Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have already searched all of the archives. I found a link once but the link is now dead and any videos I found here are for older or different models, plus the server is currently down for videos in our Sticky help videos. Does anybody have a good current link for a video or detailed instructions for removing the wood console for my 1998 SL500 R129.
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hi I would think that they are all held in in the same way despite year ie you remove the radio then the heater controls and in that gap where the heater control fits there are 2 bolts one on each side which you remove -then pull the consol back and slightly up from the part nearest the seat and remove the connections to all the switches ,and lift out over gear lever -if on the later cars this is not right Im sure someone will correct me :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
It been a long time since I've done this...but I'll add to the previous posters comments. Also remove the trim ring around the gear shift, don't twist or bend the panel while removing it or the clear coat will crack in the corners near the ashtray. This part is over $1500 from the dealer, so be careful.

You have to get the rear portion of the panel up and out a bit before you can slip it out from under the edge of the dash at the top portion. It's somewhat difficult to do without flexing the panel too much and cracking the finish.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Everthing here so far is correct. One hint I'd add is that you have to pull up a little on the rear of the cover to pull the gearshift trim ring up. Then you can remove it easily. For a MY98 you also need to remove 2 screws in the ashtray compartment. The cigar lighter will also pop out and you can pull the wire out a bit and unplug a connector to remove it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts