Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96' Mercedes S600
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I own a 96' Mercedes S600 which was imported from Germany to the US. I'm trying to replace this coolant part, but I don't know if my Benz is with rear AC or without. I have a vent in the center counsel and for the feet in the rear, but I don't have no rear controls. And in my case, dealer is unable to tell. Can someone help me please before I buy te wrong part??

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I'm 99% sure that A/C is standard on all W140s for front and rear. I believe some german S600s didn't have separate climate control systems for the rear. From what I understand it was standard on all US models only.

By the way the floor vents are not for A/C.

·
Registered
96' Mercedes S600
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that's the thing. I have AC control in the front and a vent in the back. When I turn the AC on, it blows cold air in the back, but I have no temperature control in the rear. Just an open or close option. So is this considered with rear AC or without. In my opinion, I would think that without rear AC would have no vent in the back at all.

·
Registered
1997 CL500
1,227 Posts
You don't have rear A/C. The rear air vents just blow cold air. Rear A/C cars have temperature select switches in the rear air vent.

·
Registered
1995 S500 Long Base
37 Posts
It´s rare in a S600 model, but your 600 model is 100% without a four zone temp.
No rear A/C.

Malachias (Brazil)

·
Registered
1995 S500 Long Base
37 Posts
BTW. Replacing the coolant doesn´t have nothing with the A/C.
The coolant is a liquid (50% etileno glicol plus 50% water) that goes at your engine cooling system.
If you are asking about the replacing your gaz system at your A/C you can find the exact
amount at the label in the radiator top.

Malachias (Brazil)

·
Registered
111/123/124/126/140/201
925 Posts
If you dont have the control panel at rear (three wheels that control fan speed and left/right temperature), that means you dont have the rear AC. It is not standard even for S600 (FYI the rear heated seats are not standard for S600 as well)

·
Registered
96' Mercedes S600
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW. Replacing the coolant doesn´t have nothing with the A/C.
The coolant is a liquid (50% etileno glicol plus 50% water) that goes at your engine cooling system.
If you are asking about the replacing your gaz system at your A/C you can find the exact
amount at the label in the radiator top.

Malachias (Brazil)

The part I am replacing on my engine for my cooling system calls for with rear AC or without rear AC because the parts are slightly different.

@jcmbz My 600 does have the rear heated seats option :D

Thanks guys!! now I know my car is without rear AC.

·
Registered
111/123/124/126/140/201
925 Posts
The part I am replacing on my engine for my cooling system calls for with rear AC or without rear AC because the parts are slightly different.

@jcmbz My 600 does have the rear heated seats option :D

Thanks guys!! now I know my car is without rear AC.
If i remember right, S600 has those standard
1) Headlight wiper washer
2) ESP
3) Steel sunroof
4) Front heated seat

Below were some of the options for my 140
247 SEAT ADJUSTMENT ELEC. ALSO OPERABLE FROM REAR
303 FRONT FOLDING ARMREST WITH TRAY
414 ELECTRIC TILT/SLIDE SUNROOF IN GLASS VERSION
511 RADIO MB EXQUISIT WITH VK,RDS (PANASONIC)
540 ROLLER BLIND, ELECTRIC, FOR REAR WINDOW
582 AIR CONDITIONER IN THE REAR
617 LAMP UNIT: XENON HEADLAMPS ASSYMMETRICAL
682 FIRE EXTINGUISHER
732 BIRDSEYE MAPLE WOOD TRIM, BLACK

·
Registered
W140 600 SEL 1992, C 140 CL 600 1998 , W116 450SEL 6,9 1978 , 300SEL 3,5 1970 , 500SL R129 1991
108 Posts
rear air / Euro 140s

In Europe the rear air conditioner was never standard, not even on an S600, and is a very rare option. It was quite expensive.
If there are three little wheels at the rear grille, its a 4 zone, if not, it just blows unconditioned fresh air.

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
On my 92 500 the rear vent blows A/C but not heat there are only two options, on and off and directional louvers. If you had the optional rear heat and A/C there is a separate unit in the lower armrest glove box. Heat comes out of the vents under the seat, the unit had adjustible control wheels (temp and fan speed) and was fed by both heater lines and A/C refrigerant

·
Registered
111/123/124/126/140/201
925 Posts
In Europe the rear air conditioner was never standard, not even on an S600, and is a very rare option. It was quite expensive.
If there are three little wheels at the rear grille, its a 4 zone, if not, it just blows unconditioned fresh air.
not really, it blows cold air too when AC turned on in the hot summer....
my coupe did that!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts