Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1986 300SE
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wood trim on my 86 300 SE is in good condition, but it is coming un-adhered from the dash. Sould I "help" it along , take it off, and try to glue it back on?

I am afraid I am going to crack otherwise beautiful trim.

Any advice guys?

·
Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Sport
2,713 Posts
I would VERY CAREFULLY try to remove the wood. Be careful as this is EASY to crack. You may be able to do this a little at a time by slipping a razor blade behind it or something similar. DO NOT PRY it off. Once you have it off, clean the contact areas thoroughly. Then remount with something like Gorilla Glue.

·
Registered
2008 CLK550, 2012 C300
573 Posts
Whoa! Be very careful with the Gorilla Glue. The urethane foams as it cures. A mess to clean. Clean with mineral spirits.

The wood is adhered to an aluminum backing. Try gently lifting the piece to detach.

Bye Bye is usually dead nuts on, but if you go with Gorilla use sparingly.

·
Registered
1986 300SE
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I will try to detach the whole piece off first, carefully, then re-cement it.

·
Registered
1982 380 SEL
235 Posts
I used that "goo off" product to remove the metal backing of the wood from the plastic backing before using the finish stripper. If you still need help getting it off, you might try pouring a bit of that into the split between the dash and the wood. Keep a towel handy to catch the drips and wipe it up as fast as you can. It should loosen the adhesive to the point where you can easily peel the wood away from the mounting.

·
Registered
1984 300 CD
29 Posts
I find the wood trim on my '84 300 CD is warping, so even if you re-adhere it, it doesn't really stay because it isn't flat anymore. I'm not sure what the solution to that problem is...

·
Registered
1982 380 SEL
235 Posts
djretromaxx said:
I find the wood trim on my '84 300 CD is warping, so even if you re-adhere it, it doesn't really stay because it isn't flat anymore. I'm not sure what the solution to that problem is...
Well if you find one let me know, because mine is doing the same in a few spots. I can tell you that you'd have a much easier time bending the wood if it was stripped of the finish. But unless you plan to stain and refinish the wood, you probably don't want to do that. Just know that the stock mercedes wood finish is very very hard and will crack rather easily if too much pressure is applied.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts