Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1982 380 SEL
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm refinishing all the burled walnut in my car right now, but I'm stumped as to how to remove the last two pieces. I've already removed and started to refinish the door, center console, ashtray, climate control, and glove box pieces, but I can't figure out how to get the long dash strip on the left and the small dash piece on the far right out. This is where I am right now...

1.All center wood, radio, and climate control are out
2.Removed speedometer
3.Removed light knob and large nut behind knob, but the plastic trim is still secured somehow
4.Removed three small black screws above center air vents
5.Removed carpeted piece above drivers foot well

Now what?
I know the vents come out somehow, but I don't know how. I can't seem to find any more screws to remove so I'm stumped. What do I need to do next?

By the way, the wood is looking great so far. I plan to post a writeup within the coming days or weeks with a tutorial and lots of pics.

·
Registered
1984 500 SEL euro, 1989 560 SEL, 1980 450 SL, 1981 DeLorean, 2013 F10 BMW
1,253 Posts
You will need to remove the left vent next to drivers door. Look inside a small round opening in the vent area adjacent to the door and you will find a balck nylon nut that will need to be removed. Reach inside the instrument cluster and feel behind the area of the wood and you will find several more nylon nuts that hold the wood thru the dash. The same for the piece on the far right.

If you have already removed pieces from the door panels, then you will know what the nylon nuts look like. Are you doing the refinishing yourself? Post pics on the progress.

Regards,

·
Registered
1982 380 SEL
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do I remove that vent? Do I pull it from behind or is it secured somehow? Do I need to remove the far right vent as well?

I'll reach back and see if i can find the nuts. How many are there? Should I be able to remove them with my fingers? I actually don't know what the nylon nuts look like because all of my door wood was separated from the block mounts. All I had to do was remove the trim around the seat switches and door handle and the trim fell right off. Lucky me I guess :)

And yes I'm refinishing it all myself. I'm basically doing exactly what danwatt did. You can see his process http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd-sdl-class/1214492-wood-finishing-project.html?highlight=wood+refinishing

·
Registered
1984 500 SEL euro, 1989 560 SEL, 1980 450 SL, 1981 DeLorean, 2013 F10 BMW
1,253 Posts
Yes you will need to remove both side vents. Roll the vents up to about 45 deg. and you will see the spring retainers on the sides of each when you look into the vents. Take a small flathead screw driver and lift the spring tabs while gentle pulling the vent forward. When both tabs are released you will be able to slide the vents out.

On the passenger side you will need to remove the glove box liner so as to gain access to the nut on the inner most side. Remember that the vents cover the outermost nuts that are situated in a round hole towards the door.

Once all the nuts are removed, you will lift the panels from the inner most side then slide out towards the respective door so as to clear the threaded stud.

Regards,

·
Registered
'84 500 SEC Euro 040 black Lorinser 2005 sl500
2,516 Posts
There are 2 7 mm nylon nuts, one on each side of the steering column about midway down the backside of the long wood trim piece. You will need a 7mm socket and a 3 inch or six inch extentension to hold onto to unsrew the nylon nuts. inside each side vent you will find one nylon 7mm nut that is accesible through a round hole that is cut into the plastic of the side vent that you can see once the side vents are removed. since you already have the three tiny phillips head wood screws removed on the long piece, the piece should pull right out starting from right to left, then swing it out towards the drivers door opening. Once you remove the glove box liner, you will need the 7 mm socket and the 6 inch extension to reach through the glove box opening and place over the nut near the top of the right hand vent wood. The only other nut is inside the hole in the plastic vent on the right side that was earlier mentioned. So:
-Long piece that goes from drivers door to the glove box opening: 3 7mm nylon nuts and 3 small wood screws.
-Right side vent wood: just 2 7 mm nylon nuts

Wow...now I even confused myself!
Good luck!

·
Registered
1982 380 SEL
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! Thanks for the thorough help. I managed to get the spring loaded clips on the vents out earlier today, but I had to put the speedometer back in so that I could drive to work. Hopefully I'll get some time within the next few days to finish the removal. The actual refinishing takes forever because the coating I'm using takes 3 days to dry and then I have to sand it. I usually put 2-3 coats each time, wait 3 days, sand, and then add a few more coats. It's takes awhile for it to build up to be as thick as the original veneer. I have the drivers door piece completely finished and reinstalled, and I'm almost done with the ashtray piece and the wood around the shifter. I'll post pictures of it all sometime soon.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Just a heads up...the two nuts on either side of the steering wheel will require you to take the speedo assembly back out so you can reach inabove the wood.. To get a good thick build up coat so that I can sand the finish smooth for the first 2 rough coats I used the minwax spray-on polyurathane. As long as you build it up every half hour or so with a quick spray, you can get a couple of good coats on the wood so that you don't dig in too deep with the sanding. I also found that using a brush on coat of minwax antique walnut gloss as a middle coat will get the finish to look a bit more like stock insted of just using clear coats over the stained wood. Just finished my dash wood this weekend and was a bit surprised on how nice it came out. I also took some burlwood laminate that I bought and covered my coin cup and the legs for the climate control that go around the stereo in burl. So all wood fromm the acc to the back of my center console now. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
And Tuetone..H... I found a 85 500 sec/sel center console wood with the seat heater cutouts that was in bad shape that I have started to strip for your car. Couldn't find one already done so thought I would take a poke at it.
Greg

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
42,134 Posts
Thanks mate, I have a pretty good one (with all switches) that I was going to show you.
Minimal hairline cracks, but a few light discolorations (water?). Hopefully they are only in the laquer? Otherwise it's an close to perfect looking piece. I'll have it on me.
I'll probably watch the F-1 race at 4:30 AM.
Cheers, Horst

1 - 10 of 10 Posts