Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1985 380SL w 5OO SEL block, 2005 SL500, 2011 C300
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 SL500 no longer goes back into park while foot is on brake. If I release my foot off the brake, it goes easily.The cars also no longer downshifts while driving. I read somewhere (here) that there is a plastic piece (bushing?) in the shift linkage that breaks causing these symptoms.
I can disassemble the center console for access but once I do, will I be able to get that bushing out and 2.) get a replacement or is it like headlights where you have to buy the entire assembly.
Thanks in advance.
Mike

·
Registered
2004 SL500, 2014 C350 Sport
220 Posts
The plastic piece breaks and affects your ability to physically move the shifter—it has no affect on the automatic shifting. Are you saying your car no longer changes gears while driving? If so, that is a problem with the internal turbine speed sensor.

The first problem is relatively easy, but requires removing the shift assembly. Search YouTube or the forums for how to do it. You can get an aluminum aftermarket piece to replace it, or leave it out. Leaving it out only allows you to move the shift lever without stepping on the brake. (You cannot start the car without stepping on the brake.) This was a safety mandate after the tragic Audi 5000 unintended acceleration scandal of the late 1980s. Not replacing the broken piece may be a violation of federal law or cause you to fail a car safety inspection.

If the transmission speed sensor is failing, you need to remove the conductor plate and send it off for repair. Circuit Board Medics is a good source. Again, there are videos on how to do this. Check www.circuitboardmedics.com.

·
Premium Member
1985 380SL w 5OO SEL block, 2005 SL500, 2011 C300
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, JettaRed. Yes, that is the culprit, no doubt. Car shifts fine automatically. I can no longer manually downshift. Thank you for sending the image of the part. Would it happen to also provide the part no.? Would save me a trip to the MBZ parts dept. If not, no worries. Thanks again. Mike

·
Registered
2004 SL500, 2014 C350 Sport
220 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts