…

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The color combination I am planning on ordering this week is Mars Red with Beige Interior. I love the look of the wood trim pieces, it is just the issue of the steering wheel.

I am planning on this car being a "keeper" for a number of years.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback on the issue of whether the steering wheel gets hot. We have about 4 months of pretty hot weather in Memphis.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the observation. It is helpful to hear from someone who has lived with the steering wheel. That seems to be "the issue" with the wood trim package.

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
FunBenz - 2/6/2005 5:18 PM

The color combination I am planning on ordering this week is Mars Red with Beige Interior. I love the look of the wood trim pieces, it is just the issue of the steering wheel.

I am planning on this car being a "keeper" for a number of years.
Mars/Beige without wood.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great looking car. Was the windscreen a dealer installed option, or did you get that from an aftermarket supplier?

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
FunBenz - 2/6/2005 3:22 PM

Great looking car. Was the windscreen a dealer installed option, or did you get that from an aftermarket supplier?
Looks like the $449 Mercedes option available through dealers...[:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
Motzkoman - 2/6/2005 11:59 PM

Looks like the $449 Mercedes option available through dealers...[:D][:D][:D]
Yes it is . Here is a better picture of it.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Julien:

Is it hard to remove the plexiglass insert and put it back in? Where would you store it? Does it appear that it would be easily scratched (particularly rolling around in the trunk)? I just know there would be some days that I would not want to use it and take it out.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
I would also like to know if it comes with a case or a protective sleeve for the plexiglass. I like to keep a hat back on the shelf when the top is not down and with the screen up there is no reaching back there...[:0]

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
Motzkoman - 2/7/2005 10:17 AM

I would also like to know if it comes with a case or a protective sleeve for the plexiglass. I like to keep a hat back on the shelf when the top is not down and with the screen up there is no reaching back there...[:0]
It comes with a really nice heavy woven double zipper storage case with inside pockets for the mounts. It takes less than a minute to install or remove. I don't see or have any reason to remove mine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Julien:
Did you install it yourself, or did the dealer install it?

How does the frame attach to the car?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts