Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several of you have asked, others may have thought:

With so many driving options to choose from, why do I invest what appears to be so much time, money, resources on my w140's?

Here's why:

There is no better driving option out there. Plain and simple.

That is a fact.

Here's the commentary to back that up:

The new MB S-classes are diminished vehicles from the W140. They are less well engineered. Yes, they have more electronics, are more 'modern' in their size, their look, but they are lesser cars than a well-maintained w140. Current cars are not as durable, not as well made, not as well equipped in terms of features not likely to return: heavy gauge metal, double pane windows, spacious dimensions, with quality features to go with them. Who makes a car today with a electronically controlled rear view mirror, like on the 1992-1996 models? Who makes a car with double pane glass? What car is equipped with an interior consisting entirely of either wood, leather, suede, and plush carpets?

I'm not even considering MB competitors. I believe they pale in comparison to MB in their basic philosophy: MB will stand behind their cars completely, there is no plan of obsolescence when it comes to any product MB puts on the road. There is not another car company that will keep producing or stocking any part for any car it has ever made, therefore, investing in any other marque, say BMW, is a waste, as they will eventually cease making parts avaialble, typically as young as after 15-years. Meanwhile, GM offerings barely last 10-years before they go obsolete.

Today, 20-years after the first w140 made it to the US market, these cars have the classic beauty that will last. And since we can still get parts, investing in them is still worthwhile.

I welcome other views.

·
Registered
94 s420 250kmiles
827 Posts
i think the only car today that stacks up against the 140 would be the maybach 57, they even used the 140 as a test platform where they tested all the new drivetrain and other bits and pieces.

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not the same argument:

While I agree with you that the Maybach is a worthy car when compared to the w140, the investment value of efforts put towards a w140 are far better than putting the same effort towards a Maybach. I'm not sure you can pick up a $250k Maybach for $12-15k. You can buy a $100k w140 for $2500, and go from there.

·
Registered
94 s420 250kmiles
827 Posts
i dont think i would buy a 140 for $2500, nor a 57 for $15k for that matter, the maybach of course is a far newer car, they are in far different price brackets, im just saying the 57 is like a new and updated 140, it has all the cool new crap they put in cars these days, but it also has the build quality that you know when you touch it it will last for the next 15-20 years like the 92-95 s-class.

edit: think about it, in 15-20 years the 57 will be like our 140 is now.

·
Registered
1992 500 SEL; 2000 CLK 430 CONV. 2000 BMW 740 BMW
94 Posts
w 140s they are fast strong and never fail and easy to work on them

thanks to the benzworld.org and his members

Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Slowhands: You may be very right - in 15 or 20-years from now, about the Maybach. But that's 15 or 20-years from now. I'm talking here and now.

The w140 presents such a great car buying, car maintaining value, right now!

·
Registered
1994 S320, S 600 1994 , SL 600 1999
448 Posts
in simple words,
there is no classic car in the entire market which can give u so many gizmos provided you have a fully loaded W140,
W 140 is a car of which presence is definitely noticed even by a non enthusiast,
for the owner " it is neighbours envy owners pride"
you have everything a latest car can boast of..
i am so much in love with my w140,cant get better than this..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1995 S500 coupe, 1990 Mazda Miata
694 Posts
Stryker, I found your example of $2500 interesting as that's exactly what I paid for my coupe. I've spent about 5K bringing it back to it's former glory, and I can safely say that $7500 would have not bought me anything close to the standards of this car. After two years I still love getting in this car and I've always been one to trade fairly often. I've done all the work myself so it has made the restoration less expensive but the time spent getting to know this car and the time enjoying the driving experience leaves me without any doubt that I'm doing the right thing. Granted these cars aren't for everyone but for the right person, in my opinion, they can't be beat.

·
Registered
1992 500 SEL; 2000 CLK 430 CONV. 2000 BMW 740 BMW
94 Posts
true

Stryker, I found your example of $2500 interesting as that's exactly what I paid for my coupe. I've spent about 5K bringing it back to it's former glory, and I can safely say that $7500 would have not bought me anything close to the standards of this car. After two years I still love getting in this car and I've always been one to trade fairly often. I've done all the work myself so it has made the restoration less expensive but the time spent getting to know this car and the time enjoying the driving experience leaves me without any doubt that I'm doing the right thing. Granted these cars aren't for everyone but for the right person, in my opinion, they can't be beat.
You are correct sr.

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,064 Posts
My point of view is different!

Every car is a losing economic proposition-I just see it that way. With the car being an economic loss for money.

The blow is lessened by being able to do hard-core DIY's, and a rear-wheel driven car with shocks, and a timing chain. Is BIG BIG plus for the DIY'er. It helps to keep cost down by everything being accessible for service. Plus, most Mercedes models a well documented for DIY service, and the level of service is well documented for the owner. No other brand, that I have seen has such a following of committed followers. All of that is a bargain-saves time, and money because their is no need to re-invent the wheel for service.

Every car is death-trap in and accident environment, and some less than others, but this car is the best. This is the car I want to be in an accident. If "Diana's driver" can survive a 100mph head on by wearing a seat belt, that is a remarkable accomplishment.
One may say, "but i do not drive 100mph everyday?" oh yes you do...50mph this direction for you, and 50 mph that direction for the incoming driver-for a combined energy of 100mph...

This car will save me in medical bills as I see it, yet not that I'm being paranoid about death, but let me have a deciding decision on good old ME!!-I need a bargain to live-this car is it. Plus, the USA is one of the few country's where one can be millionaire and go bankrupt because a medical condition as the result of our health system. It is number reason for bankruptcy in the USA.

I'm in my mid 40's and semi retired..no need to lose my dough to medical bills...

Martin

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes Benz 300E, 179K, stock, daily driver
1,689 Posts
Theres people that just want to get in their cars and just drive from point a to point b, they go to the dealership because it's a convenience to them and they don't think of a car of something special so why would they pay the premium price, they'd rather just drive it and go somewhere with no joy.

·
Registered
1998 W140 S420
271 Posts
Hmm, a w140 is a worthy investment since you are getting alot of car for your money, but people today, well at least in america find cheap and fuel efficient cars more desirable for some reason, but every time when i see something like a smart i think, if i was to crash into it at... lets say 40 miles per/hour, ok maybe 30, it will still be left in pieces. I cant believe how much value this car lost, but the money we invest we know we wont get back, but who cares? Newer cars depreciate, and will eventually break too, so whats the point? One even with a prius will loose money

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
$4000 for a decent w140
$10000 in replacing or fixing everything busted or half assed back to new.
$14000 for a $75000+ car that will work better in every way than a 2 year old impala for $14000, and no car payment.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
282 Posts
What guarantee can you provide that the 20 year old car will more reliable even with 10,000 spent on it? These are old junks now and should be avoided unless you get one at a dirt price including all the parts.

·
Registered
96 and 08 911 turbos
2,988 Posts
stryker,
how many times must you rehash the EXACT.SAME.TOPIC?

Have you not gotten social confirmation of your vehicular choices from an extremely biased group yet this month?

Not to mention your "fact" is obviously an opinion.

·
Registered
1995 S500 coupe, 1990 Mazda Miata
694 Posts
Styker, I believe your bait has caught an Oliverfish. For a lot of us, the biased opinion is based strickly on the driving experience, and as I've worked in auto dealerships since the 70's, my personal bias is based on the fact that of the vehicles I can afford, I've yet to drive anything better in 35+ years. This is absolutely only an opinion.

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
What guarantee can you provide that the 20 year old car will more reliable even with 10,000 spent on it? These are old junks now and should be avoided unless you get one at a dirt price including all the parts.
LOL. Anything can be rebuilt to a high standard of reliability with enough money. Stryker has a lot of money, but no, there is no guarantee that you speak of. Regardless, a well-kept 20 year old car, whether Mercedes or Honda, is far from junk. But, to be sure, there are plenty of junk W140s out there.

Brett

·
Premium Member
M120, M119, W126*2 + Silver Avantgarde wagon
4,742 Posts
Well, I think it can be a bit more than just opinion... for so many of the reasons that many 140 Forum members, not just Stryker has mentioned: - weight, build quality, materials used, attention to detail, customercomplaints about early model W220 reliability etc.

However, back to opinion - this weekend I test drove a 2006 CL500 and a newer S class, and then I hopped back into my car. It's a fact that my opinion was I was relieved to get back into my car.... :)

And Brett is 100% right a well kept MB is far from junk!

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We gather at this Forum, in a group, to discuss our particular choice of automobile.

Some of us have difficulty rationalizing spending what is necessary to keep our cars in good order, some of us seek short term solutions that may be cheaper at the outset but eventually and in the longer term, we are talking similar costs to maintain.

Given the marked quality of the w140, given the engineering details, the build quality, the solidity of the car, even when compared to later models of any of a variety of makers, not just Mercedes, it makes economic sense that we maintain these cars in the manner they require.

For where else might a person obtain the quality of a w140 for the price of the aforementioned used Impala?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts