Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2008 S550 designo
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a wood gear knob to replace my badly worn leather original. There have been tons of posts regarding the installation of these with not much good info. in reply. I thought I'd share my experience.

This is a VERY easy job if you are familiar with disassembling the center console. There are tons of good posts regarding this topic here, so I won't go into that detail. Basically, once you get the console apart, take apart the shift gate as much as possible. Once the gate is clear, you can see the 15mm nut at the base of the shift rod that needs to be loosened. I had read in other posts that this nut was 17mm, but found that on my 91 560, it is 15mm. Also stated elsewhere is that it's the lower nut that needs to be loosened, but it's the top on mine (once you get in there you'll see what I'm talking about.) Once loosened, unscrew the rod and remove. Reverse procedure with the new knob and your done!

These are very simplistic instructions, but I just wanted to let everyone know it can be done by an amateur. I do not possess any special mechanical skills and found it to be relatively simple.

Here's a couple of pictures of my result...

the wood matches exactly, but it looks in pictures like the center console is darker - it's a result of the flash hitting the knob and console on different planes.

Hope this helps some of you out there on the fence on whether or not to take on this task. Feel free to email me any questions you may have.

tw

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Twalton...

Looks good...

I've got a replacement wooden gearshift that's been sat in a drawer for about a year now...

I tried to install it once, but the problem I ran into was once I'd removed the ashtray, coin tray, wood trim and plastic gate cover...

Once all that's off... then what...?

The gearshift seems to disappear into a fairly solid looking metal box/gate...

·
Registered
2008 S550 designo
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What year is your car? That may have something to do with it. Once I got the gate opened up, it was pretty clear what was next. The nut to loosen is at the lowest part you can get a wrench to.

tw

1 - 3 of 3 Posts