Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
07 GL 450, 00 E320 Wagon, 99 S500, 93 400E, 87 EURO Testarossa
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a wood steering wheel to complete the minor interior mods and wanted to post some pics for those who have considered purchasing one of these sometime soon. Please note, do not ask a dealer to do this as it takes about 5 minutes to change the steering wheel. You will need the right tool to remove the nut that holds the steering wheel in place. First, you need to remove the air bag and this is held on by 2 screws that are removed from backside of the steering wheel, one on the left and one on the right. Once removed, the air bag should come off and now remove the two electric connections (do not forget where they are connected on the base). Then, there is a nut that holds the base on right in the center, just remove it and the steering wheel should slide right off. The hole in the base is grooved so when installing the new one, make sure it is grooved as well. The installation is just the reverse order. I am sorry for not having installation pics, I had a fellow benz member do the exchange in the parking lot at a benz get together and did not have my camera.

Here are the pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
1993 W140 500SEL Black/Black, 12014 Ford Fiesta ST Blk/Blk
1,128 Posts
Looks excellent, fits the car well, I actually like the wood cluster trim in combo with the chrome gauge trim. Sweet!

·
Registered
1997 S 500
24 Posts
Looks great. Is there a website in which to purchase interior products such as new seats, dashboard, etc. I would like to give my interior a makeover. I have a '97 S500.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, am surprised that you recognized the chrome rings. With respect to interior upgrades, there are plenty of websites, you just need to do some searches on the w140 and they will show up. You may want to start with performance products and apsis mercedes wood trims.

·
Registered
CLS350 C219 2006
582 Posts
Looks great. Is there a website in which to purchase interior products such as new seats, dashboard, etc. I would like to give my interior a makeover. I have a '97 S500.
A quick saearch reveals some nice early christmas presents.
Hint: german word for wood is 'Holz', try on ebay "w140 Holz".

Instrument cluster, woodgrain:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mercedes-R129-R-129-SL-W129-W-129-W140-Tachoblende-Holz_W0QQitemZ250402967841QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutoteile_Zubeh%C3%B6r?hash=item250402967841&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Steering wheel: Basic
eBay Motors: 92-98 W140 S500 S600 S320 S280 300SE steering wheel cap (item 360142518905 end time Apr-25-09 21:58:35 PDT)

Steering wheel and knob, fancy
eBay Motors: MERCEDES W140 210 202 WOOD STEERING WHEEL + shift knob (item 200242542304 end time Apr-24-09 13:42:52 PDT)

Extra nice one, made in Italy
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Lenkrad-Victor-365er-Mercedes-S-Klasse-W140_W0QQitemZ290304684138QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutoteile_Zubehör?hash=item290304684138&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116
Tempting stuff ;):)

·
Registered
2006 ML 320Cdi Off-Road package, 2010 E500 Cab
340 Posts
Please, please tell my where you got that wheel .................... I can already feel it in my hands! :notworthy:

·
Registered
2005 W211 E320
1,254 Posts
Very nice 'sporty' style wheel, that would certainly tempt me to drive it that way... heh. I think those are the same wheels they're using in the new AMG cars? Or very similar... pretty nice!! Wood all looks great in the cluster with the chrome rings... I'm still considering it.

·
Registered
1999 S500
98 Posts
I would also like to know where you got your wheel from... I would like to get one just like yours as well!:bowdown: "Car look's VERY NICE"!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Very nice 'sporty' style wheel, that would certainly tempt me to drive it that way... heh. I think those are the same wheels they're using in the new AMG cars? Or very similar... pretty nice!! Wood all looks great in the cluster with the chrome rings... I'm still considering it.
Very observant of you, the wheel is an AMG syle wheel and the mechanic that switched it for me had the same comment "this is just like the new AMG wheels". With respect to grip, it is excellent, the curved shapes on the left and right sides and the backside of the wood along the top is grooved for your fingers and I must say, it feels wonderful and looks great.

Prices are pretty low right now:

eBay Motors: BENZ W202 W210 W140 W124 WOOD LEATHER STEERING WHEEL (item 370176740681 end time Apr-20-09 03:57:45 PDT)

·
Registered
340 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks I've just got to have one. Thanks so much for sharing!

Do they look and feel as good as they look in the pic?
My wheel is dark grey - is that sufficient or was there more than one dark grey wheels? They ask for a color code - where do I get that?[/QUOTE]

Feel and Look, both are great. I am very pleased with the quality of this wheel. The match was perfect and the grooves are really nice and the extra money for this AMG style wheel is well worth it.

Color - you should find out what is the color code for your interior and wheel or take some pics and posts and we can advise from the pics. If you want a detailed spec sheet on your car, go to this website:

Mercedes-Benz Club Russia | Mercedes-Benz / VIN

input your VIN # and it will give you most of want you need to know about the specs on your car when it left Germany.

·
Registered
340 Posts
For some reason my VIN does not work om that website

"Datacard for VIN ADB14005062152542 is not found"

Any other way to determine the color?
I also attach a pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
A Few
1,418 Posts
I've been meaning to get around installing the burl cluster/chrome rings, and I finally did it today.

Unlike the OP though, I got the adhesive burlwood that sticks to the cluster as opposed to the burlwood already in the cluster, and my god its a PITA to install!!!

You cant remove the plastic lens, so you'll have to squeeze the burl from the back, but thats not even the hard part.

Trying to align the burlwood to the cluster is useless since the front burl keeps sticking to the plastic lens(so it gets messed up), and once you remove the adhesive backing to hold in place, brace yourself for hell!

I had to use a small flathead screwdriver to keep peeling the adhesive as I arrange it within the cluster walls. Surprisingly it took only about 30 mins and installing the chrome rings was a piece of cake.

If anyone plans on doing this, its worth spending the extra $$$ and buying the burl cluster and saving yourself hassle. If you dont have a choice, good luck :p

Cant find a camera right now, but once I do i'll take shots of the burl cluster/steering wheel/v8 shift knob combo :D

·
Premium Member
1996 S320 (Kuro) 1998 S600 (Weiss)
2,883 Posts
I've been meaning to get around installing the burl cluster/chrome rings, and I finally did it today.

Unlike the OP though, I got the adhesive burlwood that sticks to the cluster as opposed to the burlwood already in the cluster, and my god its a PITA to install!!!

You cant remove the plastic lens, so you'll have to squeeze the burl from the back, but thats not even the hard part.

Trying to align the burlwood to the cluster is useless since the front burl keeps sticking to the plastic lens(so it gets messed up), and once you remove the adhesive backing to hold in place, brace yourself for hell!

I had to use a small flathead screwdriver to keep peeling the adhesive as I arrange it within the cluster walls. Surprisingly it took only about 30 mins and installing the chrome rings was a piece of cake.

If anyone plans on doing this, its worth spending the extra $$$ and buying the burl cluster and saving yourself hassle. If you dont have a choice, good luck :p

Cant find a camera right now, but once I do i'll take shots of the burl cluster/steering wheel/v8 shift knob combo :D

Sounds like a mission and a half!

Keen on seeing the pics - I've been considering the Burl cluster for some time now - but just a little hesitant of the installation process... :crybaby2:

·
Registered
A Few
1,418 Posts
Here ya go ;)

Zoomed out:

Zoom 1

Zoom 2

Zoom 3

3D Look (my favorite)

V8 Shift Knob

Pictures hardly do justice. Looks great in person :thumbsup:

·
Registered
CLS350 C219 2006
582 Posts

·
Registered
A Few
1,418 Posts
What do you mean by a metal sheet? Its hard to explain without a video but basically you fold the burlwood like a pancake and insert it from the back of the cluster(the same entry as the chrome rings)

Assuming the materials used on your burl is the same as mine, its quite flexible and doesnt leave creases or bends afterwards :)

·
Registered
2006 S500 AMG Wifes Rig Hillbilly Girl 02 ML320
2,332 Posts
I just installed that same wheel! I fell in love with it at first look. Install a snap but please remove your batt cable first! You don't want that bag to pop in your kisser! could make for a bad and expensive day. I also put on some of the chrome trim on the dash and gear frame. I put in the bezel rings but without the woodgrain. I got my new 600 grill in yesterday and it looks GREAT! As soon as I get my clock back and get cluster installed I will get some pics! One more sort, the shifter and I will have it pretty well done!!

Smokie

·
Registered
340 Posts
Please, please tell my where you got that wheel .................... I can already feel it in my hands! :notworthy:
When I wrote this I had no idea that within a couple of months I would indeed feel it but, it would be in a W220 - S600 and not the W140 - S500.
All I can say is thanks.

·
Registered
CLS350 C219 2006
582 Posts
What do you mean by a metal sheet? Its hard to explain without a video but basically you fold the burlwood like a pancake and insert it from the back of the cluster(the same entry as the chrome rings)

Assuming the materials used on your burl is the same as mine, its quite flexible and doesnt leave creases or bends afterwards :)
Hi,
The one I bought is real wood on a thin metal back. I tried to bend slighty and was rewarded with a minor crack. No way it can be bend or folded.

Must be a different type to yours, assumes you can take the clear plastic of the cluster off.

Cheers:surrender:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts