Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
'95 S-600, '94 s-420, '07 Carrera 4S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

My '95 S-600 refreshment/restoration/adventure is almost over. Once she got off the ship and was delivered to me at the registration centre she wouldn't start. Assumption was a dead battery which was replaced. Real problem turned out to be the wiring harness that manages the oil pressure gauge which was burnt. Various minor mechanical issues were sorted by my excellent mechanics here. And then she was struggling in reverse so it was decided to do a transmission rebuild. She's running beautifully now. Pictures follow shortly when she's finished at the upholsterer. All of that preamble was to explain that I really need the piece of wood in the photo. Not the gearshift surround but the piece with the holes for the window switches etc. Previous owner superglued it in place and as you can see the mirror switch is not seated correctly. Any help will be greatly appreciated. BTW I will have a full set of black leather seat covers for sale shortly. No scratches or rips.

Attachments

· W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,896 Posts
Hello Garth
Not only you need the wood but you also need to rearrange the buttons as well lets hope the previous owner didn't chop the wires shorter, the rear blind button should be opposite the rearview mirror/fold in mirrors etc adjustment knob & the rear headrest button should be on top of the upper fascia wood where the alarm button is .You can cut them yourself into any matching console that dosnt have it with a dremmel tool beeing careful,in the back of every fascia there are already the plastic holder spaces there ,even if the wood is not cut for it ,all you need is to either find one with lots of extra holes or one even with less holes cut out, you could add some extra buttons later if you like,the important part is that the wood colour matches the rest of the wood inside ,like Burlwood or Zebrano ,cherry colour & so on & on ..... .
I assume that you have the black chrome surround that covers the gap around the shifterwood .
Best place to look I suggest is e'bay for that or maybe Eddie A here on the forum might be able to supply you one .
Below is what it should look like,where you have the rearhead rest lower button is where the speaker fade goes for sound front/back/even .:thumbsup:

Attachments

· Registered
'95 S-600, '94 s-420, '07 Carrera 4S
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. The previous Japanese owner had installed all of the usual ugly add-ons, huge tv screen, gps etc. He/she used a lot of glue so my original upper facia was no good. After looking around I found a good one from w140 in the uk and a glovebox door in Atlanta. Unfortunately had to take what I could find, condition being more important than originality. Some of the switches on the upper facia are my fault the lower ones came like that. My facia doesn't have the hole in they'd picture you sent. I think it's best I find a piece with the same number of holes. Yes I have the plastic surround just took it off when we were trying to reseat the mirror switch.

Attachments

· Registered
99" CL500 , 99' CL500, 97' S500, 01' S500, 02’ G500, 09’ G550
2,171 Posts
I want to buy everything those guys sell... damn, probably worth more than the car and my 500 just hit 171k miles... GREAT FIND for you Garth.

1995 S420, 1995 SL320, 2008 Aston Martin Vantage, 2000 Land Rover Discovery II
2,351 Posts
No problem... definitely report back on your experience with them, if you decide to get anything. Very curious as to their quality and service.

· W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,896 Posts
That is a nice link with lots of good addons for the 140 ,yes ,wait until you get to see the price list ,i got that price list here somewhere in my pc ,that was the day i deleted the link for that website .
You are better of restoring the one you got or check the E'bay link I added below ,there are a fair fiew available ,you think they are expensive ? no not really but until you have seen that pricelist from the above link ,its like a dollar against them ,lol.
All you need to do on yours is to replace the bottom black plastic ,its in two pieces ,one large one underneat for the windowswitches & one slightly curved one for the back towards the armrest (that's the one you need ) ,with that part you can hook the console back in ,I might have one here for you ,don't know have to check .:thumbsup:
Mercedes W140 console | eBay

=================================================
No luck I used the 2 back parts on this new 600 already because mine to was glued on, only the front that attaches to the console with the 2 screws is left on it (picture'd below),if you not to sure wich part i mean look below,you need the rear part with the 2 hooks on it ,its a little rectangle square made of plastic,it is attached to the wood with some glue & 2 staples,comes of easy with patienz,that's all there is to it .:thumbsup:

Attachments

1995 S420, 1995 SL320, 2008 Aston Martin Vantage, 2000 Land Rover Discovery II
2,351 Posts
I attached a PDF of the price list they sent me a while back... never ordered anything though, just curious about what they had available.

The center console goes for $368 and the floor console (around the shifter) is $298. The inlay for the gearshift gate itself is another $98.

So to do your full console, that's just under $800, which, to be honest, doesn't seem too bad to me when you consider what everything else on the car costs.

Attachments

· W140 Moderator
7,896 Posts
I attached a PDF of the price list they sent me a while back... never ordered anything though, just curious about what they had available.

The center console goes for $368 and the floor console (around the shifter) is $298. The inlay for the gearshift gate itself is another $98.

So to do your full console, that's just under $800, which, to be honest, doesn't seem too bad to me when you consider what everything else on the car costs.
At the time I wanted something from them it was the rear picnic tables ,so far the price for them hasn't changed but yeah not to bad of a price for a complete NEW console fascia (s) in regards for what is available on ebay .
Thanks for posting the list Thom7,saves me searching my pc wich is full of 140 stuff everywhere all over the place .:thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.